DVDVR Message Board

Hard Case Crime

OSJ

Just so it doesn't get lost in the discussion of The Colorado Kid, Jae's mention of this excellent line of books merits a topic all it's own. Rather than just rehashing what Black Lizard books did back in the day (essentially raid the archives of Lion Library and Gold Medal); Hard Case has offered up a very interesting blend of new and old with a mix of old school pulp and new novels in the genre. I was lucky enough to snag a lot of thirty books off eBay for $100 (a ridiculous bargain) and then had my buddies at departed books fill in the blanks. All were cover price except the damn King book which as per the usual was great story with no ending... Had to cough up $25 for it  just so I'd have the complete set. There's some titles I like more than others of course but not a one that I would say was a waste of money. The mixing of contemporary noir with the old school stuff is a stroke of brilliance, if Black Lizard had done that, they would probably have lasted instead of being absorbed by Vintage Library. (I mean it's kind of obvious that you're going to run out of Thompson, Rabe, Goodis, and company sooner rather than later, makes total sense to mix in new stuff that will keep the line going once you've exhausted the reprints.

Where should one start? How about start with a trifecta of Gil Brewer's The Vengeful Virgin, (Brewer was one of the best, sadly drank himself to death when his books stopped selling, his general premise is that the hero becomes enamored of a lovely young lady with something to hide...) Next since one must assume that you're a current or former wrestling fan since you inhabit these parts, try Christa Faust's Choke Hold. (Christa is hardcore wrestling fan (once we took over the video room at an sf convention, running out the Whovians so we could watch some Manami Toyota, but I digress...) Then finish off the trio with The Wounded and the Slain by David Goodis. (Goodis has the basic premise that everything starts out badly and gets immeasurably worse, he makes Jim Thompson seem like a cockeyed optimist and Cornell Woolrich the spirit of sweetness and light.) If you're not hooked after this trio, then you're probably safe in disregarding the rest of the line. On the other hand, if these ring your bell, you'll probably want the whole line...