DVDVR Message Board

The AEW Brawl & Its Fallout

Hangman was trained by Jimmy Valiant, I doubt he has any issue with taking advice from vets. He's probably just cagey about who he takes advice from and is a naturally quiet person and standoffish

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

Did CM Punk get to where he is by listening to everybody and always doing what he was told? For years, his whole schtick was that he didn't have the traditional wrestler look or style. Triple H and Shawn Michaels were veterans that didn't like him and didn't want to work with him.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

I am not sure these ever got posted on this board (and even if they did, its probably worth reposting)

This apparently was the Hangman Page interview that Punk was pissy about (sorry I don't have a different source)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure these ever got posted on this board (and even if they did, its probably worth reposting)

This apparently was the Hangman Page interview that Punk was pissy about (sorry I don't have a different source)

THIS is part of what has CM Punk in a tizzy?! Hangman didn't even do anything. Seems like someone wanting a burr in their ass for no reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Mantle had good reason too, as that preening ass caused his knee to be wrecked. . . . Jim Cornette had an interesting take, in that wouldn't Elite being EVP open up the company to a potential lawsuit regarding their actions? Sure Punk was an ass, but if they don't go to confront him, no fight. Fire his ass the next day, if you want/need to, but going into the locker room was asking for trouble.  Everybody involved was fucking stupid and unprofessional, but as "EVPs" shouldnt they be held to a high standard? 

Cornette’s not wrong, but being evp’s doesn’t have a lot to do with it.  In civil court, anyway, a company is responsible for the actions and behavior of every employee and/or agent when the employee is on company time.  It doesn’t matter too much if the person throwing the punch is a vp or a wrestler under contract or a roadie.  It doesn’t even matter As much if the person is an employee or an independent contractor.  Legally, your job title doesn’t matter much in situations like these.  Nick Jackson would be well within his rights to sue both Christopher Guy and Guy’s employer, AEW, for any injuries suffered.  

For that matter, Nick should at least be looking into suing the company that owns and manages the arena.  The arena’s owners are responsible for ensuring the safety of patrons on their property.  It could potentially be argued that the arena provided inadequate security or that security’s response to the incident was insufficient.  A good attorney would probably at least look at the management co. as a potential defendant.   

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, elizium said:

Hangman was trained by Jimmy Valiant, I doubt he has any issue with taking advice from vets. He's probably just cagey about who he takes advice from and is a naturally quiet person and standoffish

No he wasn’t. He downplays that and says he just hung out there at the camp sometimes. Valiant, of course, loves to take credit.

Edited by Matt D

18 hours ago, Pedro said:

I mean imagine any other job in the world where shit like this happens.  The people involved are told they have a zoom meeting with the owner to discuss things. Who in the hell would have the thought of "lets go tell Dave Meltzer"   It's not Punk since his whole beef was how the journalists had their stories wrong. It's not Ace Steele.  Just so unprofessional on AEW's part.  Also to the guy who kept telling us we were being worked,  still think it's a work??

If this is referring to me, then yes, this is still a work. If Punk is injured again (questionable but is now being reported), then the purpose may be slightly different (for now). However I expect we will see Punk/MJF melded in some way as the pay off to the angle that would have started when MJF gave his departing speech (and Punk walked out to the ring). There is absolutely no way on god's green earth that Kenny Omega and Phil Brooks were involved in an actual brawl. AEW are very, very clearly trying to create 'realism' and blur the fiction/reality lines .. they have adopted the 'never-go-out-of-character' schtick that worked v well for MJF and rolled it out wholescale. Punk is the guy who convinced a lot of people the "pipe bomb" was real, and who literally 2 weeks earlier gave an interview talking about how important the internet-hype-machine is for AEW and how he focuses on ratings above all else. 

I expect we will see some pay off in New York (or at least the seeds for it start to be sewn) and yes, you can be absolutely fucking certain that I will be back here to crow about it afterwards. This is the beginning of their expansive "big arc" storyline to try and gain steam in growth again.

Edited by A_K

4 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

To be fair, some people still think the Cody/AEW issues from last January was a work so I imagine there will always be some flying that flag about Wrestle Brawl '22. I'd be pretty surprised if we see Punk in AEW again, either by his choice or not.

I think he’ll ge quietly released and, since he’s injured, we won.’t hear w out it for 6-12 months.

Meltzer said AEW May not be able to release him while he is injured, but I am not sure why that would be (contract stipulation?  Locker room issues?).  I doubt AEW has to keep him around as long as they pay for the medical care and whatever else they agreed to in writing.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

To be fair, some people still think the Cody/AEW issues from last January was a work so I imagine there will always be some flying that flag about Wrestle Brawl '22. I'd be pretty surprised if we see Punk in AEW again, either by his choice or not.

Can't speak for others, but I never for one second thought Cody/AEW was a work. I called out a long, long time before that Cody/AEW would end acrimoniously. I called out a long, long time before that AEW was a disposable platform for Rhodes. This is not remotely similar.

EDIT: A little quote on Cody from late 2020. Cody was never, ever a work - he was simply narcissistic and horribly detrimental to AEW for his final 12 months (to his credit he did well in WWE before the injury). This however is a work. Time will tell.

