DVDVR Message Board

Interesting.  I'd never heard that.  What was the Warlord doing prior to their pairing?  I can imagine him going "shit... I guess I'll take Hawk's hair since you already have a pretty decent 'Animal' going on...

Warlord broke into the business in 1986 and started doing the Warlord gimmick straight away - probably because he got into the business through Road Warrior Animal (Warlord worked out at a gym Animal owned and Animal got him into Crockett).  He was really green and Crockett farmed him out to Central States Wrestling where he tagged with.... Krusher Kovac, I think.  I also remember him doing at least one tour of Japan  during that time.

He came back to JCP in '88 and they paired him with the Barbarian and Paul Jones (Jones was still managing, but had disbanded the Paul Jones Army - and stopped dressing like Hitler, irrc).

• Like 1

Interesting.  I'd never heard that.  What was the Warlord doing prior to their pairing?  I can imagine him going "shit... I guess I'll take Hawk's hair since you already have a pretty decent 'Animal' going on...

Warlord broke into the business in 1986 and started doing the Warlord gimmick straight away - probably because he got into the business through Road Warrior Animal (Warlord worked out at a gym Animal owned and Animal got him into Crockett).  He was really green and Crockett farmed him out to Central States Wrestling where he tagged with.... Krusher Kovac, I think.  I also remember him doing at least one tour of Japan  during that time.

He came back to JCP in '88 and they paired him with the Barbarian and Paul Jones (Jones was still managing, but had disbanded the Paul Jones Army - and stopped dressing like Hitler, irrc).

I don't recall if Warlord had face paint when he first came in in '86, but the only thing that sticks in my mind is that he was a face and managed by Baby Doll.

Don't know if Konga is a 'stretch' per se as I believe the Powers of Pain evolved from the Roadies (anyone have cited confirmation from a shoot or an autobio?).  I *do* want to go back and rewatch Arnold's Conan films to see what was transferred to the wrestling world.

Barbarian started using the face paint/Road Warriors look when he came into Jim Crockett Promotions.  That was late 1984 or early 1985.  The Powers of Pain team with the Barbarian  formed in 1988.

BTW, he was never actually billed as "Konga the Barbarian" on a show or called that on commentary.  He was simply "The Barbarian".  The Apter mags are the only one who called him "Konga the Barbarian" to differentiate him from Nord the Barbarian who started in World Class at about the same time.  His previous gimmick was King Konga and he wore tights with the word "Konga" down the leg.  When he started doing the Barbarian gimmick, he wore the same tights.

Wow, that's great stuff.  I guess I never realized that....great, informative post.  Apter's stuff was so engrained in my mind.

I don't recall if Warlord had face paint when he first came in in '86, but the only thing that sticks in my mind is that he was a face and managed by Baby Doll.

Yeah, he came in as a face monster (*cough* Road Warriors *cough cough*).  Baby Doll had turned face and he was her "bodyguard".  And you're right.  No face paint, but otherwise, the look was basically the same as his Powers of Pain look.  Even had the Road Warrior black tights.

Looks like he was  around for about two months, then Crockett worked out a deal to effectively take control of Central States and shipped Warlord, Teijo Khan anda few others out there for seasoning.  Warlord started painting his face when he turned heel in Central States.

• Like 1