DVDVR Message Board

All Out IV - 9/4/2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think this is why I loved the finish to that match. Everything was such a poorly worked train wreck, so it was fun seeing a group of guys come out, fuck everyone up, and Stokely grab the chip because at that point, why not. Dante Martin did the same spot about 3 times over. Andrade and Rush are just so stupid. I don’t want to be like JR, but my god, Rush comes out and takes his sweet ass time taking off his gear while he’s about to lose the match. I would say someone needs to talk to Rush, but I could see that going over poorly.

And speaking of JR, I’ve defended him in the past, but he has zero rapport with Excalibur and Taz. That booth when it was Ex, Taz, and Tony was so unbelievably good and then it took a step back when JR got there. At one point in the women’s titles match he goes, it’s like they’re fighting over a sale at a department store. Like, why?!?! Because WOMEN ALWAYS BE SHOPPING?!?! JR sucks.

And even then I thought JR was the least ornery he's sounded since the first show coming back after his cancer treatment. 

While the masks and mass run in felt very TNA it was a fine call because they didn't interrupt anything worthwhile and I generally like ladder matches. 

Sheesh. Fans at the show talked about how Malakai was really emotional after the match. And now observer said he took a bow. Khan gave a no comment when asked about his status. That does not sound good. 

Meltzer in very Meltzerian fashion said he's gone. Damn that fucking sucks. Nothing confirmed or official but taking the L, blowing a kiss and bowing to the fans, and Khan not confirming his status? Yeah, that sounds like he's gone. If it's purely a push thing with him, why not work with him on it and meet him halfway? Hopefully there's more to it than just that because it'd be ridiculous to let somebody that talented just walk. Better yet, he takes a break. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Sad 2

37 minutes ago, Coach said:

That Punk scrum was one I’M PHIL FUCKING BROOKS line away from being the carniest shit this decade. 

Again, if this was WWE it would have been shit on as how not to cut a promo. But since it’s AEW it’s a genius gateway to more matches and blurring the lines? 

Fuck outta here. 

“But it’s working” no it’s not it’s literally just annoying as shit and makes me hope Punk quits. 

So the guy whose username is "Coach", wants us to believe this is all real? Hmmmm.... suspicious.

?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

12 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sheesh. Fans at the show talked about how Malakai was really emotional after the match. And now observer said he took a bow. Khan gave a no comment when asked about his status. That does not sound good. 

Meltzer in very Meltzerian fashion said he's gone. Damn that fucking sucks. Nothing confirmed or official but taking the L, blowing a kiss and bowing to the fans, and Khan not confirming his status? Yeah, that sounds like he's gone. If it's purely a push thing with him, why not work with him on it and meet him halfway? Hopefully there's more to it than just that because it'd be ridiculous to let somebody that talented just walk. Better yet, he takes a break. 

Maybe working away from his wife turned out to be too much for him to handle?

JESUS CHRIST!  That Tag Title Match would be like 8 stars.  Shane Strickland is so fucking great as Tully Blanchard.  Anthony Bowen was fucking AWESOME selling like Ricky Morton.  Keith Lee was great as Barry Windham.  Man, that was fucking old school Southern tag wrestling in the most classic sense- and it was five Black dudes in the ring.  Strickland had to be the one milking the crowd for ultimate reaction because I don't know if Bowen or Caster are experienced enough to pull that off.  That was an INSANE amount of heat.  Evil Lee/Strickland is going to be a joy forever and makes a match against FTR (before eventually putting the Acclaimed over) seem that much better. That was motherfucking GREAT.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Octopus said:

TK is playing EWR on the highest difficulty.

He's getting to the point where there are 6 or 7 guys with creative control because they keep getting married to all these General Manager's daughters that no-one knew existed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

If I can toss another stone at Ross it would be him mewling "listen" like Caster in pissy faux imitation, making a voice with it. What a dick. Like New Jack once said, "come out, act stupid, and get paid" -- but please keep the middle one to your better tendencies. 

EDIT: @Belgian_Waffle reminded me what Caster says

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Meltzer in very Meltzerian fashion said he's gone. Damn that fucking sucks. Nothing confirmed or official but taking the L, blowing a kiss and bowing to the fans, and Khan not confirming his status? Yeah, that sounds like he's gone. If it's purely a push thing with him, why not work with him on it and meet him halfway? Hopefully there's more to it than just that because it'd be ridiculous to let somebody that talented just walk. 

I think I could get behind Buddy and King as a tag team minus the spooky gimmick.  I liked Tommy End a good deal when I followed wXw closely (mid-2000’s through 2011 or so) and was a big fan of the Sumerian Death Squad, but his style and charisma hasn’t translated to US wrestling, imo.  And the spooky gimmick doesn’t help.

I don’t believe the media scrum was a work, but if it was legit, PunK should be out of the company by day’s end.  Probably won’t happen though since Tony’ depending on him to draw an audience during the tv negotiations

It’s going to be interesting to see how Khan handles the locker room from this point forward.

