DVDVR Message Board

An 8 Bit Mind - In an 8 Gigabyte World - Foz's Video Game Blog...

SirFozzie

Part Two of the Star Wars Retrospective is up! Featuring X-Wing, and it's various sequels. Instead of writing about all these games, I should be playing them (they're available and updated to play on modern machines too!) 

(and I wonder if I was the only one who decided to pay full price for the CD-ROM edition of X-wing, rather then send in my game disc and wait for them to send me the special edition)

I love you like family and will visit your blog even though you thought Alpha Protocol was a good game.

Oh, so the gentleman writing this blog has impeccable taste and holds opinions that should be dearly valued, I see.

Well, let me read further!

I have heard a lot about this opioid epidemic plaguing our great nation and now I have proof.

I'm already looking at this going.. "Fifteen game challenges completed in a month? Foz, you are NUTS!" (but then again, y'all already knew that!) The main goal is the Four, the rest are bonus goals, and you'll be able to watch me all next month attempt this on Twitch.

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php/2016/01/21/announcing-the-fozs-four-for-february-challenge-with-bonus/

Couple new posts up, breaking down the Atari Vault (including classic arcade games), and breaking down Game Informer's Top 50 of the year, and some of the statistics will surprise you!

(also in blog news, we will be running streams at least 6 days a week, starting around 8 PM Eastern daily)

A new edition of Wot I'm Playing, as my gaming group has decided they're in the mood for BIG GIANT STOMPY ROBOT gameplay, and you don't get much bigger, gianter, or.. (um.. stompier? Is that a word?) then Battletech, a game three decades strong and getting stronger!

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php/2016/02/01/wot-im-playing-part-1-battletech/

Oh, and I've started the Fifteen for February, and will have a report on the first game in the Core Four, Darkest Dungeon later today!

Darkest Dungeon.

A game about flawed heroes, a dungeon into the mouth of hell itself. And despite the heroes being flawed, spending their time they're NOT fighting the minions of darkness.. drinking and gambling, and whoring.. being even more heroic because they're so flawed. And because there's no phoenix downs, no 1ups here. They die, they're gone forever (especially because the game frequently autosaves to prevent savescumming).

So, you get more invested when that character you spent hours and hours building up that came through for you time and time again dies because you thought he could pull it out one more time, and you asked for that one step over the line.

It's great. I love it.

And it's the first game in my Fifteen for February attempt.

Please, all of you, do not tell me you are playing X-Com 2 before Friday. This game is getting the hottest reviews I've sen, and it's unusual for any February release to be called a shoe-in for game of the year consideration, but.. yeah, we're there. I'll have a full review of it up on release.

https://www.an8bitmind.com/index.php/2016/02/02/x-com-2-reviews-are-coming-in/

We have a bunch of new articles up: More on Darkest Dungeon and how the developers have actively made the game harder, EVE offshoot gets cancelled to make way for another offshoot, the new Batman Game trainwreck means we won't see it on Mac or Linux, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst enters Closed Beta soon (with a new trailer!)

(oh, and we have a new Twitter Handle for An 8 Bit Mind, @An8BitMind