DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

27 minutes ago, Dog said:

hand-up-raise-hand.gif

Pretty much anyone who knew Punk IRL from that time, even a little bit, could have seen it coming.

LOOOL I get that impression.  I listened to Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling last week and both are close friends of Colt, while Marty used to be friends with Punk ("Colt got me in the divorce, I guess") and it was such an enlightening show.  Not gossiping or bitter tea spilling or anything like that.  Just frank talk by two wrestling-adjacent people who know some wrestlers.  The part that really saddened me the most was Marty saying how he was talking about his experiences with therapy (he suffers from depression) with Punk and Punk flat out told him he didn't believe in therapy.  The other really sad part was Marty talking about Punk ghosting him and probably ghosting most of the people he's ever known.  Anyway, that pod is probably an acquired taste for some but I always enjoy it and this was a great episode.

It's sad because, watching that scrum, having some issues I'm working on myself from a bad childhood, and knowing the things that are public about Punk's upbringing, it's so easy to see that this is a guy with a lot of problems just raging at all his perceived enemies.  We can say "fuck Punk, he's an asshole" (and I have!) but when you see it through the lens of "this is a mentally ill person having a mental health episode live on YouTube for all to see," it's not hard to be really bummed about it.

Also, if you don't listen to "We Watch Wrestling" already, they had a great ep this week talking about all this, too. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 10

I remember the tough love part but didn't think he would say something like that.  I think it's wise to be a bit more conservative with hiring especially if there's lots more wresters than there is TV/Youtube time to feature them all.  But that's a discussion best served for the AEW thread.

Okay, I guess the one thing I'll say about Punk is this.  Before he came to AEW he seemed to be living his best life doing all kinds of random shit.  And in that time since WWE he had people missing him more as time went on.  The return was great and tears were shed and all seemed right in his world.  This was his chance to give back and leave on his terms when the time was right.  Awesome.  But then the year went as it did and this made me realize that by coming back he himself ruined his legacy.

It sucks because people are complex and I still appreciate Punk's commitment to those he loves.  That and his stance on certain things were pretty wonderful to see, especially when he'd wear it for all to see in states that aren't known to align with that way of thinking.  But for all that's good about Punk (and there still is) it's just frustrating and incredibly disappointing to see how things played out.

EDIT:  Just saw what Technico put up and that's very true as well.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Did they MAKE the system accommodate them? Or did they wait until the system chose to accommodate them?

4 hours ago, Log said:

I'd say they (particularly Danielson) dragged the company kicking and screaming into accommodating them.

Punk waited. The fanbase forced the issue for Bryan. To say he did it himself would be a bit much as he likely would have been good either way, and seemed fine knowing at least HHH fought hard for him.

3 minutes ago, Log said:

God, I hate myself for doing this kind of online psychiatrist bullshit, but here I go. Punk strikes me as more of a "I'll show these fuckers!"-motivated guy rather than straight-up ambitious. Agree?

Except we have heard from wrestlers who have said he played the locker room politics he openly shat on and tried to proclaim himself locker room leader only to fail miserably to get people to follow.

Seeing the alleged Kenny quote out there from multiple sources now (VOW, Last), it's clear somebody is at least looking to get that story out there. If it actually happened, I guess the most generous interpretation is maybe he thought he was trying to be funny and failed miserably? But that's a stretch, and it's a shitty thing to say if true. 

One person's "tough love" is another person's "heavy-handed," which was another phrase in the late August stories about the meeting. Even if the specific 80% quote is being misreported, it sounds like he might have split the room more than anyone else at that first meeting. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

Something I don't think we've discussed is the lack of CM Punk chants at AEW shows since this all went down. That's interesting to me. Did AEW crowds side with Bucks/Kenny? Did they side with the company? Do they just think they won't matter? I thought for sure there would've been one or two, especially that first week after everything.

• Like 4

The Punk support was softer following news that the Hangman callout wasn't part of the plan (well, aside from Punk's plan), especially during the Moxley match on Dynamite. Part of that is obviously attributable to Mox being beloved, but not all of it -- some fans had their knives out for Punk even prior to the Hangman callout. And the general tenor discussions I've seen suggests more vocal sympathy for Kenny and the Bucks. 

Of course Hangman got some scattered discontent from the crowd in the Bryan match from what I heard, so not all is well anywhere. But I assume Punk will have more of an uphill battle toward putting this behind him, if that's even what he wants to do. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

OH FUCK DON'T CALL HIM PHIL THAT'S LIKE SAYING CANDYMAN THREE TIMES

That "hey Phil!" story always skeeved me out.  Only in the ludicrous world of pro wrestling, with all its unwritten rules and easy-to-miss social mores, is calling someone by their actual name, instead of using their silly make believe character name, seen as this horrible transgression.

