DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/8 - 8/14/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Hmm.  I think the bot deserve an avatar.  

Anyway...  I don't recognize any of those guys with Hunter.  Anyone?  Are any of those the EVOLVE people he snatched up in '19?

22 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hmm.  I think the bot deserve an avatar.  

Anyway...  I don't recognize any of those guys with Hunter.  Anyone?  Are any of those the EVOLVE people he snatched up in '19?

I don't. Sorry.

I mean its been pretty normal in wrestling to find people with sports backgrounds of some sort, Japan or not.

Makes sense that none of the recruits were indy wrestlers. The whole thing would have been set up before Vince was pushed out.  

The next NXT UK TV tapings have been cancelled and the implication is folks are worried the show is not long for this world

Per the new WON

There is a lot of uneasiness within the NXT U.K. crew. The next two sets of television tapings were canceled on 8/9. The reason given was that BT Sports Studios, where they tape, had to be used for football/soccer coverage. But as you can imagine with the talent how the reaction is, given you could tape somewhere else and shutting down tapings is never a good sign. Nobody really has been told anything

• Sad 1

It was largely background noise for me this week so I could be WAY off but I could have sworn I heard some commentary during the show that hinted at a possible “goodbye” sort of thing.

Also, separate note, Sapp is reporting that

Spoiler

Top Dolla and Ashante Thee Adonis

may be on their way back.

I useta be able to to start watching Smackdown at 9:45, fast forward through all the CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, watch the 8 minutes of wrestling and catch the start of RAMPAGE at 10.  But now that HHH is in charge it's WORKRATE CENTRAL!  So here it is, 8:50 and I'm wondering if I'll miss the start of RAMPAGE.  There are worse things in the world than having too much wrestling on Smackdown.  Raquel Gonzalez and Aliyah take on Shotzi and Xia Li!  Raquel IS Vader.  She has a million uses of her power.  I'm digging Aliyah.  It breaks down at ringside with Sonya Deville and Natalya getting involved in the fisticuffs.  Xia Li is the Aaron Solo of Smackdown.  It is her DESTINY to be pinned by Raquel Rodriguez.   Aliyah is our face in peril and she makes the HOT TAG and Raquel CRUSHES Shotzi.  Shotzi TAGS IN XIA!  YES! XIA fulfills her DESTINY!  Raquel Rodriguez is awesome.  It's my first time seeing Hit Row.  They beat two dudes. There is a lot of stuff I can fast forward through and it feels good.  The Usos take on Drew McIntyre.  They beat the crap out of Drew!  MADCAP MOSS!  This is fun.  Madcap makes the hot tag and I'm getting really close to getting to Smackdown in real time.  Sami Zayn runs in and distracts Drew Mid-Claymore!  Nice nearfall off an Usos Love Machine Splash.  Drew McIntyre hits the Claymore!  NEW UNIFIED CHAMPIONS! would have been fun.  That was fun anyway.  Madcap Moss is a hoot.  Eh, 9:29 and I'm caught up.  This isn't like RAW with six good wrestling matches.  There has been two and a lot of stuff to fast forward through.  I can accept that.  I guess Zoey Stark isn't beating Mandy Rose?  I don't know.  Would you want your champ losing in a tag match on Smackdown?  Or do you want your champion to have a surprising run in the tag tournament?  Interesting.  What will HHH do?  Shinsuke Nakamura and GUNTHER should be good.  SURPRISE! It is!  GUNTHER is fucking great.  Ludvig Kaiser acts all European at ringside.  GUNTHER IS FUCKING AWESOME.  Since Smackdown doesn't do picture in picture, I can pee during commercials.  Dreams do come true.  Kaiser acts like he watches a lot of Opera.  GUNTHER sells the arm and still hits psychotically great power moves.  Is GUNTHER a robot?  Could be.  GREAT nearfall on a Nakamura knee to the face.  SUWA Dropkick by GUNTHER!  GREAT fucking LARIAT by GUNTHER.  FOR TWO!  GUNTHER is the Konosuke Takeshita of Smackdown.  OH NO!  That can only mean one thing!  Oh wait, GUNTHER CRUSHES NAKAMURA WITH A POWERBOMB! And that's that.  That was fucking GREAT.  

• Like 3

Raquel/Aliyah vs. Shotzi/Xia was decent. Neither team is used to each other per say so there was some slight awkwardness, but it all came together well enough in the end. That said I'm pretty sure poor Shotzi got a little fucked up again with Raquel before the match ended. That woman has the worst luck or maybe the best since she survives it all.

The Kofi vs. VR brawl was fun.

When I saw Top Dolla and Ashante was returning I was kind of disappointed as I thought it would be on their own, but reforming Hit Row with B-Fab was nice to see even if Swerve was the only one who really showed potential to be a big star on his own. The group works together well still and their entrance is pretty damn great.

Kross's promo was decent. Dug all the segments with the Usos, Sami, and Drew along with the eventual Drew/Madcap vs. Usos match.

The segment with Ronda, Liv, and Shayna was interesting. Had a lot of decent moments, but it again shows how bad they fucked with that Summerslam finish. Ronda went from being hated to begrudged tweener to beloved screwed over face. That would be fine if Ronda was a remotely decent face and Liv wasn't pretty damn well loved before all of it.

Stark & Lyons promo was pretty decent. Will be interesting to see how far they go. Hoping Stark takes the belt and Toxic Attraction fucks her and Lyons over on Smackdown. 

GUNTHER/Nakamura was so damn good. Dug the arm work from Nakamura and subsequent selling by Gunther. They built into everything so well. Kind of hope they get an even bigger rematch at some point. Nakamura looking kind of pissed post match gives me some small hope this isn't the last 1on1 meeting between them. Was nice to see the IC Title match properly main event. Hopefully it happens more often.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Glad to see B Fab back with Hit Row, thought she came off like a total star here the most. I remember feeling bad for her in her post-release interviews since she had gotten cut before the rest of the group, good to see them get another shot.

• Like 1

Tonight was a good show. I was glad to see Hit Row back. They had something special with them and for whatever reason they canned it before it could even start. Hopefully they get a real chance to shine this time around.

GUNTHER vs. Nakamura was a great IC Title match. I wish they saved it for the PPV, but none the less it was a good one.

• Like 1

Sorry to say, but a lot of NXT UK has been pretty boring af for a while now..

The recent highlights have been:

- obviously Dragunov

- obviously Meiko

- Trent Seven's heel turn has been fun

- Noam and Sha are legends.

- Dempsey is coming along, as you might expect

- Tyler Bate is still a great wrestler obviously

That's not to insult anyone else, Priestly/Davenport got injured and someone like Mastiff is obviously great but really hasn't been featured much recently:

mastiff.png

Middle tweet got deleted I think, but obviously a reference to Jim Smallman. Has his heart really been in it though?

Coach Tony K has brought in so many people, that actually having a Team Britain around Kip Sabian sounds quite plausible. Moustache Mountain and/or Pinky Party would fit the bill, as would Mastiff, but obviously per-appearance deal might not be plausible. Dempsey they'll keep, and if not then JAS need a Young Lion. Bate gives off the vibe that he might not want to go to US, but we'll see.

It does feel over. I am thinking HHH gave it up horse-trading with Nick Khan &c. Hope I am wrong though.