DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/15 - 8/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Raw live but with all that's happened figured it was time to give it another chance.  There were a couple things I could see skipping through so I may watch this going forward on Tuesdays during work.  But I overall enjoyed the show and the direction they're taking things.  Favorite part by far was Owens/Drew and the killer promo they had.  It was so good that people had a hard time staying into AJ/Lashley which was a good one too.  I never had an issue with the work that the wrestlers were putting in on these shows and it was nice seeing some of them again.  I still prefer Smackdown overall but Raw can be a fun one to keep up on.

• Like 1

Eh, it's 9:30.  That should be enough leeway to fast forward through the garbage.  It's Asuka and Alexa Bliss versus Doudrop and Nikki ASH.  Alexa Bliss is our face in peril.  Asuka is quite the frenetic Robert Gibson!  Nikki cuts her off and everything goes crazy!  Nice Falcon Arrow by Doudrop.  Sweet submission by Asuka to make Doudrop tap.  Hey, I wonder if HHH is in love with every tag team turning on each other every five weeks.  If the old regime was in charge, Doudrop would have clotheslined Nikki ASH already.  It's Mustafa Ali, who had a really good match on Main Event totally mangling T-Bar's neck.  He is tagging with Cedric Alexander up against the Miz and Ciampa.  Alexander and Ali are the Fantastics of RAW.  Ciampa crushes Alexander while Alexander was doing a handstand against the ropes.  They do the old school hot tag of tagging after the heels tag.  Mustafa Ali kicks everybody in the face after storming the ring!  Alexander looks great in this match.  The WWE cameraman does the great thing of having Ali landing his tope after he makes it out of the ring, so we at home had a better experience watching the tope that the people there live, since we are surprised while everybody live saw the whole set up of him running across the ring.  Bravo, WWE camera man.  Ali and Alexander are waaaaaay fun!  PUT THE BELTS ON THEM!  But yeah, Ciampa kills the fuck out of Ali.  Okay, I usually fast forward through the KO/Ezekiel stuff.  LIFE IS TOO SHORT!  But Ernie Jr is fucking awesome.  Hey!  Kevin Owens versus Drew McIntyre!  This'll be good.  Jesus, KO is leaning into Drew's offense.  KO goes on offense and he is all dynamic and shit.  I loved his Love Machine Splash off the apron.  This match is fucking great.  Drew goes on offense and it is fine.  KO is so much better on offense than Drew on offense.  Drew hits a nice Falcon Arrow, the second of the night!, after Owens lands on Drew's knees after hitting a Swanton.  GREAT Cannonball by Owens after getting Drew in the Tree Of Woe!  And a Frogsplash for TWO!  Swanton FOR TWO!  What the fuck?  Drew McIntyre IS Road Warrior Hawk.  SWEET Second Rope Air Raid Crash!  FOR TWO!  Kevin Owens IS the Monster Meng!  Nice Lariat by Drew.  Aaaaaaand the USOS?  I see that some things haven't changed yet.  That finish suuuuuucked.  Now I'm pissed off.  Veer Mahan kills a dude.  It's AJ Styles!  Will I become invested in an AJ Styles match and they roll out another shitty finish?  It's Bobby Lashley!  They counter each other's offense until Styles lands a knee to the face on the apron.  Styles takes a bump under the bottom rope into the ringpost that I have never seen before.  Lashley OPTS to start smashing Style's back.  NICE Spinebuster by Lashley.  Styles is inventing ways to hit the ring post.  AJ needs to bleed.  Jesus, Styles is bumping like a freak in this match.  It's that guy from NXT who was in NWA for a week!  They send the shitty finish to the back!  AJ Styles in so Top Five On Earth.  Oklahoma Stampede by Lashley FOR TWO!  AJ Styles a Spinning Die Hard Kansai!  FOR TWO!  (I know it was actually a spinning Splash Mountain but Die Hard Kansai- which was a Dynamite Kansai Splash Mountain off the toprope- is the coolest name for any wrestling move ever.  DIE HARD! KANSAI!)  AJ Styles with a CALF CRUSHER!  Lashley counters into a Full Nelson!  GREAT SPEAR!  I love the elaborate set-up for it.  That match was fucking great.  What pants is Bayley wearing?  She has many pockets.  TO HIDE THINGS TO CHEAT WITH!  Prolly.  Dakota Kai is smoother version of Tay Melo.  That match wasn't very long.  It's the nouveau Alexander Otsuka, DOLPH ZIGGLER!  And it's Theory, the lesser Logan Paul!  They go COMPLETELY BattlARTS to begin as Ziggler FUCKING CHANNELS TAKESHI ONO!  Theory transitions the match to US Pro Style.  He is Bob Bachlund in UWF.  Everybody is hitting Psicosis/Jerry Estrada bumps through the turnbuckle to the ringpost tonight.  I back this play one hundred percent.  They keep making a big deal about how old Ziggler is.  He's 42.  AJ Styles is 45.  Bobby Lashley is 46.  Anyway,  Theory is 25 so I guess they are trying to take from that angle but come on,  the WWE roster is not a batch of spring chickens.   Nice dropkick by Theory.  And the FOURTH Psicosis bump of the night.  The Psicosis Bump is the new DDT.  Ziggler hits a batch of midgrade US Pro style moves.  He should take the match back to his BattlARTS stylings.  Blue Thunder Bomb by Theory for TWO!  FameASSer for TWO by Ziggler!   They trade punches and they are fine.  I remember the existence of Dick Murdoch, but they are fine.  ZigZag for TWO!  He should do a Yuki Ishikawa Death Valley Driver.  Very elaborate set-up for Theory's midgrade finisher.  Ziggler strayed too far from his BattlARTS roots.  That was good.  An almost great episode but the finish of the Ko/Drew match sucked ass after building up to such a hot finish.  But everything else was good.  Lashley/Styles was great.         

