DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/8 - 8/14/2022

Dolfan in NYC

There’s a shelf life on any “hot” run of a promotion for a few years. I think what happened with NXT is that it had a lot of really talented people involved in a lot of fun stories and matches. But the talent either moves on to Raw or Smackdown and can’t always be replaced and you also eventually run out of fun stories. There is just a limit and that is what hit NXT, just like it did ECW and the Attitude Era and the best periods of WCW and will happen to AEW.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late.  Had to watch DARK and then I went to Kroger after doing the dishes.  Then I had to figure out why the interior lights in my car wouldn't go out.  I figured it out- my wife came out and pushed a button.  THEN I took a shower and I am now squeaky clean and ready for some NXT!  Nikkita Lyons!  If she could get out of the WWE, I get the feeling she could be hauling in Toni Storm-level money with an Only Fans account.  She's no Toni Storm in the ring, but she's pretty good in the ring.  I've seen Kiana James before but I don't remember much about her.  Let's watch and learn.  Kiana  James is pretty good. Lyons is a lot better.  She's dynamic on offense.  That was all right.  Kiana James GETS HER HEAT BACK, postmatch.  I skipped the first round of Wes Lee/Trick Williams.  This is pretty bad.  Williams not hitting Wes Lee is pretty embarrassingly bad.  The finish was good.  It's my first time seeing Thea Hail.  It's prolly the first time I've seen Arrianna Grace.  She's fine.  Thea Hall is good for her first match.  It's Mr Marina Shafir!  It's Apollo Crews!  It appears they used up all their good matches on RAW.  This is fine. I guess.  Nice clotheslines by Crews.  Nice Everest German Suplex by Crews.  This got better.  Strong is good beating some heat on our face in peril.  Crews has a fun comeback and gets the pin.  That was good.  Awesome!  It's Pretty Deadly!  It's Edris Enofe and Malik Blade!  This should be good.  Enofe and Blade get SHINED UP early!  Pretty Deadly are fucking awesome at beating the crap out of Malik Blade.  Bro Country shows up and distracts our NXT UK Future champions and allow Enofe to make the hot tag and hit a SWEET toprope elbow drop.  Pretty Deadly's cheating is sublime!  They cheat and win!  Pretty Deadly is awesome!  I can't wait for them to take the belts off those toothless idiots.  Zoey Stark and Cora Jade have a match!  Cora Jade vs Roxanne Perez next week is the money match.  I'm guessing there will be some hijinx in this match.  Cora Jade is fun as a heel.  She will now lay it in.  Zoey Stark hits a crazy splash off the toprope and I remember how much I love her.  They are laying it in during picture in picture and lament the lack of an INTERNATIONAL FEED for NXT.  Man, Zoey Stark is channeling Jamie Hayter in this match.  This match is fucking great.  Cora Jade is waaaaay better as a heel.  Maybe Skye Blue should turn heel since Cora Jade was the Skye Blue of NXT before turning heel.  MAN, that was a zany Released German Suplex by Stark.  HOLY SHIT!  Zoey Stark IS Akira Hokuto!  A fucking High Angle Tequila Sunrise Suplex!  It was like Zoey Stark was channeling Miyumi Ozaki channeling Akira Hokuto.  DANGEROUS QUEEN OF NXT~!  Cora Jade goes on offense and it's great.   THE HIJINX!  ROXANNE PEREZ SHOWS UP AND DISTRACTS JADE!  Stark slaughters Cora Jade with the least horrific move she got off tonight.  That match was fucking awesome. 

• Like 2

Lyons/James was decent though it still feels weird to see Lyons regularly fighting from underneath when she is bigger than pretty much every women on NXT tv not named Lash Legend.

Trick/Lee had some nice stuff though i couldn't help but suspect this style of match is done so much better over in NXT UK despite having only seen the very first rounds match they did years back. till a nice victory and moment for Lee. kind of surprised it didn't lead to a challenge for the NA Title though I'm looking forward to Hayes/Vinci.

Hail/Grace was a pretty decent and a good debut for Thea Hail. Hail was a bundle of energy and did some nifty stuff. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

What I caught of Crews/Strong was solid. Really dug the finish. It pulled off the fighting spirt aspect better than I usually see with the two clearly tired and struggling to just put the other down until one finally succeeded.

PD vs. Enofe/Blade was solid. I don't dislike the idea of Lash with PD. They feed into each others' characters well.

Stark/Jade was good stuff all around, easily one of the best showings from either women in NXT. Was nice to see hijinks kept to a minimum. Dug Stark standing tall at the end.

5 hours ago, Greggulator said:

There’s a shelf life on any “hot” run of a promotion for a few years. I think what happened with NXT is that it had a lot of really talented people involved in a lot of fun stories and matches. But the talent either moves on to Raw or Smackdown and can’t always be replaced and you also eventually run out of fun stories. There is just a limit and that is what hit NXT, just like it did ECW and the Attitude Era and the best periods of WCW and will happen to AEW.

I think this is a mostly fair assessment, but I also think guys like Gargano, Ciampa, and Undisputed Era never leaving helped NXT hit its limit faster than necessary. All of them should have been moved up years ago with only Gargano ever really justifying his extended stay via the Way. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm wanting Mandy Rose to retain the NXT Women's Championship.

I want Zoey Stark to get it.  She is the new Dangerous Queen.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I dont like Zoey. Hopefully Mandy wins.

