DVDVR Message Board

RIP Vin Scully (1927 - 2022)

Gonzo

Hi, everybody, and a very pleasant good evening to you, wherever you may be.

I know there are only a couple of us LAD fans here, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that lots of you have good Scully memories.

I am a lifelong Dodgers fan, as my parents both had ties to the team. My mother was from LA and my dad grew up less than a mile from Ebbets Field. I grew up in San Jose, my dad was in the tech business and that brought him up that way after moving to LA in '73 and my mother stayed in Northern CA after being stationed at Fort Ord when she was in the service.  Ain't no fucking way I was going to be an SFG fan, regardless of who the local boys were. The A's were more fun in the 80's anyway. How can you go wrong with Rickey and Tony Phillips and Carney Lansford?

My shitty clock radio in my bedroom could pick up an AM station out of Fresno that was part of the LAD radio network, so Vin told me bedtime stories every night from April to October. My grandparents were still Southern CA folks, and I spent a month every summer down there, so I'd get my Scully fix on TV games while I was there. 

He was the voice that reinforced all the stories my dad told me about how great guys like Koufax and Hodges and Campanella and Maury Wills were. He called every amazing memory I have of Dodger baseball, from Gibson's walk-off in 88 to Steve Finley's GS against SFG to win the West in 2004 to the 4+1 game in 2006 to Charlie Culberson walking off Colorado to win the West in 2016. 

In an era in which I couldn't watch LA unless they were in SF, I always got to hear him do TV baseball with Garagiola for the NBC game of the week, and although I don't have any interest in any sport outside of baseball, he did The Masters and lots of football, so his voice was always pretty present if I needed a quick fix.

I'm so happy to have gotten to share him with my boys, although my youngest was born the year he retired, Vin is so present in everything Dodgers, he is well aware of what he means to the team. 

The absolute best to have ever done it, and I'm so thrilled to have gotten to share 30 plus years of baseball memories with him as the soundtrack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5