DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT (The Amazon TV Series)

RIPPA

Finished it. Fucking loved it. More than that, holy shit, my hypothesis was right!!!

Spoiler

I don’t ever remember it being spelled out in the games, but I had long suspected that Vault Tec was behind the end of the world just because so many of the vaults were setup for experimentation and control groups and it can’t be good for your bottom line of the thing you’re selling never has a purpose. The only thing I couldn’t figure out was the how behind it all, like how did the pull it off.

And then in FO4, if memory serves, it makes it sound like the Institute was responsible. Or maybe it was the Enclave. So that put a dent in my hypothesis that Vault Tec started it.

So I was basically flabbergasted when the show confirms that Vault Tec indeed started the Great War. My guess is they got a hold of some weapons here and in China, set them off, made it look like the war was on, and everyone launched their missiles. I was even correct on the why behind it all. I’m sure others had the same idea, but it’s fun to nail a guess every now and then.

Even still, that scene with Coop hearing what was being planned juxtaposed with what Lucy was learning was incredible. And sad.

This was so perfect. It basically felt like FO5. In fact, I have no idea what you even do for the next FO game with the series giving so much information in the first season. It’s just amazing how well they pulled off the humor, look, sound, and really everything about the FO universe. I don’t even know if you can call this an adaption since it’s basically a continuation of the story from the games, but it’s the best game to screen translation ever. I think even better than The Last of Us.

I’m definitely going to rewatch this with my wife since she seemed sold by the first episode. There are so many Easter eggs and humorous bits that I want to remember.

Finally, props to this whole cast. They’re amazing. I got a big pop out of Johnny Pemberton being in this and now, who knows, he either got the immortality serum or…the FEV. For hilarity’s sake I hope it’s the latter. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Finished it. Fucking loved it. More than that, holy shit, my hypothesis was right!!!

Hide contents

I don’t ever remember it being spelled out in the games, but I had long suspected that Vault Tec was behind the end of the world just because so many of the vaults were setup for experimentation and control groups and it can’t be good for your bottom line of the thing you’re selling never has a purpose. The only thing I couldn’t figure out was the how behind it all, like how did the pull it off.

And then in FO4, if memory serves, it makes it sound like the Institute was responsible. Or maybe it was the Enclave. So that put a dent in my hypothesis that Vault Tec started it.

So I was basically flabbergasted when the show confirms that Vault Tec indeed started the Great War. My guess is they got a hold of some weapons here and in China, set them off, made it look like the war was on, and everyone launched their missiles. I was even correct on the why behind it all. I’m sure others had the same idea, but it’s fun to nail a guess every now and then.

Even still, that scene with Coop hearing what was being planned juxtaposed with what Lucy was learning was incredible. And sad.

Spoiler

I don't think FO4 ever presented a theory. The Institute was definitely not a possibility as it didn't exist until post bombs drop. From my understanding the games have always presented multiple theories with the Enclave, Vault Tec, Aliens, China shot first, etc. all being possible. Its looking more and more like some combo of the first two made it happen as the show hinted that the Enclave are the ones in charge of the main vault overseeing all of the vaults based on comments from Emerson's character. They are also likely the ones hiding in the shadows as the big businesses discuss sharing the vaults.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

I don't think FO4 ever presented a theory. The Institute was definitely not a possibility as it didn't exist until post bombs drop. From my understanding the games have always presented multiple theories with the Enclave, Vault Tec, Aliens, China shot first, etc. all being possible. Its looking more and more like some combo of the first two made it happen as the show hinted that the Enclave are the ones in charge of the main vault overseeing all of the vaults based on comments from Emerson's character. They are also likely the ones hiding in the shadows as the big businesses discuss sharing the vaults.

Regarding who did it, in one of the expansions, or somewhere else, you see logs of who did what. You’re right though, it wouldn’t have been the Institute. I sunk so many hours into the game that I should remember, but it is kinda/sorta spelled out in a submarine you visit.

• Like 1