DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Sarcasm dude. Already look and feel amazing thanks. Edge, Christian, Jericho and Luther et al look great for their ages too regardless of their new diets ?.

lmao, I was just thinking last night that Jericho's most recent steroid cycle was particularly egregious.  

My wife decided that we're going to Chicago for Thanksgiving to see Dynamite, so who am I to argue?  I'm a little nervous about trying to wrangle her wheelchair at the show but it's worth it to see live wrestling for the first time in 20+ years.

• Like 15

44 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

AEW news

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1009908/new-report-suggests-wbd-could-pursue-more-wrestling-themed-shows/

Expected to get larger tv rights increase when renewal comes.

That's not what I heard. I heard Tony stretched himself too thin with ROH and that was going to lead to their downfall.

Or was it Cody leaving?

Hold up! No, it was signing Tony Nese. That's what did them in. They're probably going out of business any day now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I look forward to the day people can discuss AEW making moves they disapprove of without such discussion being received as predictions of the death of the company.

I'll probably be waiting a while. It's been years already. 

Apparently you want me to go through another goth girl phase. Well let me tell you, I did that in 2006, buster, and I'm not up to do it again.

(Because I went through another one in 2013 and phew that was difficult.)

What about a skater chick phase? Because when I was 14 all I wanted was a girlfriend who looked like Avril Lavigne, and now I'm 35... all I want is a girlfriend who looks like Avril Lavigne. She has aged well. 

*edit* OOF I've just googled what her fiance looks like and now I'm depressed.

Edited by Leonidas
big oof
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

NWA TNA/ TNA/ Impact wrestling has existed for 20 years. For how many of those years was the main talking point about the promotion "Will they stay in business?" or "How are they still in business?". 

• Like 2

Fight Forever looks sick as hell. It's not gonna have the bells and whistles of the 2K games (which kind of sucks as someone who is obsessed with the arena/title/CAW creation suites) but honestly, it's looking like a classic N64 meets SD!: HCTP meets Def Jam: FFNY experience so far, and that makes me extremely happy and hopeful. If the gameplay and story mode is good enough, Im hoping we won't even miss the other stuff. Though I continue to hold out hope that we'll get a GM mode/Universe Mode/some kind of fantasy booking mode as a DLC or in a future sequel if the game does well, cause that Elite GM mobile game just ain't it. (Side note: it's 2022 and not a soul has ported EWR to Android/iOS yet?) 

In other news, I just picked up tickets to the 11/16 Dynamite - so I've got Grand Slam next week, a Rampage taping next month, and now this one; I'm also in negotiations with my better half to work Full Gear into the budget. At this point, I'm gonna have my job just start direct depositing my check into TK's account. Could not be more fucking excited. I hope to see some of you around!

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Wait, I can play as our beloved Lard Lad in the AEW game???? I know what's at the top of my Christmas list!

Unfortunately, I very seriously doubt it. I think he was only at the exhibition because it was at the Tokyo games show, and he was already home over there. The roster is going to be super thin at launch, only around 50-55 guys. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the cut-off date for inclusion is going to be around the time of Keith Lee and Jeff Hardy coming in. It's already been reported FTR isn't in the base game, and will probably be part of an ROH themed DLC, and I think there were a few other really surprising omissions that I can't recall atm.

• Sad 1

While AEW is doing good and better metrics for certain parts of their business, their attendance has been going down in some markets. Next weeks show at Arthur Ashe tickets setup and the amount of tickets sold so far from Wrestle Tix:

Current Setup/Capacity 14,566

Tickets Distributed 11,936

Down from last year, was which was 20,177.

This article is very speculative, but if this ends up being true, it could have some significant implications for both major US promotions:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/warner-bros-discovery-has-bigger-problems-than-its-dc-search-1235221804/

Given the company’s daunting challenges, it has become accepted wisdom at the highest levels of the industry that another deal waits in the wings for Warner Bros. Discovery. For reasons related to the complicated structure of that merger, no negotiations can happen until April 2024. But at that point, many industry observers believe that Comcast’s Brian Roberts will make a long-awaited move, looking to combine NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery.

That deal would face some interesting antitrust issues but would give his company scale and a viable streaming service. “Obviously Peacock sucks,” says one exec with knowledge of both companies. “There are some good synergies. I’m sure [Roberts] is licking his chops because the [WBD] stock is so low. And I think that’s Zaslav’s endgame. Get the place sold.” (Roberts and NBCU CEO Jeff Shell met with Zaslav and board member John Malone during the Allen & Co. gathering in Sun Valley last July, but given the rules against plotting any combination, that was no doubt just a friendly get-together.) A WBD spokesperson responds: “We are building Warner Bros. Discovery for the long term.” 

Many top industry execs are so convinced a deal will happen that some are pre-mourning an event that may never happen. “People feel like it’s Comcast for sure,” says the head of one company. “It’s going to be so depressing to lose another major studio [after Disney bought Fox]. And Warners was the Tiffany studio.”

Of course an obituary is premature. Maybe Warners will do a deal with Comcast, maybe not. 

• Haha 2