DVDVR Message Board

Rampage Quake by the Lake - 8/12/2022

I'm in a bad mood and thought the show blew. That said, Garcia turning into a little kid that wanted to go hide in the closet and cry after he got verbally laid into by Danielson was excellent. Note, it was just the look in his face and his eyes. You could just tell that frustrated jock fuck is an insecure child inside and he didn't know how to deal with it. Great, super subtle character work. 

• Like 4

Had to look up who Zack Clayton was and saw he's engaged to J-Woww who I (mercifully) haven't thought of in a long time even though I live near Seaside Heights. Really when talent has to resort to "NEW JERSEY" as heel heat. 

Speaking of bad nights for Jersey, Sonny, why =( =( =( 

I mean glad they're getting a more prominent spot but been a fan for a minute and gonna feel bad booing them.

Swerve/Lee vs. Private Party should rule next week

Edited by Nineteen
unforuntate typo

Oh. Hell. Yes!

We got to hear at least part of "Cash In" THREE times.

For those who wish I would be less positive sometimes, I have something for you to hang your hat on: An actual complaint from Gordlow about something that happened on an AEW TV show:

In my opinion, that Sonny Kiss match was too short.

I await the angry blowback from all of my fellow AEW defenders. I hope none of you feel too betrayed by my heel turn here. My first loyalty is to the truth.

But hey! Now Sonny's a Trustbuster, so maybe we'll see her on TV more often!

Beaudreaux or Boudreaux is 2020s Ludvig Borga without the xenophobic element. I mean that as a huge compliment.

How great is it that AEW can give us a Dynamite bookended by two bloodbaths and follow that up with a show that is mostly goofy fun (Tay and Sammy kissing! Beardhausen! Ass Clan! Orangey Shenanigans!) but it all feels part of a whole?

It legit looked like Garcia was gonna cry. Imagine your hero talking about how great you are in front of an arena full of screaming fans. I think the fight will be even better than the promo.

Lotta good bumping and stooging today! The Brothers Gunn bouncing around for Redbeard, and a spectacular bit of selling from Slim J were the standouts for me. 

Orange almost stealing Mark Henry's line, and superfasttalkingEx were also a lot of fun. 

Ospreay Open vs Death Triangle will be sick.

More negativity!

Or, maybe, just a legit question:

Does anyone care about Reality TV megastar Zack Clayton? I'm the wrong generation and the wrong personality type for that kind of thing. I did enjoy the first couple of seasons of the "Here, guys get beaten off" UFC reality TV show. And I love Tom Lawlor in New Japan... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Does anyone care about Reality TV megastar Zack Clayton? I'm the wrong generation and the wrong personality type for that kind of thing. I did enjoy the first couple of seasons of the "Here, guys get beaten off" UFC reality TV show. And I love Tom Lawlor in New Japan... 

He had a couple of matches on DARK and I thought he was TOO KING'S ROAD to keep around.  I remember he fucking nearly killed a guy with a German Suplex and I thought he was done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THE REALITY has arrived! Quickly finding out I may be the lone Big Zack Clayton fan! I thought his work was good and improving throughout his time on Dark, has a great star look, but I'm also a Jersey Shore fan. His matches have gotten AEW clips shown on Jersey Shore a couple times. I personally thought he would excel as he was, doing more of an underdog babyface role, but Jersey Shore Heel should work out well too. Popped huge for his appearance here as I was not expecting that at all. Of course he's just getting killed next week, but I'd like to still somehow see it lead to a regular spot for him on the roster.

I dig the Trustbusters, their theme has gotten them over for me. Didn't expect the Sonny Kiss turn to happen tonight at all, figured the squash was going to be it for now and then back to Dark. Nice character development change. Quake by the Lake delivers.  Looking forward to AEW House of the Dragon next week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is actually my first time hearing Amon Amarth. Swedish Bolt Thrower, apparently. It's not bad but is totally unchallenging. You can tell the director was specifically hipped to Accept's "Midnight Mover" video by the band, only they told him to maybe not make people puke this time around. 

Serious caution: If you are easily motion sick you do not need to watch that. 

I've wanted Jericho to lose a "Loser Leaves AEW" match only to come back as "The Midnight Mover"

• Thanks 3

I was very tired by the time we got to rampage. A combination of post-dynamite’s amazing main event match exhaustion and long event fatigue. So I was cheering less and ready for bed, but still happy to derp.

Danielson vs Garcia (next week?) will be fantastic. Garcia is good on the mic.

Ass Boys are great heels and Beardhaussen works well together as a unit. If we’re not getting Hook as a partner, it might as well be a large bearded guy.

