DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2022

The Natural

Returning to the women's talk, I think you've all covered most of the matches there are to see and hopefully we'll get in the next calendar year.

However, when rummaging through a toyshop and buying her figure recently, I was reminded of how much I miss Shida. She got done dirty. Carried the women's division on her back during the pandemic, and aside from the awesome Deeb feud has barely been seen since. 

Is she full time to AEW and wrestling in general? If anyone could work a "I deserve the applauds and accolades Rosa is currently getting" heel turn it would be her. Imagine she does a deal with the devil and starts a vicious tag team with Deeb? *Vince meme template insert here*

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Returning to the women's talk, I think you've all covered most of the matches there are to see and hopefully we'll get in the next calendar year.

However, when rummaging through a toyshop and buying her figure recently, I was reminded of how much I miss Shida. She got done dirty. Carried the women's division on her back during the pandemic, and aside from the awesome Deeb feud has barely been seen since. 

Is she full time to AEW and wrestling in general? If anyone could work a "I deserve the applauds and accolades Rosa is currently getting" heel turn it would be her. Imagine she does a deal with the devil and starts a vicious tag team with Deeb? *Vince meme template insert here*

I could be wrong but I think she moved to america to be full time with AEW

I will admit glancing at Rampage spoilers but I only opened it up and then did a CTRL+F on "Claudio" so I didn't see actual results, but I did see who came out to challenge our Swiss pal and I am very excited for the match that will result from it. 

That is all.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I could be wrong but I think she moved to america to be full time with AEW

Shida and Riho both moved to the US. I think Shida moved in late 2019, and Riho was last year sometime.

I am late. I am not sorry, though. Just busy-ish.

EDIT:  Also, posting in the wrong thread. For that, I apologize. My excuse is it's been a busy day.

Immediately after the show I had to get to the bank with my wife to sort out some stuff. She's a Hospital nurse, so her days off are not regular. When our free time aligns we need to get stuff done. Which we did. 

Then, I was off to my volunteer teaching job at Joyous School after which I bussed across town to go to my buddy's place to catch the G1 finals.

I got to watch two MOTYCs today! Totally different matches. The New Japan one was a war of attrition with both guys pushing past the point of exhaustion (and kicking out of finishers at 2.999) as you'd expect. The AEW one was straight up BattleArts striking and grappling arranged around a classic two out of three falls structure. Which I was hoping for but I cannot say I was expecting it. Oh boy, what a day of wrestling!

I also got to mark out over Kenny  twice. First time because of course it was him, but until the announcement began we didn't know it was him. The second time because (G1 spoiler)

Spoiler

Ospreay hit a Styles Clash on Okada (for 2.999) and I joked that he should go for the One Winged Angel next... and then he did the Kenny point...

I also joked that it would be "one wicked angle" if he won with Kenny's finisher. I think we'll get Kenny vs Ospreay at The Dome this year. Selfishly, my buddy and I are hoping they hold off until Dominion, though.

I wonder where KiLynn King ranks on CM Punk's list of pro wrestling KiLynns. She is my #1 for sure.

Tony Storm should do a strike flurry where she kicks her opponent with the toe of her boot then hits them with a knee, then kicks them, then knees them, then kick, knee, kick, knee..

She could call it the 

Spoiler

Toe Knee Storm

American Dragon tapping out to a Dragon Sleeper, Dragon Lee bumping huge for a Snap Dragon Suplex, and Ricky Steamboat!I

Are you... Sirius?

giphy.gif

oh boy I love me some pro wrestling!

"You're a wrestler!"  ❤

Edited by Gordlow
wrong thread
  • Like 6

I finally subscribed to the Fite AEW thing, what are some bangers from the first two-ish years of Dynamite that I should go back and check out?  I started watching regularly around the time of Blood and Guts 1, but watched a couple of times before that, like for the Pac/Omega ironman match.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I finally subscribed to the Fite AEW thing, what are some bangers from the first two-ish years of Dynamite that I should go back and check out?  I started watching regularly around the time of Blood and Guts 1, but watched a couple of times before that, like for the Pac/Omega ironman match.