Feel like this has been said every-other-week at this point, but AEW being in part the Rhodes' family vanity show does hold it back. Khan is clearly a mark, but whoever is booking this (if it is indeed him) comes across as unfathomably under their thumb. Not content with basically setting fire to Brodie Lee's act (that they spent a year crammed with cringe to finally build to something threatening/respectable), he now moves to another central program where Darby (who just won the title) makes the save as some sort of secondary accomplice. My god, does it never end. With the recent note of political aspirations, it seems clearer than ever its just a platform to plump his own ego & mainstream centrality. B&B needed to go over here too. Lame.

Edited by A_K

Just now, madl said:

I think he’ll ge quietly released and, since he’s injured, we won.’t hear w out it for 6-12 months.

Meltzer said AEW May not be able to release him while he is injured, but I am not sure why that would be (contract stipulation?  Locker room issues?).  I doubt AEW has to keep him around as long as they pay for the medical care and whatever else they agreed to in writing.  

Firing someone because they get injured or sick in any line of work is going to lead to a major lawsuit and possibly even claims with federal workplace regulators. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TimLivingston said:

A buyout is coming. Believe that. 

Yeah, I wasn’t clear above. I don’t think Punk will be held in breach of contract and fired or anything like that.  I  think TK will either negotiate a buyout or simply pay him to stay home.  

Edited by madl

When is Rashomon 2: Brawl Out dropping on Bleacher Report app? 

The latest:

Lots more details, backstage reactions to Punk/Elite Brawl Out
We've learned more about AEW Dynamite, the CM Punk/Elite situation, and more.

It comes as no surprise based on the content that unfolded on AEW Dynamite, but there were no explicit mentions of the situation or the parties involved in the Brawl Out 2022 situation permitted. This went for commentary, in promos, on social media or elsewhere.

In the days that have followed the recalling of the stories, those that have been in touch with CM Punk and Ace Steel have softened on the stance that the Young Bucks definitely kicked down the door. Instead, they've followed up with the idea that they could have kicked, shouldered or otherwise forced their way in. They said that "kicking the door down" was clearly a turn of phrase in that sense and should have clarified. The reason given was that Punk didn't feel like talking to anyone as he was either getting medical attention or had just been given it to take care of his cut. The side has also varied on what they've said caused Ace Steel to begin biting and throwing chairs, going from his wife being near, to him believing Kenny Omega was attacking CM Punk when he was trying to pull Punk off of one of the Young Bucks.

We have to reiterate, the accounts of the fight are wildly different from each side, and even different versions of each side, and shouldn't be taken as gospel. These are just what have been relayed to people close to them.

So far, talent haven't been told explicitly what is to become of CM Punk, but most of them we spoke with are under the impression that it's all pending an investigation. We spoke with numerous people on the staff and roster, who said that unless Punk's suspension is unpaid or he's fired, it's superficial considering he'll be out of action well into next year. As of Wednesday, much of the heat we're hearing on Punk was just as much about his scrum rant than anything. Punk had long been rubbing the locker room the wrong way, but one source said that blaming him for all of the locker room issues of late simply was not fair, as they had reached an all-time high when Punk was gone.

When we spoke to the AEW roster Wednesday, many indicated that after the show there was a much more positive vibe, with one saying it couldn't have been worse than the chaos of the previous days. That same source said that the situation was "out of sight, out of mind" for plenty of the roster who just wanted to show up and work. Another talent said the best way for all parties to make up the public embarrassment would be to get over the issues, make money for the company and highlight other talent along the way.

We're told that as of Tuesday, much of the roster didn't know what they were going to be allowed to say or if they could address it, and some of their content had to be adjusted accordingly. On Sunday, Fightful had reported that a top talent was set to take some time off, which Jon Moxley confirmed to be him. AEW sources had indicated that they'd planned on him being back by the Cincinnati show in October at least, but he ended up staying to help conduct a talent meeting, add star power to the show, and participate in the title tournament.

Kenny Omega, Christopher Daniels and Michael Nakazawa were all slated to be in Japan for Tokyo Game Show in relation to the AEW Fight Forever game. We haven't heard of them being pulled from that as of yet.

We've also heard the same as reported by Wrestling Observer that AEW Chief Legal Officer Megha Parekh was around for the situation as it unfolded.

Parekh being a witness is key and a good thing. Hopefully the investigation doesn't last long and they can begin to move on. Best case scenario is the one talent's take. Get over it, make money, elevate youngsters. I still think it's unlikely we see Punk again though. Maybe 6-8 months will help if he's still employed. 

• Like 3

Scrum 17 minutes onwards (after Punk's self-initiated Cabana diatribe):

Journalist: "Why is MJF back in the fold now? How do you feel about him being around? How do you feel about the time he spent away?" 

Khan: "If I may, I'm the one who asked him to come back because MJF is a big star in this company and this is one of the biggest events. A year ago CM Punk debuted here and I thought it was right for the fans. For the fans, the best thing as a company we could do is bring MJF back."

Punk [mock-rage while spilling muffin everywhere]: "Because he wants me to work with pricks constantly. That's what it is."

Khan [aghast]: "Nevertheless CM Punk and MJF could be a big match down the line"

Punk in same character re-launches into Cabana stuff while almost in fits of laughter

I mean come on. These guys were having a fucking ball playing these parts up there. The MJF part is a work. The Punk part is a work. Khan and Punk were having an absolute ball doing it. The Mindys bakery product placement while Khan is laughing ? Oh you guys. The only out of character part of that scrum was where Punk spoke about his rehab and how he was torn up because he wanted to help the business over the summer with ratings and couldn't. 

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1