DVDVR Message Board

EPL Predictions Thread - Week 1

SirFozzie

I'm going to try to do a version of the Premier League Predictions the BBC website does every week.

The rules are as follows: Call the correct result (win or draw), 10 Points. Call the correct score, 30 Points

For comparison, here are the BBC's picks between their main predictor (Chris Sutton) and their weekly guest (this time it's his co-host, Ali Bruce-Ball)

Premier League predictions - week 1
    Result    Sutton    ABB
FRIDAY            
Crystal Palace v Arsenal    x-x    1-2    1-1
SATURDAY            
Fulham v Liverpool    x-x    0-3    0-4
Bournemouth v Aston Villa    x-x    0-1    1-2
Leeds v Wolves    x-x    0-0    1-1
Newcastle v Nott'm Forest    x-x    1-0    2-0
Tottenham v Southampton    x-x    2-1    3-0
Everton v Chelsea    x-x    0-2    0-2
SUNDAY            
Leicester v Brentford    x-x    1-1    2-1
Man Utd v Brighton    x-x    1-1    0-1
West Ham v Man City    x-x    0-3    0-2

My predictions

Friday

Crystal Palace v Arsenal (3:00 PM Eastern)

My brain tells me it's a horrible idea to predict a fast start for the Gunners, because, well, (waves hand at all their debacles over the last few years). But Crystal Palace haven't done enough to improve in the transfer market, and Arsenal are looking good in preseason (now that joke's out of the way...). I'm going to reluctantly pick Arsenal to avoid the banana peel.

Foz Predicts: Arsenal 1-0

Saturday

Fulham v Liverpool (7:30 AM Eastern)

Welcome back to the Premier League, Cottagers.. your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to not get utterly thrashed by a Liverpool team that decided to reload and just took the Community Shield from Man City. (talk about Mission:Impossible) Random Note: The auto-correct in Firefox wanted to change Fulham into Shameful. You know something I don't auto-correct?

Foz Prediction: Liverpool 4-0

Bournemouth v Aston Villa (10 AM Eastern)

Neither side has really improved itself over the last season, but Villa had a better squad last year, and I like them to squeak it by the lone goal.

Foz Prediction: Aston Villa 1-0

Leeds vs Wolves (10 AM Eastern)

We talk about matchup where the irresistible force meets the immovable object. This is the opposite of that. The resistible force (Wolves offense without injured players) vs the Moveable Object (Leeds traditionally all-offense defense). I almost went with the Leeds shocker but I'll take the safe draw.

Foz Prediction: 0-0

Newcastle vs Nottingham Forest (10 AM Eastern)

I was so prepared to LOL at the Magpies when they were taking over by the Saudis in their current sportswashing regime. This looked to be a prime candidate for the usual "Instant Gratification signing high priced has-beens and overhyped players before it all breaks down messily" story we see when new rich owners take over. That hasn't happened so far, and looking at their transfer activity, I'm not sure it will ever happen. Not quite a big six team yet, but I don't see Newcastle sweating the drop like they did last season pre-takeover. Forest has made it back to the EPL, but this is one of the tougher matchups they could have gotten as they travel to Newcastle

Foz Prediction Newcastle 2-0

Spurs vs Southampton (10 AM Eastern)

Someone needs to remake a certain show and make it about Spurs. They could call it "It's always sunny (to start the season) in Tottenham." Every year, they look placed to do well to start the season, only to well, you know... be Tottenham. They have a lot of offense, and for once actually have some capable backups. Southampton have to be favorites for the drop, so I think that the Tottenham hype train will be full speed ahead after a big week 1 win. Of course, we're just waiting for the wheels to come off..

Foz Prediction: Tottenham 3-0

Chelsea v Everton (12:30 PM Eastern)

You know, with Everton being so laughable last year for most of the season, you think this would be a great time to bet on Chelsea. Not so fast, my friends. Chelsea are a team in flux (as opposed to their opponents, who are a team in fucked.). They're still at the stage that most Football Manager players are familiar with. "Well, I can put him there, but that leaves an opening here, and do I really want to use him in that role...". Chelsea lack familiarity and a common vision at this point. I'm still taking them to win, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a sharing of the points.

Foz Prediction 1-0 Chelsea

SUNDAY

Leicester City vs Brentford (9:00 AM Eastern)

True story: When I was going to type this section out, I tried for a gut reaction to seeing the match up, but I get "Eff If I know what's going to happen" out of this. Any of the three results wouldn't surprise me. Selling your long term first choice keeper a week before the season does not a confidence booster make. Brentford look decent enough, but I'm going to take the draw because well, "Eff if I know what's going to happen."

Foz Prediction: 1-1 Draw

Manchester United vs Brighton (9:00 AM)

Speaking of teams that "Eff I know what's going to happen", helloooooo Manchester United! After an offseason where Cristiano Ronaldo tried to flog himself to every champions league under the sun and tried to pull the petulant star power move of leaving a preseason game at halftime after being substituted, but he's not going anywhere. At least for now. New manager, new system, and well (waves vaguely at the fans wanting the Glazers under the Guillotines). In short, this fixture is a whole truckload of banana peels for the Red Devils. I don't think it's a complete wind up, but to the Red Devils fans, a draw is as good as a loss, so let's go for that.

Foz Prediction: 2-2 draw

West Ham United vs Manchester City(11:30 AM Eastern)

Oof. Poor ol Hammers. Playing the last game of the week. Against the defending champs. Who are snarling mad over losing the Community Shield. Who have a new striker whose every game without at least two goals will be panned by the critics. The last thing we'll see in week 1 of the Premier League is a mighty old fashioned tushy whompin of West Ham.

Foz Predicts: Manchester City 3-1

Edited by SirFozzie

• SirFozzie changed the title to EPL Predictions Thread - Week 1

Palace 1-1 Arsenal
Fulham 1-3 Liverpool
Bournemouth 2-0 Villa
Leeds 1-1 Wolves
Newcastle 1-0 Forest
Spurs 3-1 Southampton
Chelsea 2-0 Everton
Leciester 2-1 Brentford
Man United 3-2 Brighton
West Ham 0-2 Man City 

I'll try to post week 2 right after week 1 completes, so more people can play (and this won't count for any season long competition we do, ala highway to ham

Results

Palace 0-2 Arsenal

Fulham 2-2 Liverpool

Bournemouth 2-0 Villa

Leeds 2-1 Wolves

Newcastle 2-0 Forest

Spurs 4-1 Southampton

Chelsea 1-0 Everton

Leicester 2-2 Brentford

Man Utd 1-2 Brighton

West Ham 0-2 Man City

Foz: 90 (Right Score: Newcastle, Chelsea Right Result: Spurs, Leicester/Brentford draw, Man City)

Pete: 90 (Right score Bournemouth, Man City, Right Result: Newcastle, Spurs, Chelsea)

Edited by SirFozzie