DVDVR Message Board

ROH Death Before Dishonor 2022 - 23 July 2022

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Tully Blanchard Enterprises has been sold, we've got The Embassy now

Wonder what’s up there. They just put out a t-shirt for Blanchard Enterprises, didn’t they?

• Like 1

Oh man, Colt Cabana is so fucking awesome when he doesn't fuck around.  That was fucking great.  Anthony Henry is having a good week losing- looking great against Konosuke Takeshita and now losing against Colt Cabana. SO the Trustbusters are the Best Friends of ROH- two guys who can work and have a good match.  Slim J is fucking awesome.  Eli Isom DOES remind one of Bandido.  So Tully Blanchard said No Vince, No me?  Prince Nana suddenly showing up HAS to excite Pete Stein and Rev Ray. Tony Deppen looks great.  They fuck up a thousand things with Alex Zayne.  They save they're bacon by hitting a bunch of Nouvelle Road Warrior things.  Things come unglued when Blake Christian makes the hot tag and they hit some fucking GREAT dives. This became really great.  Brian Cage's finisher was a little anti-climatic but Teppen, Zayne and Christian are a trio they really need to keep around.  They madee this match really good.   Awesome!  It's Allisyn Kay!  She'll lay it in.  Willow Nightingale is more AEW than ROH.  She does have babyface FIRE!  Alisyn Kay IS the Super Destroyer- she doesn't need to cheat, people hate her because she's good and she knows it.  Nice Lariat by Willow!  Willow is OVER in Lowell!   It gets kind of awkward and weird.  Willow kicks out of Kay's Big Bang Theory.   Willow with THE POUNCE!  Willow hits a SWEET High Angle Tiger Driver!  That was a wreck but the finish was good.  ON TO THE PPV!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’m trying to think of a reason Gresham should go over in the title match and I got nothing.

I like the idea of ROH establishing their own champs rather than "AEW Guys".

I also dream of a long term story involving Eddie Kingston & Claudio racing each other to win their first World Title.

FYZBiNxaQAAhN-V?format=jpg&name=large

I got choked up seeing Claudio Castagnoli win his first world title, the Ring of Honour World Championship as a fan of his since 2010. One of the best to ever do it who should have been a multi time world champion in WWE with the Cesaro Section, support of Steve Austin/Mick Foley but that didn't matter to the senile old man in charge. Fuck you, Vince McMahon. My last live show I watched Cesaro vs. WALTER in a true dream match which delivered and then some. Congratulations, Claudio Castagnoli!

• Like 9

BOW PESANTS, YOUR PRINCE HAS RETURNED!

I do wonder what that whole deal with him being around seconding Gresham for the match and it went nowhere, that we've seen.  

Other than the first 2 matches being "Get belts onto contracted guys", the show was really good.  And Yes please to FTR/BCC.

