DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

Kenny returning was great though if he's merely acting like this instead of truly hurting for the sake of the story of the tournament then cool.  If that's real shit then I could have waited a couple/few months if it meant the Kenny of old.  But considering how he likes to do things I'm leaning towards it being for story purposes.

But the two main takeaways involved two people I had the pleasure of meeting.  Kilyn King I met in May and were talking about all the AEW women she would love to wrestle.  As soon as I mentioned Toni her eyes lit up and you could tell she wanted that so bad.  About halfway through the match I thought back to that and had the biggest goddamn smile.  Really fun match.  Oh, and while I didn't mention particular areas of the internet I did mention there's been growing support for her and wishing to see her signed with AEW.  She said if I know anybody to let them know thank you very much and she hopes for that to happen one day.  I can easily think of a few here.  ?

The other person is Daniel Garcia.  The guy was humble and genuinely appreciative of the compliments and I meant every bit when I said I look forward to seeing him as champ.  We also had a chill conversation about the Bills and Ravens which was just grand.  I still very much see him as champ and tonight was a major step forward.  Shit, even though Danielson will still crush it I saw it as a passing of the torch.  The match was some high art that I can't wait to see again and again.  And no matter if he won or lost Daniel Garcia is a goddamn motherfucking made man.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Ok, this would be pretty funny.

Maybe, but the production team misses so much stuff because of all the camera cuts so it wouldn't surprise me either way.

I believe Cubs has hinted Omega & the Bucks still hold Hiromu's injury against Lee but Omega seemed like he was telling Dragon he did great right after the three count. Strange scenes. 

• Like 2

Hearing a lot more optimism on Punk/Mox being jumped up. I was thinking maybe Punk's really not ready to go so you couldn't put him on PPV yet. Makes sense though if Hangman isn't in the Trios Tourney.

I thought Kenny looked about as well as he could. He was moving around good, that enzuigiri he hit was really smooth and he hasn't lost a step on the V trigger. I don't mind selling that he might be back too soon though and it'll be a justification for them losing at some point (if they do... to House of Black.... plz....) Even if he's still not 100%, it's an okay spot for the Bucks to do the heavy lifting and he could just hit his spots and not take too much damage.

Show did feel a little weirdly paced tonight, Punk came off pretty heelish in that opening. Some of the lines from both of them felt a little too "shooty" which AEW has been good at not doing. Hoping for Punk to retain next week, let's at least get The Autumn of Punk (Autumn > Summer anyway)

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a match as much as Danielson/Garcia while being so relieved that it was over. JAS is a little crowded and even if Garcia doesn't end up in BCC him breaking out on his own to find his own path could be a nice resolution to this arc.

Curious about how the rest of All Out is gonna shape up. No real clear challengers for the tag belts (assuming Lee/Swerve retain). I guess they can't announce TOO much with so much talent locked up in the tourney for now but feels like a lot of big names are kind of in the wind at the moment.

• Like 4

Did I miss anything other than Omega biffing the You Can't Escape me roll through? Both Lee and Jose missed catching his legs for the trip on the dive attempts so he made it seem like he was hurt to give Jose another chance at the leg. 

Edit: he's been missing the landing on the roll through off and on due to injury for a long time though. He should stop doing it. 

Edited by Jiji

I want to see more Bucks and LFI, they gelled well and were moving super quick. Kenny looked pretty good, for a hot minute I was buying that Kenny’s injuries might lead to them losing. I kind of don’t want The Elite winning the title. Also Dragon Lee is awesome and has tiny paunts. But good lord Ross and Callie both needed to shut the fuck up.

Opening segment was great although Punk burying guys got a lot of cheers from the crowd...the reprise later on was good too. The Indy security guys got a good workout tonight.

2/3 falls was definitely up there as a MOTYC, stiff AF, great story-telling. I’ve been figuring Garcia was going to be conflicted but it does feel a tad rushed. Garcia appears to be the heir apparent to Danielson, just needs to get a little better and more comfortable on the mic.

Storm-King was fun and competitive, Toni does FiP well. Hate the name for the butt strike.

Rest was anglerific, I did mark for “scissor me Daddy Ass” and I think StrickLee Business-Private Party will be fun. And Dax-Lethal will be too. I don’t expect Mox-Punk to fully happen.

overall, this felt like one of the really great, somewhat unpredictable 90s WCW shows.

