DVDVR Message Board

WrestlePosium IV: April 1, 2023 @ 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. EST

Lee B.

The Professional Wrestling Studies Association (PWSA) is hosting WrestlePosium IV, which will be taking place on Zoom next Saturday, April 1st from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST.  Panel topics include:

Actual Health, Injuries, and Illness as a Result of Pro Wrestling

Representations of Health, Injury, and Illness in Professional Wrestling

Wrestling in Cyberspace and Beyond

Wrestling in Academia and Overseas

Abraham Reisman, author of "True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee" and the upcoming "Ringmaster: Vince McMahon and the Unmaking of America", will provide the academic keynote address.  

Mike Lackey, who wrote the WCW comic published by Marvel comics in 1992-1993, will provide the professional keynote address.

[Personal note: I worked in the same office for a short time as Mike Lackey when I was an intern at Marvel Comics in 1990.  I invited Mike to speak, and he told me: "my talk will be about wrestlers as superheroes. Working with Turner licensing, and experiences with Scott Hall & Marc Mero. All good, fun, positive stories with some good laughs." I am really looking forward to Mike's talk!]

You can find more information and register for free at https://www.prowrestlingstudies.org/wrestleposium-iv-april-1-2023/

Best regards,

Lee Benaka

PWSA Non-Academic Representative

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I misread the title as “WrestlePossum” and, boy, was I curious.

Despite the lack of Possum content, I still think Wrestleposium IV is worth checking out!  Cheers, Lee

On 3/27/2023 at 2:37 PM, odessasteps said:

I should dig out some of the stuff I wrote back in the 90s. Sadly, Ted and I did not overlap at Bowling Green, when I think he was doing wrestling stuff but my interest at the time was more about metatext. 

That would be great!  If you didn't publish at the time, maybe you could dust it off and publish it with the Professional Wrestling Studies Association's journal.  Best, Lee