DVDVR Message Board

Combining Multiple DVDs to One Blu-Ray

Kevin Wilson

I messaged a few poor souls about this six months ago, but figured this time I would just make it a topic since now I have the hardware for it.

So currently I am in the process of shrinking my wrestling DVD collection by combining my multiple DVD events onto one blu-ray disk.  This is a long term project since I have hundreds of events, but I don't really have much space so in the long run it will help a bunch.  Anyway, I got the software and I already had the hardware, but here is the question - whats the best codec/bitrate/etc to not make the file size too big, but not lose any of the DVD quality?  I know that I could convert them to "HD" and have a huge file that looks great, but the DVDs of course aren't HD so it is just a waste of space.  But I don't want any loss at all.

I have been playing with H.264 and mkv, but the mkv I could tell a slight loss.  If anyone has done this and has any recommendations I would appreciate it.  I know lots of different software can do this, currently I am using DVD Shrink to copy the DVD to my computer, Leawo Blu-Ray Video Converter to combine the DVD files into one big file, and then Ashampoo to burn the Blu-ray.  I imagine there is an easier way with less software, but this trio seems to do the trick.  But I am open to suggestions.