DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

1 minute ago, Log said:

Update: Jim Ross thinks you should go for a pin. 

For fuck’s sake.  Between that, bringing everything to a screeching halt asking Taz to spell “jujigatame” during a hot match, and talking about thigh slapping, this guy’s gotta go.

• Like 17

I'm gonna go against the grain here: I didn't like tonight's show overall.

Danielson v Garcia was epic and I love the tease in the aftermath.

Outside of that though I felt kinda... meh.

Kenny's return is huge but he looked pretty beat up. I know it's more on me but I couldnt tell if this was worked and so I spent the whole match feeling like he'd come back too early and shouldn't be in the ring.

Also the more I watch AEW, the more their rushed production really bothers me.

Having everyone in the booth talk over each other, JR missing about 6 different story beats the other guys were setting up, Excalibur blasting through the "coming up tonight/next week" stuff four times in 10.2 seconds...

Is Punk meant to be heel now?

How do you miss the belt shot in the main event?

How do you miss the aftermath in the main event?

I was forgiving at first but AEW's been around long enough to improve. They are clearly settling for a standard here and, for as good as the in ring product is with AEW, their production team really lets them down.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

It was tonight I realized that I enjoyed AEW far more without Punk on it, thanks Mox for saving the segments.  Punk is to me what Adam Cole/The Bucks are to Just Drew.

If the Hangman shot wasn't planned, yeah, i agree with above, it's pretty weak to call him a coward for not coming out.  Still think it was a mistake to put Punk over Hangman.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey, I'm caught up. I mean not on the main (watched the entrance; tried to jump to the finish; saw Omega wobbling around the ring in a very silly fashion which some might consider "selling?"; moved on and got some eggs and coffee). But everything else! That was a pretty fun commute. I was reading the thread but ended up liking too many of @Jiji's posts and got annoyed by it so I'm skipping to my comments. 

• Punk was throwing so much fire in that opening that you wonder if it wasn't counterproductive but the "names" bit was pretty clever, I have to admit. Are those Punk/Umaga matches any good? I don't think he quite had his WWE footing yet, no? You can just sense the real underpinnings here, though. You can't have read Mox's book and tell me that you don't think he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder for how he carried the company all summer and Punk was full of restless energy. I don't like Adam Page, so calling him out when he's not there was kind of funny, but again, not super productive maybe, as the crowd DOES like him? (edit: oh) Anyway, to counter our Stuntman friend above, Punk's my absolute favorite part of AEW in 2022, especially in-ring, and it's really great to have him back. 
  • I'm going to have to face the challenge of writing up Danielson/Garcia for Monday, knowing that Phil will also be doing it over at the Ringer so I can't vibe off of whatever he's doing. I'm probably going to take a look at the acts/structure/transitions because that's what I do, and I thought they were great here. Very character driven moving from one sequence to the next. Garcia's presence in the moment is so good for his age and experience level. He's such a believable character who just gets it. You never get the sense of "here is someone playing a pro wrestler" watching him. My favorite moment, out of many favorite moments, was when Danielson got crazy eyes and started to unload on him. But the yoga bit was so good too. I'll get sick of it if he does it every other match for two years but that was so good. The Spider Suplex brought me actual joy for some reason (that and the Yoga bit) where I was smiling big. I love seeing Danielson get to hit stuff outside of a list of his proscribed "moveset" that you know would be such a bigger issue elsewhere. Anyway, I'll rewatch later and write up for Monday. 100% seek out the full version! (EDIT: Oh yeah, one thing I LOVED about the match was that at no point was Garcia ever over with the crowd. He was a heel the whole way through despite it being a kind of "Fight Forever" vibe. That's hugely impressive on both guys' part and made the fact the crowd got behind him post match all the more special).
  • I knew coming in the Mox/Punk match was next week now. I didn't know how they got there. I'm excited for a Nese/Moxley match in a month or two as they always pay off crap like this though. If you told me I'd be excited for a Nese match 9 months ago I wouldn't believe you. Good on that guy.
  • Flip of the coin and the Blonds could have ended up with Stoke instead of the Gunn Club. The Billy thing happened very quickly and probably needed another week or two. The pop was great though. Stoke has a pretty weird faction (Ethan Page, Moriarty, Gunns). It's very 1991 Hart Family (Mountie, Nasty Boys, Earthquake, Dino Bravo). Just without an Earthquake. Give the man an Earthquake!
  • Also had a big grin for Christian's promo. That was so earnest and shitheel-y. Good beatdown too. 
  • I bet Parker got a kick out of taking a Steamboat shot. He was a little shaky on the talking but absolutely great with believable old man intensity after the shot. Very good to see him. You know he had to love watching that match.
  • I like King. I liked her the last few times I saw her on the webshows. I hope there's a place for her moving forward even if it's just teaming with Emi and co. on Elevation or in ROH. Storm's been using the pendulum DDT a lot more than Storm Zero lately. Wonder if there's a reason for that. 
  • I watched a gif of a great Dragon Lee dive. Hurray. No idea what happened post show but I'm glad they didn't debut Ingobernables just to use them as a stepping stone without anything else thought out. 
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The rest of the show was very 2000 Nitro-ish. The "pissed off main event guy clobbers a jobber on the way to the ring," shooty promos, a couple short matches, the constant pull-aparts, family turning on each other (twice), announcing a ppv match on next week's show, the "we're outta time" turn on Dragon Lee that was not discreet in its setup.

Punk becoming HHH is pretty hilarious.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Octopus said:

lol, Punk pulled a Punk and the Hangman jab wasn’t planned. Woof. If that’s the case, calling him a coward for not coming out to a not planned moment is pretty poor form.