Edited by JLowe
correcting an auto-correct
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hope this is just a short blip of booking oddness on account of all of Coach TK’s toys returning all at once. Thus a lot of very short term correction to stuff that was probably laid out under a months-ago assumption that all these guys were healthy (Punk/Hangman out of the total blue tops the charts there).

Hopefully back on track to whatever the longer plan has been, with a full roster, after All Out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Hangman was called out by name tonight and is at the top of the latest rankings. Unless they're gonna rush an MJF return two weeks before the PPV, it's gonna be Page.

FUCK THAT! ADAM COLE, BAYBAY!

• Like 1

That 1st hour was the best hour of wrestling I’ve seen all year.  Garcia is made. Love that fucking guy. Maybe my MOTY.

The end of “im just happy to be here” Punk was great. Hangman shot came out of nowhere. Mox took some hits, but I think Punk’s shot at Eddie was even better.

No fucking idea what they are doing with the booking.  If they give Punk/Mox away next week it’s a mistake.

Realllly no reason to rush this. They should be running a Punk/Mox feud for as long as they can. Especially if the full Punk heel turn is coming. Insane if they do not run that at All Out. 

Lots of MJF talk on Twitter when that title match was announced since it seems so strange to run it next week. Have this weird feeling we are going to get a Punk/MJF heel partnership at some point. 

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

Garcia appears to be the heir apparent to Danielson, just needs to get a little better and more comfortable on the mic.

Think about where Danielson was in terms of presentation, character work, and promos at age 23/24. Plus, Garcia missed about half a year due to the car crash. He's a fucking freak. Nobody should be as good at selling, psychology, and character work as he is at this age. Conflicted, vulnerable, arrogant. Guy is amazing and his promos are improving rapidly. Not a day goes by without me thinking about "WELL THEN I AM TOO."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jiji said:

Think about where Danielson was in terms of presentation, character work, and promos at age 23/24. Plus, Garcia missed about half a year due to the car crash. He's a fucking freak. Nobody should be as good at selling, psychology, and character work as he is at this age. Conflicted, vulnerable, arrogant. Guy is amazing and his promos are improving rapidly. Not a day goes by without me thinking about "WELL THEN I AM TOO."

Fair points.

With Ricky Steamboat there, it was like having three of my favorite wrestlers from different generations at the same time. And I love seeing the guys like Mox, Punk, Danielson, and Jericho making the next generation of stars.

• Like 5

Just now, Jiji said:

Oh yeah, Garcia the character is great. He’s that MMA gym / high school athlete douche that bullies kids and can legit fuck you up but has a real bad situation at home. And a lot of the badassery is also a veneer because he’s real sensitive to his dad being an absent and/or drunk asshole or whatever it is. He’s that dude.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Garcia is going to be a top 3 wrestler on the planet in a couple years. Phenom. His character is outgoing, ostentatious flipside of the same coin as HOOK's introvert. Similar zoomer, angry young man energy but expressed differently. Those guys are going to be so money for the next two decades.

It was great to see Omega smiling and looking generally happy after catching a clip of him on a stream recently where he was talking about fans just letting performers know how much they appreciate them because they can get depressed too and just looking really down. 

• Like 8

So many thoughts, so tedious writing them out. 

Speaking of tedious: I could not have less interest in a Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings prequel. Yet I now feel like I know all about both.

This was one of my favorite Dynamites in awhile. Too bad they're ruining it next week by bringing in Ospreay and Aussie Open.

Multiple Punk and Moxley pull aparts was great. Bonkers they're giving this away on free tv next week. Guessing we're getting Page vs Punk again at the ppv then. Maybe with WWE doing as well as it is they're afraid of losing Page and decided to put him back in the forefront?

If you asked me to cut two totally superfluous guys from the AEW roster I would definitely say Griff Garrison first, both because he's boring and because he follows Ben Shapiro on Instagram so is presumably also a horrible person. Tony Nice wouldn't be my second choice, but he's as bland and expendable as anyone else on the lower card. Both of them were made to look like total goofs tonight and gave up what would have been their tv time to make space for hot angles, so this felt like productive and focused writing. 

Billy Gunn and the Ass Boys are appearing here in Hamilton at the Comic Con real soon so now I'm wondering how they're going to kayfabe sharing a booth together. Angle and the Godfather are appearing too so it will be memory lane for Billy. 

