DVDVR Message Board

Canelo vs. Lara

goodhelmet

I saw like 27 different score variations of the fight on Twitter. Fascinatiing stuff.

Anyway, I stopped scoring after round 5 or 6. I knew the fight was heading towards the "I Got Robbed" post-fight speech territory. The problem with Lara's gameplan is he was clearly waiting for Canelo to get tired. Thus, he gave away about 2-3 rounds towards the last quarter of the fight. It would be different if he had knockdown or hurt Alvarez a few times in the first six rounds. That's the behavior you expect in like round 10 in a fight with an eight point seperation. But not when every round is close before that point. So by the time he figured out Canelo wasn't getting that tired, he turned it up. But that was rounds 10 through 12. Therefore, Canelo winning on the cards wasn't that big of a surprise.

I agree. His strategy was sound but he didn't go in with the idea of ripping the title from Canelo. He went in with the idea he would out-box Canelo and those almost never result in title changes. I wish these guys spoke English because the vitriol of the post-match interviews could sell some interviews.