DVDVR Message Board

August 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, caley said:

"The New World ODOR"

my least favorite Larry line was his overused "the human game of chess". as opposed to what, the horse game of chess?

48 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

Also, when I was a kid, I always assumed Zbyszko being called "the living legend" was a semi-sarcastic heelish self-selected title, like Bobby Heenan being called "The Brain." Had no idea he was anybody other than an announcer for ages.

same here. i had never seen nor heard of him when i started watching WCW, so i assumed he was just some old blowhard. he may have been a former wrestler, but i think i was still right. 

I was too young for Zbyszko/Sammartino, but a very young Smelly was into his near-death AWA Champ run.

Mostly because he would cut interviews in front of a Larryland background, which was a somewhat intricate airbrushing of an amusement park that I loved looking at when he'd cut promos.

• Like 1

I'm old, so I saw Larry a lot in the AWA, and read all about him in the mags. Also, the first Best of the WWF videotapes had the turn on Bruno and the Shea cage match. Larry being called the "Living Legend" was at first a heel thing to mock Bruno. By the time Nitro came around the moniker became "official ", which always bumped me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Maybe this topic has been beaten to death or is better suited to the WWE thread, but now here we are at 700(?) days of Roman Reigns's Reign -- who takes the belt off him? Let's assume, barring injury, it's probably at Wrestlemania. The Rock? Rollins? Those both feel a little bit like a dead end. Cody probably makes the most sense, but that's assuming he's good to go by the Rumble, and he really hasn't had enough time to see if his whole thing is gonna stick. There's not a lot of viable contenders. Even in terms of an underdog getting a flash pin, who's even close to that spot? I feel like Riddle is over enough, but that still feels kind of unsatisfying. I know this is fantasy booking and a lot is bound to change with HHH at the helm, but it's not something I have any kind of obvious answer to.

Guys I would pick (ranked in order from possibilities to pipe dreams)

-Big E. - Obviously, he'd have to be healthy enough to wrestle, but I think the storyline and reaction would be through the roof for him.

-Cody - Don't see any reason why his momentum will have dimished too much by WM, especially with the extra few past months off to build the anticipation to his return.

-Sami Zayn - A few months of build-up of Sami being the Bloodline's "bitch" to Sami standing up to Roman would probably be off-the-charts for when he finally stands up to them. The problem being that Sami has been such a better heel in the main roster than he was a face.

-Omos - Is he ready? God, no. But it would be a great spectacle for him to steamroll the entire Bloodline.

-AJ Styles - He's a good enough wrestler, and popular enough with the casual and hardcore fans that they wouldn't immediately shit on it. 

-Montez- I think he's about a good year out from whenever they break up the Profits to him being in the main event

-Bron Breakker (Sp.?) - Would be a great pop and rocket strapped to his back to put him in this spot. Promo-wise, I don't think he could carry it. But Bron with the Steiner Brothers backing him up to take down Roman and the Usos would be amazing.

-Solo Sikoa: He's really good and an intense wrestler and promo, am loving his NXT run and a storyline of Roman showing up in NXT to recruit and bring in Sikoa to be a heater for his group, only for Sikoa to immediately stand up to the Bloodline would be great TV.  Bonus points if they bring in Jacob Fatu to watch his back, super extra bonus points for them to bring in The Rock to coach him. That said, WWE has yet to put any NXT title on Sikoa yet much less have confidence in a main roster run, so this really does fit under pipedream.

• Like 5

Cody is the only one that really makes sense to dethrone Roman. He's fresh, got the star power, and already looks like a tough SOB. No reason to mess with the classic formula of winning the Rumble and winning at Mania.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, caley said:

Guys I would pick (ranked in order from possibilities to pipe dreams)

-Big E. - Obviously, he'd have to be healthy enough to wrestle, but I think the storyline and reaction would be through the roof for him.

-Solo Sikoa: He's really good and an intense wrestler and promo, am loving his NXT run and a storyline of Roman showing up in NXT to recruit and bring in Sikoa to be a heater for his group, only for Sikoa to immediately stand up to the Bloodline would be great TV.  Bonus points if they bring in Jacob Fatu to watch his back, super extra bonus points for them to bring in The Rock to coach him. That said, WWE has yet to put any NXT title on Sikoa yet much less have confidence in a main roster run, so this really does fit under pipedream.

Big E - perfect choice, as you stated.

SS - I don't watch me no Titan, but I was even thinking one of the Usos (the not DUI one, hopefully) would work if they started in on it now - heel up RR some more and bring in Sika and/or Afa to say that Reigns is letting them down - but this kid sounds great. Anything that would get Jacob F a good payday and more exposure is fuggin' aces in RAF's book.

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Cody is the only one that really makes sense to dethrone Roman. He's fresh, got the star power, and already looks like a tough SOB. No reason to mess with the classic formula of winning the Rumble and winning at Mania.

Cody Rhodes is definitely my #1 pick then Drew McIntyre.

HHH should honestly be salivating at the fact that Cody is out with an injury and is prime for one of the biggest comebacks ever. I'm sure HHH is probably watching these videos on repeat while envisioning the business they'll do after Cody beats Roman at WM:

HHH / Beautiful Day by U2

Angle / Clocks by Coldplay

EDIT: Age restricted?! Fucking dumb.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Big E - perfect choice, as you stated.

SS - I don't watch me no Titan, but I was even thinking one of the Usos (the not DUI one, hopefully) would work if they started in on it now - heel up RR some more and bring in Sika and/or Afa to say that Reigns is letting them down - but this kid sounds great. Anything that would get Jacob F a good payday and more exposure is fuggin' aces in RAF's book.

When Roman first turned heel, they did an angle with one of the USO’s (Jey?) challenging him about letting down the family.  Jey (?) seemed like he was getting over huge as a babyface, but the payoff was that Jey lost a match and had to become Roman’s flunkie.  They did a few weeks of Jey reluctantly attacking people on Roman’s behalf then freaking out about it afterwards.  Then Jey and Jimmy just became Roman’s backup and the ambivalent heel thing was dropped for good.  

it still seems like a missed opportunity to me.  Jey seemed like he was getting over, though this was the Battledome era of the pandemic so it was hard to tell.  Meltzer did say Roman and the Usos don’t really want to feud with each other.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I'd go with Drew,  give him his Davey Boy SummerSlam 92 Moment and have him end the UK PPV with the WWE title. I'm sure they'll have a classic. Then like Drew continue as the top Champ of Raw

I think Drew will win at the UK PPV. No reason for him not too. However, I don’t think he’ll have it for long and they’ll switch it back to Roman at either Extreme Rules or the Saudi show. That way, we still get Roman vs Cody at Mania (presuming Cody wins the Rumble).

Or, alternatively, Drew could hold it until Mania and we get Drew vs Cody at Mania (again, presuming Cody wins the Rumble) if they’re still going for the Roman vs Rock match.

i rewatched "All In" the other night. what an insane shift the wrestling world has gone through in the last 4 years. if you would have predicted even 1/4 of what's happened, you would have been laughed off into oblivion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Still one of my favorite moments ever.

Crazy coincidence that 2 of WCW's most iconic title changes happened in the same week (5 years apart...but you know what I'm saying), Simmons beating Vader and Luger beating Hollywood.

• Like 2