DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 minutes ago, caley said:

Who is it who hated the term "suplex"?! Because I noticed on Smackdown tonight, Michael Cole yelling "German Throw!" so maybe it wasn't a Vince-ism.

German throw sounds like a vulgar term you have to look up on Urban Dictionary.

• Haha 4

WWE Smackdown Women's Championship: Charlotte Flair defeated Carmella (c) and Becky Lynch in a Triple Threat pinning Lynch at SummerSlam 2018. Iconic moment after the match with Becky attacking Charlotte. I still remember cheering in the early hours of the morning. What a pop. The "Yes!" chants and "You deserve it!" to Charlotte Flair was hilarious.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Took a big swing with this, trying to get some acknowledgement from Meltzer, but he doesn't seem to be on Twitter today. Maybe he's not on there during weekends? I don't know.

Anyway, here's a new wrestling crossword!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Took a big swing with this, trying to get some acknowledgement from Meltzer, but he doesn't seem to be on Twitter today. Maybe he's not on there during weekends? I don't know.

15:23. Had a few wrong answers early and it threw everything awry.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

8:56.

3 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

7:03. I fucking love these.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Octopus said:

When any form of quiz based pressure is on me I can’t remember anything. Even in a relaxed environment the moment the timer is on I embarrassingly can’t answer anything.

It's like when I go to order at sushi. I think "this is it, Stefanie, this is the time you're going to get something different", then I panic and order a bunch of tuna nigiri because what is life but a constant fear to break from the norm.

35 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Incidentally I'm going to a sushi place for the very first time in my life tonight as my uncle is in town and I guess he wants to spend my dad's money since that jailbird is broke as a joke. Any recommendations? Menu Selection - Kofusion

I'd say simple is best to start with, in case you have texture issues. Tuna nigiri, for example, is just the slice of fish and rice, sometimes with a little strip of seaweed to hold it together, so it's a very simple thing to start off with. A tuna roll is the same, except it's just five or six pieces of fish wrapped in rice and seaweed.

Of the menu provided, I'd say go with Sushi Combo A, since it's seven nigiris of the chef's choice and a California roll. The California roll is something that can help you determine if more complicated rolls are to your liking (I've found that people who aren't going to like sushi due to texture will immediately stumble at the California roll's texture, and shouldn't go any further), and the nigiri will likely be of basic but easy to work with fare like tuna, salmon, egg, et cetera.

If you're not sure about that, then I'd say get a kitchen item like ramen and a la carte a tuna nigiri or a tuna roll so you can see what it's like.

Oh, and get some edamame. That is delicious.

Edited by Stefanie Without Stefanie

33 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've had grocery store sushi so I'm about as familiar with actual sushi as I would eating out of a dump truck but I don't think taste or texture will be an issue, I'm pretty open. Having actual ramen sounds good too. We'll see how far we can stretch this. 

Yeah, grocery store sushi is not an indicator of actual sushi, lol. I'd still say go with my recommendation so you can see what you like (plus most sushi chefs tend to give you better attention/care by leaving the choice to them if they're traditionally trained; the best sushi experience I ever had was going omakase when I was in Japan), but I also like practically all Japanese food so a nice bowl of ramen is good too.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Incidentally I'm going to a sushi place for the very first time in my life tonight as my uncle is in town and I guess he wants to spend my dad's money since that jailbird is broke as a joke. Any recommendations? Menu Selection - Kofusion

You're best going with any roll featuring a tempura fried whatever. Scorpion / Dragon rolls are pretty ubiquitous across sushi joints and are always a crowd pleaser. 

Unagi is delicious- but for a rookie might be too strong of flavor. 

If you want to do raw then go with basic stuff like anything tuna related- Hamachi, ahi, otoro, etc. Pretty mild flavor with a cold steak like texture. If you want to expand try a scallop.

• Like 1

California rolls are such a safe choice.

Ebi nigiri is, too.

Looked at the menu, and now I want that Ora roll so badly. Great. THANKS A LOT.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I've had grocery store sushi so I'm about as familiar with actual sushi as I would eating out of a dump truck but I don't think taste or texture will be an issue, I'm pretty open. Having actual ramen sounds good too. We'll see how far we can stretch this. 

I’ve eaten sushi from a lot of different places at a variety of price points, and I still fuck with grocery store sushi big time. The only place I’ve ever stopped myself from getting the sushi was at a hospital cafeteria and it was only because I was a new parent and it felt like the responsible thing to do. 

• Haha 2

Ha! I had an unfortunate hospital visit recently (things are fine now, relatively speaking) and not only was the food gratis it was off the hook. I got an omelet bigger than my head. 

A friend of mine happens to work out there and she told me from hot side their stir fry, bi bim bap, and the Korean fried chicken, and from sushi the creamy fried shrimp roll and the Volcano roll. I'm probably gonna get chef's choice roll and a bowl of miso for an app. The ramen is tempting too but I'm not trying to make us miss a mortgage payment or anything.

• Like 3

Korean food is great. Get some japchae and spicy Korean ramen, maybe some pickled daikon. 

I feel like your protein-obsessed pro wrestlers, your Warriors and Warlords and Rybacks and such, would have really benefited from more Korean casual joints being open in the U.S. in their days. Bi bim bap is a protein fiend's dream. 

Gonna be honest, I didn't even bat an eye at those prices on the menu. Living in the Seattle area really is a different experience, I guess. Y'all Midwesterners who aren't from Chicago or Minneapolis would keel over from sticker shock if you went out to eat here. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Gonna be honest, I didn't even bat an eye at those prices on the menu. Living in the Seattle area really is a different experience, I guess. Y'all Midwesterners who aren't from Chicago or Minneapolis would keel over from sticker shock if you went out to eat here. 

Seconded, I'm in the northeast and I thought everything was exceedingly fairly priced. I'll choke down a spicy tuna roll if I have to (back when I was single, it honestly seemed like every woman between the ages of 19 and 40 ate only sushi) but overall I'm not a big seafood fan; I'd have 100% gone for the ribeye here, that sounded really good

• Like 1

Shit, I really want some Korean BBQ too but I ate a steak sandwich yesterday. We'll probably get chicken for the table. Plans will probably change as soon as I get ahold of an actual menu...

Food out anywhere seems egregiously priced to me. Buying a gyro with a drink and fries shouldn't be over ten dollars. So, this is an opportunity I'm not gonna look down my nose at. (The real question is what to have from here because it's where I want to go for my birthday: Golden Harbor Menus Champaign, IL | Order Online (goldenharboronline.com)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Seconded, I'm in the northeast and I thought everything was exceedingly fairly priced. I'll choke down a spicy tuna roll if I have to (back when I was single, it honestly seemed like every woman between the ages of 19 and 40 ate only sushi) but overall I'm not a big seafood fan; I'd have 100% gone for the ribeye here, that sounded really good

The like is for agreeing with me about the prices, not for your inexcusable antipathy toward the greatest of all foods, those from the sea. ? 

• Haha 2