Zoey is a solid worker and has been since her days of dragging watchable matches out of everyone in Dustin Starr's CWFH ladies' locker room, and she never held a title there because there was no Women's belt at the time.  I think she deserves to wear gold in NXT.

It won't be for long, though.  Rok-C is the future queen babyface of the organization.  Mandy will get the belt back long enough to hand it over to Perez in the future.

Something tells me that Zoey will not prevail.  She got a little too much time to shine last night.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Zoey is a solid worker and has been since her days of dragging watchable matches out of everyone in Dustin Starr's CWFH ladies' locker room, and she never held a title there because there was no Women's belt at the time.  I think she deserves to wear gold in NXT.

It won't be for long, though.  Rok-C is the future queen babyface of the organization.  Mandy will get the belt back long enough to hand it over to Perez in the future.

I'm assuming Roxanne is headed to SMACKDOWN or RAW sooner than later.

Roxanne is a kid but she's already an ace and a former RoH Womens' Championship title holder so yeah, I don't think she needs too much incubation time at NXT.  She's ready to work matches on RAW or SMACKDURN.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It's more a general thing, but it's going to be interesting to see how NXT changes philosophically from the past.  

Like Adam Cole and UE spent 2-3 years in NXT which seemingly everyone agrees was way too long. So now they're all in AEW (except Roddy), and WWE missed their chances with them.

So, now it's when do the call ups/demotions happen, when do the releases happen... all that should be changing since it's much more Hunter's (and Shawn's) show.  Guessing we'll find that out later in the year. 

• Like 4

IMO, NXT was light years better than RAW and SMACKDOWN at the time.  It felt like another main roster instead of the gateway to the main roster, and UE was in the right place at the right time.   They were where they were supposed to be.

I am not terribly convinced that things would've gone well for UE if they had been called away to RAW or SMACKDOWN and if I am being honest with myself, I think it would've felt more like a demotion.  See Also:  Tommaso Ciampa, Shinsuke Nakamura.

Thanks to the recent flood of Performance Center grads and indy singings, NXT now feels more like the gateway to bigger and better things on RAW or SMACKDOWN.  I think we'll see more call-ups to Monday and Friday night that feel like promotions rather than punishments.

Edited by J.T.

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean.... Shinsuke won the Rumble and headline Mania.  

We should all be demoted that way. 

I grudgingly agree.  For a guy that has accomplished so much in the WWE, it still does not feel like he's been used to his fullest potential.

I think I am just being a stupid and bitter mark.

Edited by J.T.

28 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I grudgingly agree.  For a guy that has accomplished so much in the WWE, it still does not feel like he's been used to his fullest potential.

I think I am just being a stupid and bitter mark.

For what it's worth he held the IC title for a combined 383 days with only 5 title matches on the 1st run of 201 days and 3 matches (winning and losing included) on the 182 day run.

So you can definitely say for a matter of a year he did nothing literally

• Like 1

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

For what it's worth he held the IC title for a combined 383 days with only 5 title matches on the 1st run of 201 days and 3 matches (winning and losing included) on the 182 day run.

So you can definitely say for a matter of a year he did nothing literally

People that think Nak isn't living his fullest potential never watched him outside of major shows in NJPW.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

People that think Nak isn't living his fullest potential never watched him outside of major shows in NJPW.

I'm sure there's more that could've been done in those 383 days than what was done but I don't deny he has done alot. I've got no issue with him getting that bag for the amount of work

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I'm sure there's more that could've been done in those 383 days than what was done but I don't deny he has done alot. I've got no issue with him getting that bag for the amount of work

The comment was more in line of "This coasting Nakamura is more in line with his usual "in 1st gear unless the banners say Wrestle Kingdom, Dominion, or G1 Finals" level of work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

I want Zoey Stark to get it.  She is the new Dangerous Queen.

I thought she was okay pre-injury but since her return she has been great. Better promos, better wrestling, better character (The stare and point at Mandy during the pinfall was aces!). I'd be totally fine with her taking the title now, even for a short while. Also she CLOBBERED Mandy with her weird finisher last night. 

I wonder if Zoey/Nikkitta (SP!?!?)in the tourney is a harbinger of a move to the main roster, or just WWE being short on teams? If it's the former, it might cement Zoey as not winning the title.

I think you could cool off Toxic Attraction a bit and not hurt them. Maybe have them tease a new member (Like Thea from Chase U, she's kinda got something like pre-superhero Nikki Cross) and then have them turn on her and humilate her and run a short feud of her teaming up with Katana/Carter to gain their respect while Starks takes on some of the other women like Lyons, Sarray and Ivy Nile. I'd really be all in for Starks and Nile wailing on each other.

Is Legado going to the main roster? Or are they just trying to subtly back out of this nowhere feud with Tony D?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, caley said:

Is Legado going to the main roster? Or are they just trying to subtly back out of this nowhere feud with Tony D?

A streetfight to end the feud doesn't really seem all that subtle. I'm guessing guessing they finally move up, maybe to Raw.

54 minutes ago, Eivion said:

A streetfight to end the feud doesn't really seem all that subtle. I'm guessing guessing they finally move up, maybe to Raw.

I guess by subtle, I mean there's really no consequence if Tony D loses. It's not a "Loser Leaves NXT" match, just a "We abandon this group" if Tony D loses the match.

• Like 1