DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 1998: Kandori vs. Hotta V. CMLL Trios

Phil Schneider

I'm torn. That is a great heel performance from Santo, and you've booked two surprise endings against each other. This one is really a toss-up for me and I have a feeling neither is actually the best match from '98. 

EDIT: It is really cool seeing a slick and spry Niebla too, before the booze got him

Let me begin by saying how jarring it is to see Casas as a smiling babyface. Not that he's a bad tecnico (he's a great one, in fact), but it's just so far removed from what I expect to see. On that note, I was kind of surprised to see Santo on the rudo team. I thought he had returned to the tecnico side by this point. I guess not. Santo/Casas and Atlantis/Panther obviously need no introduction, but I have no idea what beef Niebla and Warrior have with each other, if at all. The first fall is mostly contested on the mat, and it's as good as you'd expect. I especially liked Warrior and Niebla busting out the Rick Rude tombstone spot. The second fall is kind of perfunctory to the point where I can't remember anything that happened in it. The third fall is when all hell breaks loose. It's one of those falls where so much is happening that it's hard to keep track of it all. It probably comes across a lot better watching it live in the arena. We get a cheap unmasking DQ finish, which I assume was an attempt to set the table for an Atlantis/Panther apuesta match that obviously never happened. Fun match overall. It wouldn't be my pick for 1998 MOTY (neither would Kandori/Hotta, for that matter), but I'm glad I watched it.