DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/29 - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Running late!  Had to watch a wildly good main event on NWA Powerrr and then had to watch DARK which had a TOTALLY awesome Main Event of Rush beating the life out of Blake Christian.  And we're starting right in with Apollo Crews versus Grayson Waller.  Waller is budding Wrestling Machine.  Waller is so fucking smooth.  Crews has a nice lowgrade WWE offensive ARSENAL~!  MOVESET~!  Sweet DBS Delayed Vertical Suplex.  Apollo takes one to the eye and the match comes to a halt.  He shakes it off and we go to picture in picture.  Waller beats on him while we wait for the screen to BECOME BIG.  There is an EMBIGGENING and Apollo makes a babyface comeback!  Waller is fun selling BIG while taking Apollo's offense.  Apollo hits a Buff Blockbuster!  Apollo is Buff!  He's the stuff!  The ladies can't get enough!  Grayson Waller wins with his Elaborate Diamond Cutter.  That was good.  They show the MOMENT I knew that WCW was booked DIRECTLY to me.  When Mieko Satomura showed up on NITRO.  Ahhh, good times.... It's Katana Chance and Kayden Carter!  I think I at least remember their last names now- which is kind of sad considering they are my favorite ladies tag team on NXT.  Awesome!  It's Ivy Nile.  Will Tatum Paxley use her nose guard for good?  OR EVIL?  With Satomura hanging around NXT, do Ivy/Meiko again!  Chance and Carter are the women's version of the Motor City Machine Guns. Toxic Attraction distracts Ivy!  I don't understand why they didn't attack the champs.  Very confusing, HHH!  Hey!  It's Doudrop!  It's Nikki ASH!  Well, THAT'll be good.  Lash Legend and Pretty Deadly!  Fallon Henley and Bro Country!  Pretty Deadly are a prettier version of the Midnight Express.  Bro Country are fun goobers.  Lash Legend is a good BASE~!  as Fallon Henley is launched over the toprope into a pretty deadly gaggle of humanity.  Pretty Deadly are fucking awesome beating the fucking dogshit out of Briggs or Jenson.  SO MUCH CHEATING!  YESS! CHEATING! YES!  I notice that Pretty Deadly is wearing fabulous matching Purple outfits.  ODE TO PRINCE!  Okay, that was Briggs being beaten to death.  They repeat the finish from the prior match as the NXT UK guys attack everybody!  Pretty Deadly wins with a schoolboy after Briggs or Jenson gets hit with a boot?  Eh, I'll take it.  It's Charlie Dempsey.  I've never seen him before.  Andre Chase is wrestling!  They channel Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko and that's a good thing to do.  Sign Dempsey up with the Blackpool Combat Club!  I loved his Lord Regal Butterfly Suplex for two.  SUBMISSION THROUGH FEAR!  I loved the finish.  Wrong guy won, but that was great.  Hey!  It's Zoey Stark!  GUNTHER is inspiring.  Too bad Bron Breakker is going to CRUSH him.  Kiana James takes her assbeating and is fun going crazy when she can't get the THREE!  Stark's finisher is a actually a Modified GTS!  It's Gallus!  I couldn't remember their name when they were schmozzing the men and ladies six humans match.  It's the Creed Brothers!  Well, this should be good.  I see that Gallus is good.  This is like six Steve Williamses beating on each other.  It morphs into Diamond Mine turning into three Steiners and Gallus morphs into three Terry Gordys.  Hmmmm.  Will THIS be the best match on free TV this week?  So far, it's looking pretty good.  Wolfgang is the Brodie King of Gallus, it looks like.  Damon Kemp might become the best thing in Diamond Mine.  Roderick Strong distracts his own team again and Gallus gets the pin!  Everybody storms the ring!  That was a good episode.  

• Like 2

Aw.  No Noam Dar, but they've certainly filled out Worlds Collide with some real potential bangers.  

Sunday's going to be a fucking AWESOME day for pro wrestling. 

• Like 3

Waller/Crews was good though I'm kind of surprised Apollo ate the L with his original reintroduction hinting at a match with Bron.