Edited by madl
  • Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Re: the media scrum, why is Colt Cabana having a shared bank account with his mother a bad thing? Maybe Colt's mother is disabled. It's not uncommon. That whole thing was none of our business and was something especially prickish that I think a lot of people might miss.

1 minute ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

Re: the media scrum, why is Colt Cabana having a shared bank account with his mother a bad thing? Maybe Colt's mother is disabled. It's not uncommon. That whole thing was none of our business and was something especially prickish that I think a lot of people might miss.

That stood out to me. Not cool.

As someone who is broke and lives with their elderly parents I considered it especially low. Then again you might feel that way after underwriting a lot of shit for the guy, but still, not cool, and definitely not the way to GET PEOPLE TO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. 

As an employee, if this is shoot, he should be forced to make a public apology for being unprofessional or if not stripped and forced to sit it out. If it's a work then it fucking sucks. There, I'm done. 

I'm with madl, if they just got rid of the spoopy doopies and let Tommy End be a killer pro wrestler who is a title threat that'd be fine. They killed off his unkillable persona, good. But it's too little too late apparently. Brody and Buddy will do just fine. 

The matches I felt worst for were the women's matches. I love Athena's look and execution but execution from both ladies was wobbly (like, Athena shouldn't be flailing her arms reaching for balance while running the ropes, FFS) and the match just seemed like a series of spots and not well done ones at that. Four ways are like three ways and suck, Chicago wanted Hayter, Shida still blows, I'm happy for Toni (and she will stiff you even on a friggin tope) but it just didn't work well. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Punk has such bad luck, just constantly meeting assholes all day long, it seems.

He said a lot of things that I could see would piss most fans off. The one thing he did that nobody touched on is his refusal to share muffins with Tony Khan.  Tony was sitting there eying them, hell, Punk even named the bakery and when they are open. He could've shared. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He said a lot of things that I could see would piss most fans off. The one thing he did that nobody touched on is his refusal to share muffins with Tony Khan.  Tony was sitting there eying them, hell, Punk even named the bakery and when they are open. He could've shared. 

He named the Bakery and when it was open so Tony could contact them to be part of catering going forward

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

If this stuff is a work, does it make anyone want to watch Wednesday? It’s more annoying than anything else.

The MJF is a total work, no one has an answering machine like that in 2022, no millennial listens to voicemails, and no one Tony Khan’s age would leave one saying anything more than “call me back”.

as for the rest, it sucks and has always been my least favorite part of wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Very interesting works. Helps set up heat and future angles.

Also JR is a meta heel commentator, work or not. 

JR is the one part of it all that isn’t a work. He just hates life ?

I watched more matches:

• Ladder match. This had a lot of interactions I was really interested to see like Claudio and Dante or Rush and Yuta, etc., but nothing really got time to mean anything. Yes, Rush was all over the place but you sort of know what you get with him. He's one of those wrestlers that's like raw energy and it's about the booker and the other wrestler to channel it and this is a  very dumb setting for that. Finish stood out. Great moment when Stoke pulled the mask of. I loved the music drop but they seemed to play the audio so we couldn't hear the fans at all. I'm going to have to find a fancam on that as I'm curious how they reacted. I'm going to go back to not watching ladder matches for a few more years.
  • Athena vs Jade ALMOST almost felt like the modern (2017-21 at least) WWE superheavyweight main event style that's all bombs and a sprint. It wasn't quite there but it was closer to that than anything else with the early O-Face and a bunch of bombs and overall sort of reckless sloppiness. Kind of weird that Grey was still there and none of that built to anything when she sort of failed her test previously, but she did absolutely eat the death rail dropkick by Athena. That might be the single best move in AEW right now.
  • FTR/Wardlow vs MCMG/Lethal was good. Triple heat. I thought Lethal and Wardlow jockeying for position at first was solid. Sabin and Dax matched up really well. I wish we had gotten a real feeling out exchange between Cash and Shelly (a hallmark of trios matches: pairings). They made MCMG look like a million bucks here as they, working together, were the answer not just to FTR but to Wardlow as well. I'd like to see a straight up tag now. They have to run that back at some point, maybe even in IMPACT. I got a bit choked up when Finley first came out pre-match too. It's pretty amazing that Dax is so over with such a SMW Tracy Smothers (or 80s Armstrongs or Ricky Morton) sort of act in 2022. Part of me wants to see him up against an ironic cool heel just to see if it bursts through 30 years of wrestling being broken like a rainbow bursting through a crowd.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

He also framed it like his lawyers intimidated Colt into dropping everything by threatening to go after his mom, which is totally cool and normal and punk. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Stefanie Without Stefanie said:

I'm assuming he hinting at Colt being bad with money so he needs his mom support.  Very weird flex none the less.

Some people are just cranky by nature, only happy being unhappy. CM Punk for all the great things he can so, Phil Brooks is a very demanding persona. Phil Brooks needs to realize that at 45 his windows are closing. He was truly terrible at MMA - and I doubt WWE would come close to him. 

I think there are times the addition by subtraction is true. AEW without Punk would be fine; I did not miss MJF. I would argue that AEW could use a much smaller roster right now actually. Send Punk home - pay him off and be done. 

• Like 4