• Like 4

Most of the show besides the opening tag and a couple of short matches was semi-background noise due to me trying to multitask which I probably shouldn't do, but Raw isn't quite good enough yet to command my full attention like Smackdown half the time and NXT all the time.

Asuka/Alexa vs. Nikki/Doudrop was a step down from last week's tournament match but still decent.

The Veer Squash was meh. Dakota's squash of Dana was ok if a bit forgettable. Dana is someone who as nice as she might be as a person really should have been cut years ago. She has a hit a ceiling and not just due to booking. This match made it clear it was Tamina who was the better of their team in last' week tournament match.

KO hit a good promo, but I'm honestly not super interested in seeing the guy go backwards to the prize fighter stuff. If they wanted a serious Owens I'm not sure why they didn't just have the Ezekiel push him back towards that. What I caught of Drew's promo was ok as response to Owens though I'm still wondering why Drew was even on Raw. I was really hoping they would stop this random shit after HHH took over. Their actual match didn't draw too much of my attention, but I'm not digging either a super amount currently despite thinking they are good.

Did like what I caught of Miz/Ciampa vs. Cedric/Ali. Both teams work well together. Miz and Ciampa in particular have worked surprisingly well in and out of the ring.

Missed much of AJ/Booby and what I caught didn't draw me in though I again find myself curious with what the plan with Lumis is at least. I like the unpredictable element.

What I caught of Ziggler/Theory seemed solid.

• Like 1

I thought RAW was decent enough. There were a few things that felt like they could have skipped. I was hoping when Veer came out he would be faced with someone who could knock him down. He's essentially Rusev minus the national pride.

The wrestling portion of the show was outstanding. It's been such a long time since I've said such a thing about RAW, but it's true. We had a bunch of great matches tonight with some filler mixed in.

I wish Lashley vs. AJ was given more build, but that was a hell of a match.

Next week Judgement Day needs a big win against Edge.

• Like 2

I still think this would be better as a two hour show, but that's a huge improvement from where I was a few months ago, when I thought it would be better as a no hour show.  I loved the KO/Drew match and I can live with the finish since Drew's gonna be taking the belt off Roman and the company is gonna be in dire need of top heels when he goes. Women's tag, US title match and main event were also standouts.

• Like 1

Not a bad episode of Raw last night.  On paper  Owens-Drew,  Dolph-Theory, and AJ-Lashley  could all be PPV matches.  Uso's causing the DQ made sense. Especially if Owens is getting a big push. Not a bad show by any means. It also seemed that the matches had more time to them. If we get longer matches and less talking/recaps I am totally for Raw being 3 hrs. 