KC Squared vs. Ivy/Tatum was fun while it lasted. I assume the finish was base don the idea that Toxic Attraction doesn't want anyone else challenging before they do again. I skipped the setup for the title defense against Doudrop and Nikki. Should be fun though I would be more excited for it if Doudrop and Nikki had any credibility at this point. Those poor women need some wins.

Briggs/Jensen/Fallon vs. PD/Lash was good fun. Lash has been improving lately and fits so well in with Pretty Deadly. All three were fun bases for Fallon. The finish was ok if a bit repetitive from what we saw last week. 

Stark/James was a decent showcase for Stark to give her back a little heat after the loss to Mandy. With Lyons saving Stark from an attack at the end I'm curious if they continue on with the team.

Diamond Mine vs. Gallus was good. Diamond Mine are s damn good as new age Steiners and Gallus matched their roughness perfectly. The finish was the only downside with Strong's appearance making things come to a halt. It made sense with the story going on, but I prefer things to flow from beginning to end. I assume Kemp will be revealed a traitor in the coming weeks with how it went.

The appearances of former NXT & UK champs to sell Worlds Collide was ok. Some like GUNTHER and Dunne worked better than others. It did work as a setup though for the finale with Ricochet popping up and making the challenge for the NA Title. That might have been one of Ricochet's better segments. The match with Hayes should be good.

11 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Aw.  No Noam Dar, but they've certainly filled out Worlds Collide with some real potential bangers.  

Sunday's going to be a fucking AWESOME day for pro wrestling. 

I'm ok with Dar not appearing if it means the Heritage Cup is sticking around. WWE should keep try to keep titles that represent a different style for the norm.

Forgot to mention that I really dug Dempsey/Chase.  Chase is usually decent fun, but it was neat seeing him keep up with Dempsey while not necessarily being on his level. That was also my first time checking out Dempsey and I want to see so much more of him. They were smart not to drop him, Regal's son or not. 

• Like 1

I liked the PS2 story mode style backstage scenes of "NXT champion runs in to former NXT champion" like your created wrestler coming across a hidden wrestler backstage.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:52 PM, Peck said:

WWE is on a 2-show streak of using the word "Fuck" in their broadcasts.

#Attitude!

