DVDVR Message Board

AEW Battle of the Belts III - 8/6/2022

8 minutes ago, porksweats said:

ROAD REPORT -  NOW UN-REDACTED BATTLE OF THE BELTS EDITION

I was glad to see my prediction of the match order was right, I didnt think they'd start with the womens and I knew TNT wasn't main eventing. Platinum Satnam is even bigger in person, second time seeing him it's just as crazy. Lethal has been studying his Zbyszko tapes with all that stalling. Wardlow rolling into that first powerbomb opportunity had the kid behind me screech with excitement and blow my eardrums out but you know what, it was really cool. Glad it only took one powerbomb to drop Lethal. Also glad we got a tease of a Platinum Powerbomb rather than busting it out now. Match should've been shorter and less competitive if they were ending with the post match beatdown.  Women's match. We really wanted Hayter to win. She really brought her a-game and Britt did some great stooging. If Rebel (Not Reba) was a better wrestler, they'd be Lady Freebirds. I'm really over Rosa's reign here because this was the perfect chance to hotshot it. Main Event Time, despite the deflating Rosa win, we kept the energy up for Claudio/Takeshita.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole match but felt it was a sure Claudio win until Takeshita's Ricola Bomb reversal, I've never been so worked by a match in my life. Both men brought their absolute best and I think it might've been the best ROH title match I've seen in person (even better than Danielson's win over Gibson).

Oooh, you lucky sumbitch!  You saw Takeshita/Claudio live!

• Like 5

This was a fun show tonight. I agree that Wardlow should be essentially Goldberg and he should just be demolishing people as champion. But this was good enough and I kinda want to see Wardlow vs. Satnam just to see if he could powerbomb him.

Thunder Rosa vs. Jamie Hayter was a damn good match. I thought Hayter might pull out the victory thanks to Britt, but I guess they are saving up for Britt/Rosa at All Out.

Claudio vs. Konosuke Takeshita was a great match. I thought he might be able to beat Claudio on a couple of different points in that match. Cant wait to see what else Claudio has in store as ROH Champion.

• Like 4

Fucking fantastic! I think Dean nailed Claudio-Takeshita right here...

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

That match was fucking GREAT.  FUCKING GREAT.  AEW RULES THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

Further, this Emi Sakura Thunder report explains Rosa's game pretty damn well. And reasons why there's such clear inconsistencies from match to match...

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Emi Sakura was talking about Thunder Rosa after the Miyu Yamashita match in that Thunder Rosa doesn't try to get over her own style in a match but tries to match the strength of her opponent- thus you had Rosa trading kicks with the best kicker in Tokyo Joshi Pro.  Emi said that's why Rosa doesn't ever look as good as her opponent.  Here, she will try to match stiffness with the stiffest worker in the Women's division. 

... and I think why this match worked so well. Rosa was great here. Loved the beating she took that she sold 'like a champ'. Loved that dropkick she threw to Hayter into the ropes. And Hayter absolutely brought the game we all so admire. Such a great assbeater! I had no illusions to who was winning, so felt no disappointment when Jamie crushed her head into the mat on that finish for the Rosa win. As far as Jamie wearing a belt - I really don't mind exercising some patience for that inevitable title victory. This isn't a company that ignores it's fanbase. Also, I'm more in want of a Baker-Hayter tag title run. Toni on top.

Goddamn was that opener ever a ton of fun. That's how you work a Wardlow bout over 5 minutes without killing his steam. Jay Lethal is incredibly underrated. Excalibur claimed Lethal to be one of the most intelligent wrestlers at the beginning of this contest, and Jay did nothing but prove that. And threw one of the slickest tope's to the floor I've ever seen. The escapes from the powerbomb, the terrific interference Satnam and Sonjay ran, this was perfect. So too the post-match beatdown. But one does wonder why Orange and the Besties didn't repay the favour extended by Wardy over the past few weeks. That said, no complaints. The OC-Wardy match was fun, but Jay Lethal just taught the heel roster how to have an excellent non-squash 'Wardlow' match. 

Highlight of the night was Claudio catching Takeshita in the DVD, but there's gotta be at least 5 other spots that were just as excellent. Perhaps it's my reaction to that earlier posted clip of Regal shaking young Takeshita's hand, but I'm really hoping 'the Club is open' for the young star from the DDT. AEfuckinDUB!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As amazing as the match was, what is the kayfabe reason that the ROH title main evented over AEWs own women's title?

They need to sort out the ROH/AEW split soon because it's making all of the titles devalued TBH.

Especially the tag division given FTR are holding everything EXCEPT the AEW titles.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The only other problem was Takeshita missing the frog splash, which was almost covered by the camera angle, but not quite. They probably shouldn't have replayed that. 

