DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 8/5/2022

Mox vs Mance! Mox vs Mance! It's gonna be a fight! AEW continues their long streak of giving us exactly what we want before we even realise we want it.

Also: Limitless House vs He Has Abs & He Has Quads. In a street fight. A Friday Night Street Fight.

I, personally, don't tend to think of Keith Lee, Swerve Strickland, Tony Nese, or Josh Woods as street fighting brawler types. I am interested to see what they do in that environment.

I do tend to think of Mox and Mance as street brawling maniacs. Perhaps they'll throw a curveball and do lots of elaborate chain wrestling? I'll bet they could pull that off. On the other hand, I predict they'll (literally) beat the blood and snot out of one another.

Also Madison Rayne will fight Leyla Grey or Leila Gray or however she spells it. I don't have enough time to watch impact. Presumably Mean DEAN and others have opinions on how good this is likely to be. I like watching new-to-me wrestlers. I don't need no video package explaining who she is. I can let her show me, in the ring. 

I wasn't all that taken with Rayne's commentary during the (excellent!) Shida vs Emi match on YouTube. I look forward to watching her fight, though.

I think only three matches have been announced. Should we manifest a fourth?

Bryan vs JD Drake?

Takeshita vs Sepentico?

2.0 vs Bear Country?

Edit: I went and checked and Madison Rayne was not an official option in either of the "Who should AEW steal from Impact?" polls. So I am tempering my expectations accordingly .

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I will report my live viewing experience as soon as I get home tomorrow, I'm excited for the budding Nese/Woods team and seeing what a clubberin' it's gonna be for that Mox/Mance matchup.

A dream match I want to manifest right now is Ruffin It vs Ethan Page/Lee Moriarty/??? (whoever Stokely gets as a 3rd man - Sonny Kiss? Griff Garrison?)

also Takeshita vs Angelico or Guevara (the latter did take place in DDT)

Edited by porksweats
added 3rd man thoughts and bonus match
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

I will report my live viewing experience as soon as I get home tomorrow, I'm excited for the budding Nese/Woods team and seeing what a clubberin' it's gonna be for that Mox/Mance matchup.

A dream match I want to manifest right now is Ruffin It vs Ethan Page/Lee Moriarty/??? (whoever Stokely gets as a 3rd man - Sonny Kiss? Griff Garrison?)

also Takeshita vs Angelico or Guevara (the latter did take place in DDT)

Aren't you getting Claudio Castignoli vs Takeshita!!?!! Battle of the Belts is being taped after Rampage, no?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Aren't you getting Claudio Castignoli vs Takeshita!!?!! Battle of the Belts is being taped after Rampage, no?

It is and I am! But you never know if there will be any additional dark tapings, I wonder how it will go as most events are 3 hours not counting Pre-show, and this is just 1 hour of Rampage and an hour for Belts

• Like 2

As Gorilla Monsoon so eloquently put it, I expect to see lots of Greco-Roman punches to the face in the Mox vs. Mance match.  I don't think it is a question of if they will bleed, but how much they will bleed.

• Like 7

Putting forth a recommendation for a board mandate that all references towards one "Mance" should thus forth be "Monce" in the spirit of Lonce vs. The World. Moncer is also an acceptable variation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Also Madison Rayne will fight Leyla Grey or Leila Gray or however she spells it. I don't have enough time to watch impact. Presumably Mean DEAN and others have opinions on how good this is likely to be. I like watching new-to-me wrestlers. I don't need no video package explaining who she is. I can let her show me, in the ring. 

I wasn't all that taken with Rayne's commentary during the (excellent!) Shida vs Emi match on YouTube. I look forward to watching her fight, though.

I hear she is very creative and should do very well in a backstage capacity.

• Thanks 1

The Serpentico match reminded that Ol Mancer has real good punches. Or should I say, GREAT PUNCHES~! So this should be as stiff as it is bloody. 

"...crawling through broken glass, falling into barbed wire... that's what I call the measure of a man." - Mancer

20 minutes ago, porksweats said:

I am not familiar with the style of report!

1) Tell us what you ate, and where, on the way to the show.

2) Give us some backstory (something funny that happened on your trip, something going on in your life, someone you met, background about the atmosphere at the show/merch you bought..)

3) Tell us about every single match on the entire card.