Speaking of Hook, the “yup” got over well. Doing “New Jersey vs New York” segment is kinda dumb in Minneapolis. We don’t like New York so that’s not winning Hook points live. 

Sonny Kiss being squashed was sad but the turn at the end was cool. Too bad the Trust Busters are meh. Mainly I just don’t care for tattoo guy. He just does menacing breathing poorly, maybe he had good matches or something somewhere, but he needs a beard or charismatic range. Switch him out with Bear County and give them a Skim J outfit and it is better. Plus, the “join my faction or else” story has been done to death by a much superior Team Taz and the Law Offices of Hardy and Andrade. Davari is cool and he’s a local guy that can get heat. But the Crust Busters are such a weird random collection of guys and adding the fantastic Sonny is random still but hopefully can make them interesting. 

Best Friends are great. After the show they took a picture in the ring with a very excited little kid who looked so happy he was about to cry. That was great. 

3 hours ago, Gordlow said:

For those who wish I would be less positive sometimes, I have something for you to hang your hat on: An actual complaint from Gordlow about something that happened on an AEW TV show:

In my opinion, that Sonny Kiss match was too short.

I await the angry blowback from all of my fellow AEW defenders. I hope none of you feel too betrayed by my heel turn here. My first loyalty is to the truth.

….

More negativity!

Or, maybe, just a legit question:

Heel Paul Gordndorff is scary. Now that Mr Positivity is broken, we can run this town. I’ll be Octy Octy Piper and together we shall battle the @The NaturalHogan (I am so sorry) and pity the fool Mr @DEAN for the main event of the first DVDVRmania.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Speaking of bad nights for Jersey, Sonny, why =( =( =( 

I mean glad they're getting a more prominent spot but been a fan for a minute and gonna feel bad booing them.

PRONOUNPOLICE~!

Sonny doesn't like they/them. She/her or he/him are both okay, probably the former is better.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Sonny Kiss being squashed was sad but the turn at the end was cool. Too bad the Trust Busters are meh. Mainly I just don’t care for tattoo guy. He just does menacing breathing poorly, maybe he had good matches or something somewhere, but he needs a beard or charismatic range. Switch him out with Bear County and give them a Skim J outfit and it is better. Plus, the “join my faction or else” story has been done to death by a much superior Team Taz and the Law Offices of Hardy and Andrade. Davari is cool and he’s a local guy that can get heat. But the Crust Busters are such a weird random collection of guys and adding the fantastic Sonny is random still but hopefully can make them interesting. 

Kinda a weird episode. Best part was the opening promo. Mixed tag was fun, Ass Boys v. Beardhausen was fun but short.

And I'm with you on Bear Country being better than this trustbusters group. Bit of a weird creative choice to feature these guys (and I guess the MTV guy?) over people the Bear Country and JD Drake

• Like 2

I have to agree, no offence meant to the guy personally but I am not sure why I am watching some Special K rando on the regular. But enough about Jay Lethal, wtf is Slim J doing on my screen in 2022??!

I like that Sonny is getting *something*, even if it's not much. I'll be honest, I haven't really seen anything from her which makes me think she can really carry a single's push - I mean I can think of some bizarro-super-problematic stuff which obviously they shouldn't do (Example redacted as someone suggested this might hurt somebody, not seeing it but fine)..anyway I'll quit while I am behind. Hopefully she can do some good heel stuff here.

Parker's back-suplex thingy is also terrible. Dark exists for this guy right now.

Rampage feels more and more like it's on that Heat/Main Event trajectory, sad to say. Which is not to say it's terrible, it's kind of fun having some of these guys on TV..but yeah we are in the 205 territory of having tired fans. Perhaps it is just because they had Battle of the Belts last week, but having Ariya Daivari vs Orange Cassidy isn't really much of a main-event - though I like Ariya dumping on his home town..I remember him receiving a hometown pop as a heel on 205 and it actually feeling like a moment.

Hard to see Trustbusters going over Best Friends though, as the latter feel like better opponents for both House of Black and Best Friends. The left-side of the bracket is definitely stronger...I must admit I am intrigued regarding what's going to happen. CFO and Miro hover over two of the teams, which tells me they're not going over...I don't think Death Triangle will win either, and I have trouble imagining Ospreay is coming in to lose in Round 1...and you can't help wonder if he's coming in to start something with Omega down the line. Fascinating.

Edited by SprintingFromAmerica
Edit: Somebody PM'd me, suggested I edit something out
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Swerve/Lee vs. Private Part

Do you think the champs will get screwed on this one?

