DVDVR Message Board

Segunda Caida

EricR

Bumping this as we're still somehow keeping up our 2014 streak of one post per day. 112 Days in! Most of them have been good! That is an unparalleled run of SC success. We got tons of lucha write-ups, 2000s Japan reviews, our MOTY list is now at 22 matches (soon to be 24), and we got a new team member: Matt D! He seems like a good egg. So far. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-moty-master-list.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=94470&cmd=tc

Phil and I did a podcast today. We have no idea what we're doing. But we both amused each other for 75 minutes. The world needed more internet audio content, so Phil and I decided to bless them with it. Episode 15.

Episode 14 is a much shorter podcast I did today (18 seconds long) of me wondering if Phil called into the right number or not. Spoiler alert, we each fucked up in a different way. 

• 6 months later...

Back by popular demand (several years ago that has probably since evaporated), my weekly All-Request Friday Nights return to Segunda Caida starting this Friday, January the 9th. That's where you - the reader - request matches for me to watch and review, and I review five of them every week, sometimes to my delight, sometimes to my regret, but hopefully always to your entertainment and enlightenment. So get your picks in now, and let's see where this Friday will take us.

Segunda Caida, the stuff internet wrestling dreams are made of

Back by popular demand (several years ago that has probably since evaporated), my weekly All-Request Friday Nights return to Segunda Caida starting this Friday, January the 9th. That's where you - the reader - request matches for me to watch and review, and I review five of them every week, sometimes to my delight, sometimes to my regret, but hopefully always to your entertainment and enlightenment. So get your picks in now, and let's see where this Friday will take us.

Segunda Caida, the stuff internet wrestling dreams are made of

If we're cool to post requests here, this rad Joseph Connors/Dave Mastiff match from the 2014 matches thread would be my pick.

http://youtu.be/SvisxEqK-RA

• Like 1

It's shilling for a friend of mine, but it's still a nice little match: Satoshi Kojima vs. Jeremiah Plunkett (w/Tracy Smothers), for the NWA World Title at SAW in Millersville, TN 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_yKMsA81w

...oof, sorry about the video quality.  There's a Dailymotion version if that works better for you.  

EDIT: found a better Youtube copy, the match is around the twenty-four minute mark.  

Wow. I actually hadn't even thought that we actually came through on that promise. It's just been…our life at this point. I see no reason to quit this now. I should also note that Phil started talking stupid numerous times about posting 2-3 things a day. Which is stupid. But there were still plenty of days where we posted two things. I am not going to count, but I bet we threw up over 400 things this year. Stupid. 

At the start of 2014 I would have optimistically guessed we could make it through February.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dc6h-zIXmw

Alexander Otsuka (BattlARTS) vs. Takeshi Sugiura (NOAH) -- Zero-1, 4/18/01

To keep it easy on SLL for the restart. Short, uncooperative, violent, on a Phil comp, and having never gotten a full writeup that I've seen. I was looking for something more New Japan-centric because everyone is hyped about WK9 but my pick wasn't online anywhere.

Shit, you knew we weren't gonna read it until tomorrow anyway. Unless you're me, who took a nap and woke up to drink some more. 

Thanx for the review, glad you dug it. I have to ask, what exactly did Jerry Estrada do? I've never heard that story. Also, funny enough, one of my picks prior to final decision was Funks vs. Snuka/Brody from the Real World Tag League '81. Could have went two-for-two there, one who killed and one who was killed...

Shit, you knew we weren't gonna read it until tomorrow anyway. Unless you're me, who took a nap and woke up to drink some more. 

Thanx for the review, glad you dug it. I have to ask, what exactly did Jerry Estrada do? I've never heard that story. Also, funny enough, one of my picks prior to final decision was Funks vs. Snuka/Brody from the Real World Tag League '81. Could have went two-for-two there, one who killed and one who was killed...

I know, but I like to at least aim for making the name accurate. It's a small goal that I try not to get too hung up on, and my readers don't get too hung up on it either for that very reason.

As for Estrada, he once got really coked up...excuse me, this is Estrada we're talking about...he once remained really coked up and threw a hooker off of a hotel balcony.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, this took a bit longer than I had hoped, to say the least, but SLL's All-Request Friday Night will return for real next Friday. I had to undergo a bit of a wrestling writer vision quest to get my head right on this, and it's undergone a bit of a format change as a result. Most obviously, instead of reviewing five matches every week, it'll be a non-fixed number of matches. But yeah, there's still gonna be plenty of fun times with me talking about the pro graps YOU want me to talk about, so start sending in those requests today!

Segunda Caida: Every Day We Write The Book

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOL this was amazing.

I personally have no idea how he makes it back over the border. If I was a border agent and I saw him walking through my line I would get employee of the month certificates flashing in my eyes. Is there a bigger win for a border agent than to flag Cage? That's like a TSA agent seeing a middle eastern man, overdressed for the weather, carrying a damp sack. It's such an easy lay-up that you probably wouldn't even have to fill out paperwork afterwards.

• 4 months later...

So I'm trying to raise some money for a friend and coworker who lost her house and all her worldly possessions in the terrible recent Middletown fire. We've already gotten a couple generous donations but really I'm looking for anything here. If you donate you can request anything at all for me to write about (it's all explained in the link) and I could probably coax Phil into it as well, if you hate my writing style/opinions/face. I'm matching contributions 100%, and really, if you donate a dollar, you get a request. If you donate $50, you get a request. Shoot I'll probably try and think of other nice things to give contributors. I don't know, I'm bad at this and never tried to raise money for anything. It's tough without bikini carwash girls.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/09/segunda-caida-fundraiser.html