Everything about the Danielson/Garcia match was superb. I was hoping for Garcia winning in two straight falls but after seeing where the storyline went and the face turn its leading to, it made total sense to have Danielson win. 

My partner came home from roller derby and immediately commented on how this was the most "homogeneous" AEW crowd they've ever seen. I would use a number of much more colorful adjectives but it definitely felt like the producers were deliberately trying to put young pretty girls on camera as much as possible to downplay the general vibe of unpleasant looking hairy white guys.

Somewhat on that note: I felt kind of bad for Jungle Boy that the crowd got surly during his very bland but more or less decent promo. But he needs to develop some kind of character. His promos against Christian have all been generic "I'm gonna kick your ass!!" kind of stuff which doesn't really suit a high flying dreamboat named Jungle Boy. Maybe they could put him with Cassidy and Chuck for awhile and let their goofiness-with-an-edge rub off on him. 

If and when Wardlow beats Satnam Singh in a singles match, will there be anywhere for Singh to go from there? I am a sucker for gigantic freakish dudes and he's pretty agile for a legit walking mountain so I'm not really ready to see him eat a powerbomb yet. And do we think MJF is eventually returning to feud with the babyface Pinnacle? MJF vs Dax in some kind of long bloodfeud as a means of establishing Dax as a top singles guy and eventually AEW champ...I would be on board. 

I know this company doesn't need more belts but they DO need a women's tag team title. Way too many extremely talented women on the roster for them all to be getting bumped so we can see Rosa vs Storm II (although I'm sure that will be good). Kilynn King looked great and I hope she becomes a Dynamite regular. Her slugging it out with Hayter feels like something that should happen sooner than later. 

It's kind of bewildering to think that twice within our lifetime there's been a guy who's objectively the worst wrestling performer who ever lived while simultaneously being praised as the exact opposite, that he's actually the best. The first was Shawn Michaels, the second is will Ospreay.

This show felt "big" in the way a road to a ppv show should feel. Certainly not at all times but generally, even during the less spectacular stuff, I felt like I was always ready for big angles to transpire or surprises to happen or just a general atmosphere of excitement. Hopefully the ratings start to reflect it too, especially now that Punk and Omega are back. 

• Like 3

This was a fun show tonight. I loved how it started off with Punk. Hangman should have come out or something after Punk dumped on him like that and in his home state no less. Moxley not being his usual hot headed self coming to the ring was a nice touch. It just built and built to them fighting. I'm not sure giving away the match next week is the best idea. It has to be a screw job of some sort to set up a true undisputed title match at the PPV. 

Bryan vs. Garcia was a damn good match. I like Bryan and his whole "i'm just gonna get spiked on my head" approach to wrestling. That piledriver looked nasty. I loved when Bryan went into zen master mode and he was just getting chopped and chopped. Overall a great match. Kinda wish it was on PPV so we wouldn't get the picture in picture cut aways.

It was great to see Kenny Omega back, but man he must of had miles of ace bandage under that shirt holding him together. He obviously came back too soon, but they were in a no win situation after Hangman turned the bucks down. If it wasn't Kenny...who else could it be?

He looked good enough, but you could tell how banged up he was. Should be interesting to see who they face next.

• Like 4

Came in about 30-45 minutes too late so I just kind of had this on in the background, will watch the main in full tomorrow. One comment though: I really hope Zen Master Bryan Danielson sitting in lotus position no-selling strikes doesn't become a thing, especially in other people's matches. 

• Like 2

Kenny working a "back too soon" injury angle is the sort of high degree of difficulty in-ring storytelling that I think defines his career. Hitting an all-f'ed-up version of his finish like that might be something I've never seen before. On a wrestling-as-performance art tip this was like, progressive shit dude. Also Dragon Lee brought it, hit his shit great all night and made Kenny look like a million bucks CAD. Dude should have several rounds of drinks bought for him.

If they are running Mox vs. Punk early then I really believe Punk is still hurt and this is a pivot.

Sending KiLynn King out into the wilderness was the right call and I'm interested if AEW won't use this particular developmental strategy more going forward.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 9

KiLynn King looked good and your guys' constant praise of her is winning me over. She lays it in and I appreciate that. The division needs more of it.

Still, though, how can you look at the ratings and say women's stuff doesn't draw well when you put on one match, one segment, with no build or story behind it other than to keep the Storm rolling? It's like what western governments do to publicly owned institutions and then turn around say they don't work. Sabotage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2