Anyway, everything was entertaining. Enjoyed the Beardhausen vs Gunn Club the most. Those boys may end up taking Stokley's card yet!

Quite the promo by Hook! It was so epic that I memorized it word for word! Let's see if I remember it, here goes: "Yup!" Hah, nailed it!

Mixed tag and main event was very good times too. It was funny how much JR marked out for "Jane"! I mean, it's not often when he hears themes that he's actually familiar with from his young adulthood.

Edited by Shartnado
Actual thoughts added
  • Like 2

She was born Taynara Melo de Carvalho, then when she married her first husband she became Taynara Conti. Now she is Taynara Melo Guevara.

• Like 5

Saturday Morning Rampage, commercial free, no PiP, is the best Rampage! Terrific opening talk segment. Absolutely loved it! The Garcia build has been perfection. He's got the goods. Very much looking forward to the 2-3. More love for the mix tag. And even more love for the wonderful Sammy and Tay duo, and I gather from the less and less hate each week that ppl r starting to just enjoy their heel heat!? Tay continues to improve. She was an assbeater here. I also dig this big green machine Parker Boudreaux. I suspect the boobirds will die slowly as he (just speculating here) studies and gets better under his former/current mentor (and possibly the booster for getting him signed) Lord Regal. I'm with Gordi on this big sonofabitch being the best possible non-bigot Ludvig Borga. I'd love for the Ass Boys to drop this generic ambient electronic theme for something more obnoxious like the ol Daddy Ass' theme. Do it TK! I love the Gunns, but I'm pulling for them to establish a bit better offense. And a duo finisher. Erick Redbeard's really made the best of his AEW opportunities. I also think they've booked Danhausen for who or what he is very well. Weird LFI segment, maybe a second take would have sufficed. Hook segment prolly would've been better as a quick pre-tape. No issue here with them attempting to heat up a challenger. Loved Orange's attempt on stealing Henry's big line. Beautiful. So to this bout with Davari. Yes, the new Rick Martel! That's a big can of arrogance to fill tho. I get all the headscratching on the Trustbusters, but I have a big soft spot for this lower card heel faction. As far as I can see they're making all the right moves. Maybe in part it's the trusted hype, but also the Dark/ROHPPV showings, I'm really digging wily redneck vet Slim J in particular! Interested to see heel Sonny. What an incredibly random stable! As these numbers cause concern for the ratings chasers, and while some of the top stars have been shelved, I think the company's done a pretty remarkable job of getting a wide array of new(er) talent some opportunity to establish their names on TV. Anyway, my rose colored glasses enjoyed the fuck out of this show. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, DEAN said:

UDO DIRKSCHNEIDER~!

Good grief!  Why didn’t my parents have the good sense to name me that.

The Redbeard fellow sure is a quality professional wrestler.  He really has turned me around with his sporadic AEW appearances.  He really worked that crowd.  Give the man a few more opportunities I say.  I also would enjoy watching this team continue.  

I thought the main event was awesome.  OC works because his character is somewhat minimalist but never shallow.  He illustrates this with spots like the “let me pin you, roll away” segment.  But it’s all slight of hand because before you know it you’re in a pretty great rasslin’ match.  Storyline wise The Trustbusters had a notable night over a couple of segments and did manage to hold it together going 2 and 2 with the Parker win, not getting OC to join, or Daivari winning his match, yet avenging all that by having the big plot twist be the Sonny heel turn and getting OCs spot instead.  Phew!

I don’t know much about Skye Blue beyond her AEW work.  But I get the sense that there is more there in the ring for her than what’s been presented so far.  If her jobs keep going the way they have.  I can see a the crowd building up behind a good ole underdog baby face.  More judo Tay, less Sammy everything.  Kidding!

That reminds me.  I would like to apologize for my prior comments about Warhorse.  I suppose there was a kernel of truth in my shameful comments (that I shall not repeat here).  My intention was merely bust some balls and get a laugh.  I’ve seen exactly ONE Warhorse match ever and am not at all qualified to even make an assessment of his validity.  Sorry Mr. Horse.  Be more like Warhorse and less like Brandon Bones.

Thank you.

Hook had the unfortunate coincidence of using the word “Yup” right after this weeks Better Call Saul.  Additionally he forgot how to be stoic while whatshisnuts from NJ was doing whatever that was.

Another match that took place during the show was Dispensary Weed vs. Good Old Drug Dealer Weed.  It went to a 4hour 20minute time limit draw.

Play me off Keyboard Cat.

• Like 4