4) Epilogue, including thoughts on the experience and anything interesting that happens after the show.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 7

I wonder how much money I could have won betting on Mawks not bleeding today. If this is to set up Jericho beating Moxley so that Mad King can get his huge moment in the tennis stadium, then well done! It is pretty funny how commentary went all in on it being a huge risk for Mox to fight Mance before his title defence but Takeshita fighting Nemeth before his title shot was obviously no big deal. Busier than a fruit merchant? Crossraynes ? Does she have a Raynebuster and a Raynemaker in her arsenal? Dudes got yeeted in the main, so I am happy. More AEW tomorrow, so I am ecstatic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MONCE!  Versus MOX! And there will be blood in... huh!  I guess they are holding off.  This is fun!  WHO WILL BLEED FIRST?!?  MOX TAKES A DDT ON THE STEEL STEPS!  Annnnd Mox isn't bleeding yet.  I await the INTERNATIONAL FEED tomorrow.  They are still wrestling.  MONCE IS FIRST TO BLEED!  THAT is a LOT of blood.  Mance Warner succumbs to a Bulldog Choke!  I'm guessing there will be BLOOD in the street fight so Mox didn't blade?   Nick Comoroto is unrecognizable when wearing a hat.  I'm guessing Konosuke Takeshita wrestled AFTER wrestling Claudio?  Unless they are taping battle of the belts AFTER this which would be insane.  But JR was talking like he had already seen the match.  Either way,  MORE CINNEBOMB!  YES!  PRETTY PETER AVALON- THE PRETTIEST BOY IN AEW!  Gets CRUSHED by a flying knee!  It's kind of strange to basically have Madison Rayne and Leila Grey debut on Rampage.  Madison Rayne looks perfectly fine and Leila Grey looked perfectly fine.  Stokely Hathaway was great.  Grey looks great in picture on picture beating the hell out of Madison.  That was pretty good in that they took it home before the crowd went from tepid tolerance to completely turning on it.  Grey only looked lost once.  Rayne looked better than she ever did on IMPACT!  I assume she is getting mauled Wednesday and Athena saves her bacon.   Josh Woods looks great in this street fight.  Fun things are happenng in picture in picture.  This match has become a wreck and I think I love it.  GREAT DOUBLE TABLE SPOT with KEITH LEE AND JOSH WOODS!  That was fucking great.  Smart Mark Sterling ALMOST took the craziest bump of the match but it does help seal his fate as the new Bobby Heenan.  That main event was WAAAAAY better than I thought it would be.  Shane Strickland is a treasure.  Odd episode but it had a lot of good wrestling.  It was strange to introduce so many wrestlers- MONCE, Leila Gray, Madison Rayne and Josh Woods- on a national stage all at once.  Either way, the matches were good and we got a extra dollop of Takeshita.  Overall, I declare this a successful episode.  AEW RULES THE ENTIRE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gordlow said:

1) Tell us what you ate, and where, on the way to the show.

2) Give us some backstory (something funny that happened on your trip, something going on in your life, someone you met, background about the atmosphere at the show/merch you bought..)

3) Tell us about every single match on the entire card.

4) Epilogue, including thoughts on the experience and anything interesting that happens after the show.

And for God's sake, PARAGRAPH BREAKS

• Haha 4

Hey now, Mox kinda got juice because Mancer went back to trying to bust the eyebrow with those short knuckle punches over and over again. And he definitely got blood all over him after Mance bladed which looked pretty gross actually. I wish Mancer would have just thrown haymakers the whole time instead; match was fine but they've got a better one in em. 

Only half-watched the Rayne match so I'll let others pontificate about that one.

Takeshita is OVER. The Cesaro match is gonna rule. 

Main was a lot of fun. Not only did they rank on Elgin getting arrested in Japan with the protein powder but Swerve had Scott Hall Jizz Pants! Nese's selling is nice and broad, so he's perfect for something like this. Poor Woods got his skull crushed by Lee's flab. 

• Like 4

Y’all, Mance opened up Mox’s never-healing cut hardway before the .3 Muta bladejob. That was a fun fight, and I also get the sense that was to set up Mox losing to Jericho (and hopefully leading to Eddie’s big win at Grand Slam).

Lard Lad! Guess they realized that they needed to give him a TV win, even though he’s looked so amazing in losing the big matches. We get Pretty Peter on TV! I don’t think there’s any question Claudio-Takeshita will be MOTN tomorrow.

After the super hot, super good tag match on Wednesday, the Rayne-Gray match was...not so good and was very close to losing the crowd. Rayne’s finisher looked pretty good though.

Street fight kind of dragged early on, didn’t really pick up for me until that Swerve 450 onto the stack. Like Woods and Nese are fine but just so bland. The protein powder felt very WWE in a not good way, and the fact that Nese no-sold it while Lee acted like he’d been hit with three kinds of mist and a sack of salt didn’t help. I do like Sterling as neo-Heenan. The big table spot was fine. Again, this just felt like a waste of a “street fight” and didn’t really do anything to make Lee and Swerve look like champions.

• Like 3