DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam 2013: Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. Ten Today.

The Natural

SummerSlam 2013 turns ten today.

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena is Bryan's best ever match, Cena's best ever match and my 2013 MOTY in a loaded year with WWE and NJPW.  A ***** match. Contentious opinions those. The slap exchange resulting from the go home RAW promo by Bryan about wrestlers slapping each other in Japan to fire themselves up but won't to Cena as he's an entertainer but he does in the match. The debut of the running knee. What a way to establish a new move putting down the ace clean as a sheet, few get to do that and Bryan did winning the WWE Championship. Then Triple H special guest referee hit Bryan with a Pedigree for Orton to cash in his Money in the Bank contract.

I really like Brock Lesnar vs. CM Punk, great match but not as much as most do. Always felt Bryan/Cena was better but from what I've read, most prefer Lesnar/Punk. I'll have to rewatch it. Hope to make the time today to watch this and Bryan/Cena.

Alberto Del Rio has one of his better matches vs. Christian defending the World Heavyweight Championship. Still pisses me off the notable prick won. Said it then and now, Christian should have.

I woke up to watch SummerSlam 2013 live and it was worth losing sleep over. I very rarely buy shows on DVD but this was an exception. I still have it to this day.

Edited by The Natural

• The Natural changed the title to SummerSlam 2013: Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. Ten Today.

Thinking back to this show I recall going into it being really unenthusiastic about what was certain to be yet another SuperCena victory.

I wondered if (beyond my own projection of course) if that might have been the prevailing factor in what was apparently perceived as a ppv buy rate fail put upon Bryans shoulders.  I’d also posit that a lack of faith in the company to make correct crowd pleasing decisions might have played the biggest factor.  But that would just be “rumor and innuendo”.

After all the “Face of the Company” was practically its own championship for several years.