Smackdown isn't live again.  It's the Viking Raiders!  It's viking rules match- WHICH MEANS THERE ARE NO RULES!  I would use a truck to run over the Viking Raiders.  Duel Tope Con Hijos!  So the Viking Raiders are Erik and Ivar?  They spill out into the crowd!  Xavier does a Plancha off a THING!  This is fun.  Ivar CRUSHING Xavier with a crossbody into the Railing was gnarly!  Erik's Urinagi looked wads hurtier than Kofi using a kendo stick.  Kofi uses a comically sized hammer!  And it's tables!  Kofi is CRUSHED as Erik throws Ivar onto him!  Or vice versa.  Great nearfall after Xavier gets CRUSHED by Ivar powerslamming him off the second rope.  New Days offense isn't nearly as impressive as the FAT based offense of the Viking Raiders.  Ivar CRUSHES both of New Day to break up a pin.  Ivar misses a giant Fat Boy Moonsault!  Kofi gets a nearfall on a very nice Toprope Elbowdrop.  Since they introduced the CONCEPT of tables earlier in the match, someone going through them will lose, or so it would appear.  AH! THE TABLES!  I don't remember anyone stacking then on top of each other,  but a lot is going on in this match.  Shields take out both New Day!  XAVIER GOES THROUGH THE TABLES!  And That's that!  That was fun!  The slow motion repeat of the table spot is impressive.  Hey!  It's Karrion Kross wrestling again!  I haven't seen him sing Ric Flair's last match thingy.  Hopefully, this will be better than that.  Scarlett is good in the ring,  She should wrestle.  It's Drew Gulak!  Nice Backdrop Driver by Kross.  Gulak taps out!  That was quick.  He is not having a great string of matches so far but it's early and hope springs eternal.  Man, I caught up in real time so I have to suffer through the Ronda Rousey and Adam Pierce dramatically doing Death Of A Salesman.  Ronda is Biff.  Adam Pearce is Willie Loman.  Man, I gave it like a 40 minute head start.  Jesus,  Adam Pearce is going for the Daytime Emmy!  Thank GOD Ronda cut him off with an armbar.  Oh man, that's right.  NWA came on on YouTube Tuesday.  THAT's what I usually watch Friday so I can fast forward through this stuff.  Oh well.  Live and learn.  It's Hit Row!  MMM make their in-ring debut!  Maximum Male Models are good-lookin' fellas!  I dig that that is Eli Drake's legit sister.  It's Los Lotharios!  The crowd doesn't seem to be into it.  That was quick.  That wasn't very good. MMM GET THEIR HEAT BACK!  Hey!  It's the Street Profits.  Street Profits versus Los Lotharios would be good.  Drew McIntyre talks a teenager into not smoking!  How is he going to be cool and get up with the laaadies?  Plus, according to my 17 year old, everybody in Chesterfield county from age 13 on VAPES.  It's Happy Corbin versus Shinsuke Nakamura!  This should pick things up.  The crowd wakes up and gets behind Nakamura and his kicking and whatnot.  Corbin hits a very nice Blue Thunder Bomb!  Corbin is a HEAT MACHINE!  Nakamura crushes him with a kick to the head.  That was quick.  Is this Smackdown Dark tonight?  Hey!  It's Butch!  I guess he wrestles Fuego Del Sol?  Butch is wearing non-comical gear!  HHH! HHH!  It's Ludwig Kaiser!  Well this should be good.  Butch starts with a motherfucking BREAKS SPECIAL~! MILLION BILLION STARS!  Butch reminds us where he is from what with the finger joint manipulation.  Kaiser does a nice Tiger Suplex Hold.  The announce team goes wild over a European Forearm but the massive editing takes away any impact and we go to a commercial!  Oh how I miss the sweet picture in picture.  It's strange.  Don't it seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone.... They DON't have five different camera angles for them beating each other with forearms and it looks like they are laying it in, instead of the camera angle disguising how shitty they would look.  Because they are laying it in and we can see how good they look.  HHH! HHH!  Nice Reverse Flapjack by Kaiser!  Or maybe that was a MODIFIED Flapjack.  He hits a much faster one!  FOR TWO!  More Joint Manipulation!  Butch's finisher either is TRULY NASTY or Ludwig took it all wrong and nearly fucking killed himself.  Either way!  YAAAY!  Good wrestling!  Then they set up the Drew McIntyre and Roman Reigns.  McIntyre hits a Tope Con Hilo and that looked great.  He beats up the Bloodline!  Well, that was two good matches.  Pretty underperforming episode compared to what they have been delivering recently, so I guess we were due for Less Than Great episode.  HHH! HHH! HHH!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 1:57 PM, DEAN said:

I didn't notice him poking him in the eye again. SHOOT BECOMES A WORK~

I think the first eye poke was a work to set up the finish.

Edited by madl

New Day vs. Viking Raiders was good-great. Both teams busted out some neat stuff and made good use of the plunder.

Kross/Gulak was kind of a nothing squash.

MMM vs. Hit Row was ok as a segment/match, but nothing amazing. I do think the MMM guys stand out surprisingly better with their current gimmicks.

Nakamura/Corbin was decent while it lasted. Curious to se where the backstage segment with JBL goes. He and Corbin should work well enough together with JBL presumably helping right Corbin's path. 

Butch/Kaiser was good, probably the best Kaiser has looked outside of the tag setting in all of his time in WWE. I do love that Dunne more or less wrestles as an even rougher version f himself in the Butch gimmick. It works perfectly.

The last segment with Drew taking out the Bloodline was a solid standing tall moment. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, madl said:

I think the first eye poke was a work to set up the finish.

In my world, he actually accidentally poked him in the eye and THEN used it during the finish!  KAYFABE, DADDY!

• Like 1