I wish the announcers had said that he didn't get all of it and that allowed CC to kick out.

Speaking announcing we had the best three man booth discussion recently but was that the best FOUR man booth in the history of wrestling?

I could listen to Man in the mask/ Mr. Maniac/ Mr. Regal and Caparice call every ROH/AEW show from here on out.

Gonna tell the kids that main was Flair Steamboat 89

and the womens match was just two dames just beating the everloving FUCK out of each other.

I bit on some near falls in both matches. And felt the finishes kept the challengers looking strong  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

Thunder Rosa vs. Jamie Hayter was a damn good match. I thought Hayter might pull out the victory thanks to Britt, but I guess they are saving up for Britt/Rosa at All Out.

Depending on how bad Hayter's nose is broken, it sure seems like they're building towards a fatal four way between Rosa, Toni, Britt and Jamie for the title.

• Like 2

Naturally I'm disappointed Hayter didn't win, but I wasn't really expecting a title change on a random taped show. I'm trusting Big Tone to see the light soon and put the strap on her, otherwise me and my friend Mark are gonna stop watching. 

Hey! That was a good show.

• Lethal vs Wardlow was what it should have been. I question the wisdom of putting him against Satnam so soon, for both wrestlers' sake. Honestly, I would have done Joe vs Satnam first, or maybe even a series of those so that he could have learned from Joe, maybe? Match itself worked with Lethal getting a small advantage due to distraction but Wardlow quickly and definitively overcoming it.
  • Really liked the women's match. Here, you built from the previous match on the show by having the distractions and interference be the difference in allowing Hayter to keep control through most of the match. I'd probably rather see Rosa work from underneath than control a match and she did a very good job here helping Hayter to look like a force, not that she needed much help. Baker was really annoying on the outside, but in a good way. If Hayter did break her nose on Rosa's shoulder coming down on the brainbuster, then amazing resilience in her finishing the match so strong. The finish was very believable just in the way it was caught on camera. That's a thing with the announcers all night. They did such a great job of logically connecting dots and taking visual possibilities and making them into logical reasons for things. 
  • Main really over-delivered for me. It got a ton of time but there was a real sense that Claudio knew what he had there and knew how to maximize it. Primarily the athleticism and size and heart and intensity of Takeshita. They worked together to give a very competitive "title match" opening with chain wrestling and counters that really played into these strengths. Then you had the backwork to help ground things and give the match meat and substance that a bomb-fest (which would play to Takeshita strengths in a different way) wouldn't have. To me, the best moment of the match was during the PiP when he fought so hard for a suplex that everyone knew was going to hurt him as well, that, at best, would only buy him a few seconds of respite at even a higher personal cost, but once he saw the opening and once he committed, he couldn't back down. It was a moral victory but a step towards losing the war, but it tells you so much about who Takeshita is as a character that he couldn't back down. He did a very solid job of giving little touches towards the back as the match went on but very believably leaning in to adrenaline as he was coming back.@Gordlowwill be glad to know that I'm ok with the strike exchanges/pop ups because they were 20 seconds in a long match, at a time and in a way that fit into the match. It was one-two spots each, and further what they were trying to do instead of becoming some sort of centerpiece or and end until itself. For something like that, it was very focused/controlled/conservative, and as such it worked as a tool. I probably would prefer them to have not done it, but it didn't bother me because it was very much one thing instead of a whole chapter which is usually the case. (It's not an automatic demerit or anything; it's about the context. It's just that usually the context still doesn't justify it in practice; this time, it came much closer than usual). And hey they went to the back again for the finish which felt appropriate. Mox vs Takeshita was very good but it was more about Takeshita passively having to be plugged Mox's formula and having to survive him through his own attributes. This was more about Claudio actively interfacing with Takeshita to create a match that brought both of their strengths to the forefront to create something even greater than the sum of the already impressive parts.
Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

I'm watching the Wardlow/Jay Lethal.  So Wardlow is awesome.  He bumps all over the ring to make Lethal look great but still keeps his aura of indestructibleness.  I don't think even Vader could pull that off.  Wardlow hits a great Psicosis/Jerry Estrada bump to the ringpost right before the Lethal Tope.  That shit is fucking awesome.  So the TNT Roku version of the show doesn't do picture in picture.  It just shows commercials and skips the part of the match that was in the picture in picture. THE WORST OF BOTH WORLDS!  Satnam's chokeslam through the table was nice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zendragon said:

Mr. Maniac

Ahhh, NOW I get it... Regal also called Mr. Man in the Mask "a fine truffle" so if that one can be explained, please and thank you. I'm guessing it's just a high compliment because a good truffle found in the woods is definitely worth something. 

I'm gonna watch this again when I find the INTERNATIONAL FEED later on tonight. 

• Like 1