DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK ZERO

Dolfan in NYC

Holy crap.  Actual legitimate games start this week.  The Top 25 start next week, but we are actually starting with:

This is some next level Notre Dame/B1G recruitment here.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Holy crap.  Actual legitimate games start this week.  The Top 25 start next week, but we are actually starting with:

This is some next level Notre Dame/B1G recruitment here.  

And then there's this.

Given Clemson hasn't lost to them since, yeesh, 2013, I think "Cuck Norris" suits them a little more.  Fits their fucking fanbase, too, for that matter.

Really, though, I'd come up with an extra mascot and call the pair of them, 'Cluck Around' and 'Find Out'.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Holy crap.  Actual legitimate games start this week.  

I’m not sure how legitimate I would call a game where FAMU is playing with like 12 guys

I think it’s been like 5 years since I’ve written up full and proper P5 conference previews here, but I’m actually trying to do it again this year, even if nobody cares about it but me. Working through that process helps me clarify my thoughts on the season, and dumping them on you all here is better than just clicking delete, I guess. YOUR FREE RIDE IS OVER, CFB THREAD.

I’d hoped to have them up before the week zero games, but that didn’t happen. So I’ll just throw out the disclaimer now that there is not a single result that today that would change my opinion of any of the P5 teams playing. Not even UNC losing to what I can only assume will be a Potemkin village FAMU team.

The only P5 game really worth talking about this week is Nebraska/Northwestern. 

At first glance, Nebraska by double digits sounds right. The Huskers look like a solid 7-win team *on paper* and NW’s roster looks pretty dire. But then you consider the uniqueness of the circumstances of this game and the coaches involved. And I have a lot more faith in Pat Fitzgerald’s ability to get his team ready to play across the sea than Scott Frost. Seems like the kind of situation Fitz would have a plan for, while Frost is still counting how many times his guys are puking.

I still think NEB wins, but if I was a gambler, I’d pound the under, as they say.

• Like 1

I’m always the first to say not to jump to conclusions after week 1 (or 0, in this case). And especially not in unique situations like playing on the other side of the world. BUT…

I think we have enough evidence at this point to say that this is who Scott Frost is, and it’s never going to change.

Which just begs the question of what the hell was going on at UCF in 2017.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

I’m always the first to say not to jump to conclusions after week 1 (or 0, in this case). And especially not in unique situations like playing on the other side of the world. BUT…

I think we have enough evidence at this point to say that this is who Scott Frost is, and it’s never going to change.

Which just begs the question of what the hell was going on at UCF in 2017.

He somehow has only one winning season, and it was an undefeated season and officially a split national championship. It's madness

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

He somehow has only one winning season, and it was an undefeated season and officially a split national championship. It's madness

There’s nothing official about the National Championship UCF claims, they were 6th AP poll and 7th in the Coaches poll. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

There’s nothing official about the National Championship UCF claims, they were 6th AP poll and 7th in the Coaches poll. 

The Colley Matrix had them #1, and is  recognized by the NCAA as an official selector.  So, insane as it might seem, UCF is in the NCAA racord books as co-national champions with Alabama.

Even better, that's probably not even the craziest national title Colley has given. They give the 1997 title to Tennessee!! 2012 to Notre Dame!

But I think UCF is the only school that actually claims a title they only got from Colley.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Yeah, as Fowler points out, this is incorrect. UCF's claim is absolutely official according to the NCAA. 

Jim Harbaugh announced that Cade McNamara will start the first game against Colorado State and then JJ McCarthy will start the second game against Hawaii.

He will then decide who the actual starter is after those two games

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

In other starting QB news

Texas A&M is going with Haynes King

Ugh.  This does not fill me with confidence.  Small sample size of course, but he did not look good last year.  He looked lost on the field half the time. And had a bad case of happy feet

• Like 1

Hawaii has a mid-level FCS roster right now. That might be generous. They were decimated by the Todd Graham debacle and building back up has never been harder for programs at Hawaii’s level. And that’s before you factor in the Pacific Ocean and they don’t even have an actual stadium right now.