DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/26/2022

The Natural

Jobbing out House Of Black to Dark Order, via Miro turning up and just battering 2/3 of them, while his music played, without a DQ, is maybe the worst thing AEW have ever done? Not that the rest of the show was much to write home about, but that WWE level bullshit took me right out of it.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 2

I don't disagree 100%, agent needs a talking to about the music but I will say:

1) AEW commentary has always been pretty clear that referees have pretty blanket discretion when it comes to DQs.

2) It happened outside the ring, indeed the ring area - iirc that is a distinction that has been made by AEW commentators. I know this is open to the Ventura objection ('oh so I can just shoot a guy once he's outside the ring area'), but that only makes the point that the idea that the referee is supposed to have jurisdiction over what happens outside the ring is a modern innovation - and essentially a WWE innovation that AEW is not obliged to follow.

• Like 1

Feel like Dark Order/Elite final was the likeliest outcome based on the Bucks/Hangmin interactions. They did a good job of planting some doubt with Page saying he's just supporting though. They're also doing a good job of playing up Omega's health questions. Bucks will have to carry him past the next round probably taking out one of the Aussie Open guys after Ospreay outduels not 100% Kenny.

Black, Andrade, and Pac feel like they've been in their own little universe forever and now Miro joined the club after his TNT title run. It'd be cool if those four were featured more prominently. Black with his back issues I get it... Pac is still based out of Newcastle, right? The Atlantic title deal is a nice touch for that. But are there any travel issues still? Andrade's booking is, as previously stated, beyond me, and Miro has done jack shit since dropping the title. Let's get them big boys going! All four of them should be constantly in a title hunt of one kind or another. 

I haven't been watching whole episodes of Rampage and the reactions to this episode certainly aren't enticing me to even flip through it. Yikes. While I love Dustin, I haven't been a big fan of his recent outings the past 6 months or so. Hopefully this turn or whatever it is they're planning with him helps give him some juice for perhaps a final run. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

Finish was odd and it's all about if it's going somewhere or not.

I mean, do the Dustin story bits ever go anywhere? That's not a knock on Dustin (love the guy) but I recall earlier this year him catching Archer with a surprise roll-up for the win and Archer snapping and destroying him afterwards; I believe it was never mentioned or acknowledged with regards to either of them afterwards.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tbarrie said:

How does Miro push his faith onto others? I don't recall him inciting anyone else to murder God.

He wants to "Redeem the Pagans". Its classic "convert, believe what I believe and want you to believe as well or I'll hurt you" , Religion down the barrel of a gun

11 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Do you think there will be a continuance to the Dustin story?

I was sure that Arn and Brock were gonna start putting the boots to Dustin. Arn had that 1994 look in his eyes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Jobbing out House Of Black to Dark Order, via Miro turning up and just battering 2/3 of them, while his music played, without a DQ, is maybe the worst thing AEW have ever done? Not that the rest of the show was much to write home about, but that WWE level bullshit took me right out of it.

I wasn't wild about it either but let's be honest, 2 months from now hardly anyone is even gonna remember or care about HOB getting distracted and Black losing via rollup.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

It's up there. House of Black should have won but to lose that way, ugh.

Are we that sure that The Elite go over here?

It seems like a terrible booking move. We've made it very clear that Kenny is back too soon and isn't at 100%. Kenny vs Ospreay is a money match, which becomes a nothing match if a shell of his former self Kenny goes over Ospreay. Ospreay beating the still injured Omega, and crowing about it as if it was at his prime, and then not coming back to AEW for months after adds to the build to that one in a big way. Even more so if Callis turns on Omega and sides with Ospreay, or you have Undisputed Elite come out and cost them the match. 

I mean for that very reason, I'm sure it'll be one of the Bucks getting the pin on Aussie Open, which feels very underwhelming in the scheme of things. 

Aussie Open/Ospreay vs Dark Order/Hangman finals with the Bucks or Omega helping Hangman get the win creates far more stories and intrigue. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

It seems like a terrible booking move. We've made it very clear that Kenny is back too soon and isn't at 100%. Kenny vs Ospreay is a money match, which becomes a nothing match if a shell of his former self Kenny goes over Ospreay. Ospreay beating the still injured Omega, and crowing about it as if it was at his prime, and then not coming back to AEW for months after adds to the build to that one in a big way. Even more so if Callis turns on Omega and sides with Ospreay, or you have Undisputed Elite come out and cost them the match. 

I mean for that very reason, I'm sure it'll be one of the Bucks getting the pin on Aussie Open, which feels very underwhelming in the scheme of things. 

Aussie Open/Ospreay vs Dark Order/Hangman finals with the Bucks or Omega helping Hangman get the win creates far more stories and intrigue. 

The issue is that they want Young Bucks/Omega to have a big match on the PPV to help sell it, Aussie Open isn't as well known or popular in the US (which is an understatement). Dark Order/Aussie Open would fall flat to many as a PPV-quality match, especially if they want the Trios titles to begin with a bang. I'd bet anything that Omega isn't pinning Ospreay, more likely Omega pins one of his buddies to just set up the future match. No one will see The Elite beating Aussie Open as Omega beating Ospreay so it won't really impact their future singles match either way.

If the Finals wasn't at the PPV they would have more flexibility but with the schedule I can't imagine them keeping The Elite out of the title match.

• Like 3

I wasn't really feeling Rampage after not enjoying Dynamite much at all this week but had to watch Dustin/Claudio. How can I put this... Dustin is so good at fucking up in matches that I'm really not sure if he does it on purpose or not. When he hit his head on the bottom rope early on I didn't know if it was a mistake and either that's really high level work because he totally fooled me or I am a dummy for not seeing that as a total botch. Maybe he is just legit getting old. It's strange to watch in real time after coming into guys that are beat down and still cagey like Tenryu or Fujiwara in their old age without growing up watching them.

Caprice Coleman is the best commentator in pro wrestling right now without question. That guy deserves a position forever. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I addressed the above in how you book the Elite to win while keeping money in Ospreay vs. Omega. Bucks have to carry Omega after Ospreay kicks his ass and they take out Aussie Open. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wasn't really feeling Rampage after not enjoying Dynamite much at all this week but had to watch Dustin/Claudio. How can I put this... Dustin is so good at fucking up in matches that I'm really not sure if he does it on purpose or not. When he hit his head on the bottom rope early on I didn't know if it was a mistake and either that's really high level work because he totally fooled me or I am a dummy for not seeing that as a total botch. Maybe he is just legit getting old. It's strange to watch in real time after coming into guys that are beat down and still cagey like Tenryu or Fujiwara in their old age without growing up watching them.

Caprice Coleman is the best commentator in pro wrestling right now without question. That guy deserves a position forever. 

I kinda feel that Dustin is so good that he turns anyting into part of the match. Bumps his head on the bottom rope? Immediatly sell it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zendragon said:

He wants to "Redeem the Pagans". Its classic "convert, believe what I believe and want you to believe as well or I'll hurt you" , Religion down the barrel of a gun

Well, historically yes. But I believe Miro is using "redeem" in the less-used sense of "beat the crap out of".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2