Oh, wow. Page looks bad for not coming out and Punk's worse by adlibbing like that. Page should be pissed.

1 hour ago, Log said:

Update: Jim Ross thinks you should go for a pin. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

For fuck’s sake.  Between that, bringing everything to a screeching halt asking Taz to spell “jujigatame” during a hot match, and talking about thigh slapping, this guy’s gotta go.

I wanted to strangle Jim Ross for both and how he was speaking to Don Callis. @Matt D's recent post on Good Ole JR was so spot on and one of the best posts I've read in my time here as a regular from September 2005 to present day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You know a match is good when it can inspire a 2022 wrestling crowd to chant something new for a change. +100 to the crowd.

However then they chanted “You Still Got It” at Omega. -500 to the crowd.

+1000 to Omega for working a “Maybe I don’t still got it” spot in the middle of the chant.

• Like 6

That opening promo was awesome, but really weird. I think Punk is trying to turn himself heel in maybe the Bret Hart kind of way. I always liked how the gold would eventually corrupt Punk and it would be neat to see that happen here too. There's honestly probably only a few people that Punk would only be over as a heel against anyway, and Hangman, Moxley, and Eddie are those three. I don't think it's necessarily bad that he adlibbed and called out Hangman if he's trying to get over as a heel. Hell, going into last night, I half expected Punk to wind up talking shit about Moxley's drinking.

Anyway, there were a lot of pull aparts during the show, which I like. It's an easy way to build heat. Honestly, the pull apart for Jungle Boy and Christian may have been better because Jungle Boy was in the middle of making scrambled eggs with Christian's brain. That was a level of brutality we've never seen from Jungle Boy before.

Danielson vs Garcia was great, but I'm not feeling it as a MOTYC or anything. Thought the ending to it was cooler than anything with adding intrigue to what will Garcia do moving forward. I can't see Garcia as anything other than a scumbag so I fully expect him to stay a heel and beat the crap out of Bryan again.

This is going to sound extremely odd, but I almost hate when wrestlers work like they're extremely hurt. More than anything, I want these guys to be in relatively good health and during the main event I kept thinking about if Kenny is really still very hurt or if he's just doing one hell of a sell job. The shoulder brace, compression shirt, not clasping the hands, struggling with his knee and ribs, etc. all started to feel like a little much, but then at the same time, what if he's still that hurt? I don't know. It just takes me out of a match. Same goes with working head injuries. I don't want to think about Danielson's head being all fucked up so I don't want to see him selling like he has a concussion.

• Like 5

Okay, Page should beat Punk. They have done almost nothing with their big project guy since that match and now he looks like a weak coward. He needs vindication here. At the very least he should beat Punk's ass decisively once punk drops the belt. Talk about cowardly, that's some dog shit here to get such a cheap shot that helps nobody knowing he wasn't going to respond (yet). If this is what is to come with Heel punk, oh boy. 

Edit: Omega rarely clasps his hands on those snap dragon suplexes and he did on Lee. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Okay, Page should beat Punk. They have done almost nothing with their big project guy since that match and now he looks like a weak coward. He needs vindication here. At the very least he should beat Punk's ass decisively once punk drops the belt. Talk about cowardly, that's some dog shit here to get such a cheap shot that helps nobody knowing he wasn't going to respond (yet). If this is what is to come with Heel punk, oh boy. 

Edit: Omega rarely clasps his hands on those snap dragon suplexes and he did on Lee. 

Did Page work Rampage? If not, they can put the heat on Punk by claiming Page "wasn't there" and Punk was lying. If he did... yeesh. Either way, that's seriously unprofessional from Punk to do that to a guy in his backyard... that or they're trying to work folks with this.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quantum said:

Current contract runs out when 2023 ends.

Supposedly, negotiations for a new deal will start sometime this fall.  Meltzer’s been saying for awhile that TK will load shows for the fall and put ex-WWE guys like Danielson and Punk front and center in the hope that they are names casual fans and network execs will recognize.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

Kenny worked the second half of the match without the shoulder sling/brace, and the knee was obviously an over-the-top sell since he was able to turn right around and hit the triple dragon suplex (and maybe at the end he was apologizing to Dragon Lee for dropping him on top of his head). I think he's going to be sore and not 100% but I don't get the feeling from that match he came back too early.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Did Page work Rampage? If not, they can put the heat on Punk by claiming Page "wasn't there" and Punk was lying. If he did... yeesh. Either way, that's seriously unprofessional from Punk to do that to a guy in his backyard... that or they're trying to work folks with this.

John Silver posted this during the show so presumably he was there (unless it's an old picture and he was just getting jokes off)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I expect this same energy for MJF if he doesn’t come back and his last AEW moment was shitting all over them on live TV.

I looked up the Rampage spoilers because I haven't been watching live lately and I wanted to see who Matt was talking about regarding Claudio's opponent (I'm less excited about it). I did not see Page's name surprisingly but I was looking for CC and could've missed it. 

Edit: Zimbra posted the silver stuff. 

Edited by Jiji

Omega get a subtle cheap shot in on FTR with the tribute act line during that not so great post show speech? I do like how Moxley quickly made most people forget about Dax as woty the past couple of months until Mr. Ax(e) reminded everybody about it last night in his corny ass way. 

MJF puts everybody over*. He'll come back strong and eventually put over everybody. It is pretty wild how AEW has two heirs for their big ex WWE signings in Punk and Danielson with MJF and Garcia. 

*except Brian Pillman Jr because fuck that guy anyway. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1