DVDVR Message Board

GOT - House of the Dragon

J.T.

The more I think about this, the more I think that the big mystery should be that we learn how the Doom of Valyria happened, and maybe some big plot element is preventing it reoccurring in Westeros proper or something. I just feel like they have to give us some big mythos thing that still matters later on. It's a lore based property. I'd probably be satisfied by that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The more I think about this, the more I think that the big mystery should be that we learn how the Doom of Valyria happened, and maybe some big plot element is preventing it reoccurring in Westeros proper or something. I just feel like they have to give us some big mythos thing that still matters later on. It's a lore based property. I'd probably be satisfied by that.

I don't think this will happen.  This particular story is pretty self-contained that doesn't really require much extra lore.  If nothing else, I do think they are setting up other prequel series.  The fall of Valyria is something that hasn't really been addressed in the books yet.  I honestly don't think this is where it will be revealed.  I could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised.

Still enjoyed it, but definitely my least favourite of the three episodes.

I'm not super keen on the one man basically wrecking through an entire army (especially one that you had been fighting to a stalemate for 2 years).

Those archers needed to take some advice from Wayne Gretzky; aim where the man is going, not where he is.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Still enjoyed it, but definitely my least favourite of the three episodes.

I'm not super keen on the one man basically wrecking through an entire army (especially one that you had been fighting to a stalemate for 2 years).

Those archers needed to take some advice from Wayne Gretzky; aim where the man is going, not where he is.

I agree that this was the weakest of the three episodes.  It was basically 3 different character studies, and I feel like I already knew who these people were.  Viserys is a king who is smart enough to see through all the bullshit, but too dumb to use it to his advantage.  Rhaenyra sees that her dad isn't exactly the most solid leader, and she knows if she doesn't constantly let him know that she's waiting for him to betray her, he might just betray her.  Daemon is a petulant child who would rather die trying to fight an entire army than give his brother the satisfaction of saving his life  I feel like we knew all of that going into the episode, but it was fun to watch.  

I thought the same thing about the archers, until I watched a video where someone explained that if this was before the English Yew bow, arrows were more about overwhelming a force with a volume of projectiles and not marksmanship.  So, the odds are those dudes weren't equipped to hit a single moving target.  

• Thanks 1

From now on,  I feel like the default nomenclature for a creepy uncle has to be Uncle Daemon.  I feel like Viserys not noticing how Daemon and Rhaenyra look at each other has to be his biggest blind spot when his entire reign is a collection of pretty huge blind spots. 

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’m still surprised that the Princess and Alicent were not lesbians. Maybe that’s coming in the future. 

i had thought Otto was a babyface in the show. Guess I was wrong.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that the dude who pimped out his daughter in his dead wife's dress was a babyface? With that said, I think his solution of marrying Rhaenyra and Aegon is the exact right choice given the situation. Rhaenyra doesn't even want to be married,  she'll be able to rule while Aegon comes of age,  and you can claim they rule together. 

I didn’t notice the dress thing (or remember anyone talking about it). Maybe I just don’t pay attention to these kind of shows as much as used to, even with early GOT. I thought he was a straight shooter, certainly when played off of Daemon and the Sea Snake. I should have realized no one on this show is really that virtuous. ?

(Normally, I’m all for the Iago characters, so mildly ashamed for not picking up on it.)

Edited by odessasteps

55 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I didn’t notice the dress thing (or remember anyone talking about it). Maybe I just don’t pay attention to these kind of shows as much as used to, even with early GOT. I thought he was a straight shooter, certainly when played off of Daemon and the Sea Snake. I should have realized no one on this show is really that virtuous. ?

(Normally, I’m all for the Iago characters, so mildly ashamed for not picking up on it.)

I feel like Daemon is the only one who just plain shouldn't be trusted under any circumstances. He's CM Punk,  even when everything is at its absolute best,  he's probably going to do some shit to fuck it up for everybody else. 

I feel like The Sea Snake is in a position where he knows exactly how important his family is to the crown and isn't going to tolerate being treated with anything less than 100% of the respect he deserves. He is the admiral of the royal navy and the king was letting his ships get picked off by The Crab Feeder without any repercussions. His anger is mostly justified. 

Otto isn't evil. He's an ambitious second son of a very ambitious family. His scheming is for his good, his family's good, and the good of the realm in that order. He couldn't have known that this was going to be his downfall,  but none of the royals outside of the king and queen have any reason to like him. 

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

He couldn't have known that this was going to be his downfall,  but none of the royals outside of the king and queen have any reason to like him. 

I would say based on his expression beforehand that he was torn/hesitant when it came to playing the "king, your daughter and brother were seen banging in a brothel" card, that he was cognizant of the fact that the repercussions of telling the king were potentially beyond even his ability to foresee/steer. 

10 hours ago, username said:

I would say based on his expression beforehand that he was torn/hesitant when it came to playing the "king, your daughter and brother were seen banging in a brothel" card, that he was cognizant of the fact that the repercussions of telling the king were potentially beyond even his ability to foresee/steer. 

I'll have to rewatch it,  but either way he had to tell the king, right? He's in a terrible spot,  because it was so public that it would get back to the king one way or another. He can do his job, and face the consequences of being the bearer of bad news,  or he cannot do his job and be blamed for not being on top of shit. I feel like telling the king is the absolute only option if he wants to stay hand... even though it was 50-50. 

I assume the brothel is sort of Daemon's "safe space" where he can let his hair down and not have to worry about those there telling folks the specifics of what happens. Of course this is now the second time one someones spies caught him doing/saying something there he shouldn't have (although how this episode played out makes me wonder if the "heir for a day" line happened as described) so he really should know better by now, but if the Hand said nothing I'm not sure it does get back to the king.

One of my favorite storytelling devices is when one character has been *just* shady enough for another character to assume the worst about them.

We can reasonably assume from what we saw on screen that Otto 100% put his daughter in Viserys’s way, in hopes that she would become queen. That’s obvious, even to Viserys (though he doesn’t seem to have had a problem with it). But that knowledge makes it easier for him to jump to the conclusion that Otto has also been scheming to have Rhaenerys removed from her spot in the line of succession, which I don’t think we’ve seen any evidence to suggest, as of yet.

Otto seems to have been Viserys’s only real, close friend in King’s Landing. I imagine things are about to get really bad for him.

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about this, but saw somewhere that Daemon's whole plan might've been to get Viserys to marry off Rhaenerys to the Sea Snake's son all along.

He "lures" her out to the city, shows her a good time, gets her comfortable. When they enter the brothel, he removes her hat so it's obvious to everyone who she is (not that her disguise was that great, the gold cloak that caught her in the alley recognized her right away even with the hat). He then does just enough with her so that some people see what's going on and he bolts. When the king finds out, he offers to marry her himself knowing Vis won't go for that. But, he also knows how things work and that Vis is going to freak out and feel like she needs to marry quickly. Sea Snake's boy is the best option.

Not saying this is 100% what's happening, but it make sense.