I gotta tell you, as someone who has pretty much been watching WWE on the regular for a long time? I'm picking up on so many little changes now that Vince is gone it's bonkers. I had tapped out pretty much before Covid, and it took pretty much Reigns, McAfee, and SD getting good to get me back . These RAW's feel to me like a huge change, especially the announcing.

Sorry I'm late.  It was quite the marathon DARK.  Then I had to wash dishes and take a shower!  I AM SQUEAKY CLEAN!  BRING ON THE WWE NXT!  YESSS!  It's Giovanni Vinci!  If he would have just held off a few weeks, he wouldn't ended up with such a 1980s gimmick.  It's Carmello Hayes.  These two can go.  I expect this to be good.  I EXPECT IT!  DELIVER, WWE!  It's a little rough at the beginning but it kicks in.  I love the duelling second rope crossbody presses.  I also love that are building this match on chops.  IT"S THE NEW WAHOO McDANIEL vs GREG VALENTINE!  Giovanni Vinci is good.  During the picture in picture,  Vinci ALMOST sinks in a nerve hold.  Vinci IS almost Mr Fuji!  I love how they are setting up a fancy acrobatic move with punched to the face.  As opposed to a Lawler or Murdoch match where you would punch to set up a much bigger punch.  Vinci is all precise with his in-ring highflying.  They are just showing off with the AWESOME Blind Leg drop on Vinci who is hanging on the ropes.  SWEET Brainbuster by Vinci.  Vinci has mad phat hops.  So Vinci is NXT's Dante Martin. Except Martin never hit a Lariat like THAT.  Hayes wins with a roll-up.  What we learned- Giovanni Vinci is the Best Possible Dante Martin.  That was really good.  I love that they used the oldest school set up for the state of the art highspots.  It's Cora Jade, who is twice as interesting after turning EVIL.  It's Roxanne Perez!  I assume she will be all babyface FIRE!  GREAT CRAZY LUNATIC TOPE BY ROXANNE!   Cora's heel offense is really fun and nasty.  It really is good for giving Perez something to work off of as she enters the Sympathetic Babyface section of the match.  Perez is a world class sympathetic babyface.  I first noticed when she dropped the ROH belt to Deonna Purrazzo.  Her facial expressions are so fucking great.  She actually is the new Ricky Morton.  She is verging on the new Ricky Steamboat.  Cora Jade is awesome cheating and knowing that Roxanne wouldn't PULL THE TRIGGER!  That was good.  It's Santos Escobar.  It's Tony D'Angelo!  I see that D'Angelo is going to bump like a maniac.  This needs blood.  D'Angelo goes on offense when the screen becomes tiny.  It looks like fun.  I wish there was an international feed for NXT.  Santos makes a great face after taking a suplex to a stack of chairs on the floor.  Great tope by Santos.  Santos sells by not blinking, I've noticed.  Finish was neat.  I assume Santos Escobar is putting a mask on and coming back as Charlie Brown From Out Of Town!  BIG MAMA!  Hey!  It's Bea Priestley!  I guess she is in the US for a while.  Zoey Stark takes on Mandy Rose!  FOR THE STRAP!  Rose goes after Stark's knee brace!  Rose is fucking great.  Rose crushes Stark's knee in picture in picture.  TOXIC ATTRACTION IS CAST OUT OF RINGSIDE!  Nikkita Lyons makes a cameo!  Mandy Rose is fucking awesome destroying the knee.  Zoey Stark is fucking awesome selling the knee.  Man, this match needs blood.  They both escape each other's finisher.  GREAT FINISH.  That match was fucking great.  JD McDonagh takes on Bronn Breakker.  I don't think I've ever seen McDonagh wrestle before.  He flies around really well when Breakker is killing him.  McDonagh works on Breakker's crappy shoulder!  Then he starts working on his neck.  Breakker goes into Steiner mode until he does a Psicosis Bump to allow McDonagh to truly mangle his shoulder.  Toptope Frankensteiner!  Spanish Fly into great Brainbuster by McDonagh.  FOR TWO!  Spear by Breakker!  Spear by Breakker!  That finisher he does!  That was good.  The best match was either Vinci/Hayes or Stark/Rose.  I'm leaning towards Stark/Rose because it was such a cool story and Mandy Rose was fricking Ric Flair in that match.

• Like 5