Have you seen Best Friends versus Santana/Ortiz in the Parking Lot Fight?

Honestly, the pandemic era stuff was sad because of the lack of live crowds, but AEW still had some really fun matches. Brodie/Cody in the dog collar match was brutal. Omega/Moxley from Winter Is Coming, there was an eight man tag where FTR & the Young Bucks teamed up that I remember liking. Arcade Anarchy was a lot of fun too, and then the Nightmare Factory shows at the start of the pandemic when everything shut down had a few good matches (Baker/Shida being one of them).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Welcome to the Fite crew! I can suggest the 3 matches between Cody and Malakai Black, Darby Allin vs Mox and vs Cody, The Five Labours of Jericho (at least some of them). I heard that there is another match between Adam Page and Brian Cage than the one at Double or Nothing 2021, so that's actually something I should try to check out myself! There's probably a metric ton of stuff that is worth watching, but I have not gotten around to it yet.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 12:53 PM, Leonidas said:

I agree that she's being overlooked, but she is regularly on the Youtube shows.

Same with Ruby Soho. I kind of feel for her more because she got lost in the shuffle much faster.

The women don't get enough tv time, but they get a lot of Dark and Dark Elevation time. Some shows they make up 80%.

Speaking of, where's the Bunny? Butcher and Blade have been in action without her, and Penelope came back recently so Allie is even more conspicuous by her absence.

6 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Speaking of, where's the Bunny? Butcher and Blade have been in action without her, and Penelope came back recently so Allie is even more conspicuous by her absence.

She might be better now, but towards the end of June she tweeted that she was currently injured. She's also had mental health issues during her run in AEW, with anxiety and imposter syndrome (she talked about it on Unrestricted).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

I agree that she's being overlooked, but she is regularly on the Youtube shows.

Same with Ruby Soho. I kind of feel for her more because she got lost in the shuffle much faster.

The women don't get enough tv time, but they get a lot of Dark and Dark Elevation time. Some shows they make up 80%.

Bunny came down with them when there was the Royal Rampage and for their tag match the week after but I think she's on the shelf in general too.

I know these "open the floodgates" type of speculative fantasy booking questions are lame (but FUN) and so I ask: 

With WWE once again being the "hot promotion" and Cody's defection inspiring some faith in the company's new direction;

1) Are there any major WWE names you could still see heading to AEW in the foreseeable future?

2) Regardless of likelihood, who from WWE do you think would be the best fit/have the most to offer? Any you would like to see jump to AEW just for the hell of it and a get fresh coat of paint? 

I was really hoping Mustafa Ali would make the switch back when he was asking for his release. I could see him having a huge amount of growth in a short amount of time working with dudes like Danielson and Moxley, and he's got that "nice guy" likeableness that seems wasted in the more cynical WWE milieu. 

28 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I know these "open the floodgates" type of speculative fantasy booking questions are lame (but FUN) and so I ask: 

With WWE once again being the "hot promotion" and Cody's defection inspiring some faith in the company's new direction;

1) Are there any major WWE names you could still see heading to AEW in the foreseeable future?

2) Regardless of likelihood, who from WWE do you think would be the best fit/have the most to offer? Any you would like to see jump to AEW just for the hell of it and a get fresh coat of paint? 

I was really hoping Mustafa Ali would make the switch back when he was asking for his release. I could see him having a huge amount of growth in a short amount of time working with dudes like Danielson and Moxley, and he's got that "nice guy" likeableness that seems wasted in the more cynical WWE milieu. 

Ali is at the top of my list. Ricochet, although he seems less likely now. I'd be willing to bet The Viking Raiders are dying to be War Machine again. Rod Strong. I still think Finn Balor will give AEW a shot before he retires. Nikki Cross seems the most likely of the women, given her current booking & the fact that her husband is traveling the countryside as a marauding monster. Shelton Benjamin is probably a safe bet. 

• Like 1