1 hour ago, Log said:

God, I hate myself for doing this kind of online psychiatrist bullshit, but here I go. Punk strikes me as more of a "I'll show these fuckers!"-motivated guy rather than straight-up ambitious. Agree?

Sounds fair to me. And the "fuckers" list continues to grow, based on whoever happens to disagree with him.

One thing buried in a recent mainstream article, that I'd never heard before and can't believe wasn't seized on by any clickbait sites, is that Punk hasn't talked to his brother in something like 20 years because he screwed him out of a few thousand dollars when they were young. And I thought I was a champion grudge-holder. Tells you pretty much all you need to know.

so, again, not sure about how reliable Voices of Wrestling are. I know they’ve gotten some things right, but also some things wrong. Like any other dirt sheet person.

But apparently they were told there’s a belief backstage that Punk is an actual employee of AEW, not just a wrestler/independent contractor.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Something I don't think we've discussed is the lack of CM Punk chants at AEW shows since this all went down. That's interesting to me. Did AEW crowds side with Bucks/Kenny? Did they side with the company? Do they just think they won't matter? I thought for sure there would've been one or two, especially that first week after everything.

Some of this is that they were in brand new AEW markets too. I think it would’ve been different in other places, even if it might’ve been anti-Punk instead. I think next week will be telling, but the card may be so stacked that it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 2

If Tony is ever able to get a tv deal for ROH then he should have CM Punk the face of ROH for the next 12 monthes at least to build the brand up and keep him away from The Elite etc.

Also we could finally get Punk Vs Samoa Joe again. 

Colt Cabana can move back to AEW and have him back with the Dark Order.

• Like 1

Lot of wishcasting here, not enough pragmatism. 

Punk being away for months is going to say more than most reports that are coming out now; with the latest regarding the Bucks rumors from SRS, it’s becoming more and more likely that Punk’s comments regarding The Elite and the dirtsheets are becoming more and more true. Meanwhile, hardly anything on Punk himself, but a lot more regarding Elite plans and the like: Omega positioning himself as “locker room leader” with what sounds like a hilariously ludicrous speech, Bucks inflating their worth with WWE rumors, etc. 

I made mention earlier about how the Bucks and Omega really used the sheets to their advantage over the years, mainly by flooding them with so much information the counter arguments were minuscule in comparison, and they’re trying to do the same here. Problem is their exposure is such that reading between the lines is becoming easier and easier. So if they DO jump elsewhere, and don’t have the usual safety nets that have actually buffered their standing over the years, they get branded as malcontents. So they’re using that playbook to make Punk, a noted curmudgeon, out to be that. 

Page is the metronome here and has also overplayed his hand; playing into Punk’s criticisms of him while also saying “The Elite think I’m good and that’s all I need.” Meanwhile, you put The Elite in a more controlled environment and their strengths deteriorate, which would happen to Page faster than he realizes  

The fascinating part of all of this is this mad rush to get to all the Hot Newz first, and people fumbling over sourcing this and that because you have to get SOMETHING out there to keep folks interested. It’s just the last 25 years sped up in a way that makes me shake my head; if there was EVER a time to actually try and get this right, now is the time, but the sheets can’t help themselves. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Speaking of news~! sites and their coverage, it’s telling that all the newer sources for wrestling news are just pumping out stories all day based on speculation, message board comments, unfounded rumors, or just thin air, while Meltzer is just like, “yeah, there’s nothing new.”  Nu journalism (just shitting out garbage content for clicks) vs a guy who actually wrote for actual papers.  

Also, the poster here who is “carney Meltzer” this and “ it’s all a work” that has been auspiciously silent. 

• Like 4

Voices of Wrestling aren't really some po-dunk little news site or anything, though. Super J-Cast is usually on top of New Japan news, and while I can't remember specifics right now, they've definitely broken news in the past.

Just now, Casey said:

Voices of Wrestling aren't really some po-dunk little news site or anything, though. Super J-Cast is usually on top of New Japan news, and while I can't remember specifics right now, they've definitely broken news in the past.

This was also presented not as "breaking something new" so much as "confirming/corroborating a rumor from a couple of weeks ago."

• Like 2

I heard the "Kenny told the locker room he'd fire/wouldn't hire 3/4 of them" line somewhere at least a week or so back, so that's not just something coming out right now. It didn't have any larger context back then either FWIW.

What's gonna be funny is when they suspend Punk but do so while he is injured so he doesn't miss any actual time, which in essence is just a fine.

• Like 1

Even if Punk’s comments about the Elite are valid, he’s an unprofessional narcissist who probably shouldn’t be taken back.  I dunno why anyone would put a live mic in his hands after this.

That said, I won’t be too surprised if he’s AEW champion next fall.

• Like 1