DVDVR Message Board

Andre the Giant y Cien Caras vs. Alfonso Dantes, Herodes y Sangre Chicana (1981)

Phil Schneider

Andre getting asked about the shiner and saying "whatever happen today or tomorrow, you never know" is so dark. I don't even want to know what happened to the dude that decided to punch him the night before in whatever sleazy Mexican dive Frenchy and him were at. I imagine it was something like the beginning of this match but the dude who would be Chicana had his head hit the cement and open up like a watermelon dropped from a great height. To emphasize my point there is a completely coincidental crowd fight! Nice. Andre was clearly having fun tonight, cornering Sangre (which looks terrifying), pulling him up by his tights, soaking in the crowd. Things to learn: 1. You can not sneak up on Andre. 2. Andre will tag in when he wants to tag in. 3. Andre's ass is made of steel. Everyone is bitching about the length and maybe this could have just been one fall but it wasn't that bad. Andre decided to go home when he wanted to and start the party back up. Some of the best schtick you will ever see is here and I don't blame Will for making it a personal pick. 

• 5 months later...

I really love Sangre Chicana sticking his chest out and his chin out at Andre before the match starts. And then backpedaling out of the ring when Andre steps to him. Everyone in the crowd looks away from the ring and the cameraman helps us out by focusing on the fight in the crowd. That amuses me. Chicana's realization that his partners have left him to be the guy to start the match against Andre is great. "Wait, me?" There is some great stooging and comedy in the first fall. Love the rudos trying to sucker the ref into DQ'ing Andre in the first fall for a low blow that never happened. Love the visual of the 3 rudos crawling all over Andre in the corner. Love Andre holding onto Caras and daring the 3 rudos to come at them. Don't like how inconsistent the ref is about enforcing a tag rule. Pretty much any time Caras ends up in a hold it ends with Andre charging in and taking over. Caras & Andre win the first fall in pretty dominant fashion. In the 2nd fall I like how the 3 rudos finally end up getting control on Andre and Caras having to save him. Caras gets in trouble but then Andre just charges in again and eventually wins the 2nd fall pretty much by himself. Fun match.