• Like 4

They come in HOT!  Claudio will slaughter Gresham early! Ian Ricciboni, Caprice Coleman and Lord Regal is the BEST commentary grouping in all of wrestling.  Gresham loses to Claudio's power, culminating in a twenty-ish rotation Giant Swing.  Gresham goes after Claudio's knee.  Claudio sells the knee like champ the whole match.  Gresham hits an EVEREST GERMAN SUPLEX! For two?  Claudio hits a NASTY Ricolla Driver and WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION!  Brian Danielson has to do the Arn Anderson "I FEEL NEKKID!" speech now that everyone else has a belt. DANIELSON VERSUS WARDLOW!  OR DANIELSON VERSUS RICKY STARK!  OR DANIELSON VS PAC!  OR DANIELSON VS JAY WHITE!  OR DANIELSON VS SAMOA JOE!  OR... who is the AAA champion?  Allright!  There are extra boys!  Hey!  Dalton Castle IS Mei Suruga!  Nice Exploider by Castle on Bateman.  Nice Exploider by Dutch!  Boy 2 is our face in peril.  Dalton wakes up the crowd by throwing the Boys into the Righteous a thousand times.  This really heats up when Dutch hits a fucking GREAT Fat Boy Cannonball Tope.  This got waaay fun.  Bang-A-Rang!  We have NEW CHAMPIONS!  ROH should just have six man matches.  It's Daniel Garcia versus Wheeler Yuta!  Garcia is AWESOME wanting to win the title so he can take it AEW and destroy it!  Jonathan Gresham needs to win this belt eventually.  Garcia is so fucking awesome.  I love that Garcia works on Yuta's EAR!   This match is fucking great.  MAN!  This match is FUCKING GREAT!  Yuta uses the roll-up that Chuck Taylor taught him FOR THE PIN!  So fucking good.  Garcia flipping off the ROH sign is SOOOOO fucking great.  Man, that was sooo fucking good.  MOTHERFUCKING DRAGON LEE!  YESSSSsss!  This should be great.  How long before Rush loses it?  It doesn't take long.  Maaan, Rush is fucking great.   DRAGONLEE WITH THE TOPE THROUGH RUSH THROUGH A TABLE!  Maaan, DRAGON LEE IS SO FUCKING GREAT.  They start beating the shit out of each other.  THIS MATCH IS FUCKING GREAT.   HO-LEE SHIT!  Rush RELEASED BELLY TO BELLY SUPLEXES HIS BROTHER FROM THE APRON TO THE FLOOR!  FRANKENSTEINER TO THE FLOOR BY DRAGON LEE TO HIS OWN MOTHERFUCKING BROTHER!  This is fucking GREAT.  They do a great 19 count.  Rush fucking annihilates Dragon Lee by suplexing him into the corner.  Dragon Lee kicks out of Rush's finisher!  Rush kicks out of Dragon Lee's finisher!   BULL' S HORNS!  RUSH WINS!  That was fucking GREAT.  So that's two 5 star matches so far.  Oh man.  Serena Deeb and Merecedes Martinez have to follow THAT.  I guess it's good they do a methodical match so the crowd can catch it's breath.  This match is good.  All I can think about is Rush and Dragon Lee beating the hell out of each other.  Nice Spear to the apron by Deeb.  Serena is OVER in Lowell.  Serena Deeb IS Arn Anderson.  Cool Spider Suplex sequence.  So Lowell has the best crowd in the Northeast.  Mercedes finally hits the Spider Suplex and Deeb is folded up like a napkin!  Crowd goes up for the Serenity Lock!  Mercedes escapes!  The crowd REALLY want Deeb to win this. Mercedes hits a Razor's Edge variation for two.  Mercedes makes Deeb tap and the crowd doesn't turn on the match!  Lowell is the best crowd in the NORTH!  THAT MATCH was really good.  Oh man!  Samoa Joe will lay it in.  Jay Lethal will TOTALLY fucking lean into Joe fucking killing him.  Jesus, Samoa Joe is 3/4 legit!  Satnam and Lethal ruin Joe's shoulder!  SATNAM IS KICKED OUT AND THE ACTUAL MATCH STARTS!  Joe is so fucking great on offense.  He is very much Stan Hansen- except he can actually see two feet in front of himself. Joe is a refrigerator thrown out of a helicopter hitting a tope on Lethal!  Power Slam of the YEAR by Joe!  Nice toprope leg lariat by Joe.  Joe kicks out of the Lethal Injection!  Joe kicks out of Sanjay Dutt fuckery!  Joe with a Sleeper!  Lethal taps!  Joe retains!  THAT was good.  The Briscoes STILL don't come out to GIMME BACK MY BULLETS!  What the FUCK!  FTR is coming out and I can honestly say this is already worth the 40 clams I shelled out.  This match is just gravy.  Oh man, this is going long.  This is a whole different dynamic from the first match- what with the face turn by FTR.  Cash Wheeler starts heating this up by ending a chopping session with a Backdrop Driver.  Cash Wheeler becomes our Face in Peril!  Dasx makes the HOT TAG!  GREAT FUCKING LARIAT ON MARK BY CASH ON THE APRON!  DAX hitws his head on the Ringpost flying over the turnbuckle!  DOOMSDAY DEVICE BY THE BRISCOES!  FIRST FALL FOR THE BRISCOES! Jay and Dax are fucking MAGIC in the ring together.  Dax selling the Doomsday Device is fucking great.  Jay is beating the living dogshit out of Dax.  Dax is bleeding FROM HIS CHEST!  Oh man,  the Briscoes are the Best Version Of The Midnight Express EVER by cutting off the ring.  Harwood fucking KILLS Jay with a TOPROPE BACKDROP DRIVER!  This is fucking great.  Mark pulls Cash off the apron before Dax can make the tag!  Redneck Boogie and DAX KICKS OUT!  I'm trying to think if there has ever been a face in peril heat segment better than this.  Harwood is TRIPLE Steamboat in this.  DAx FINALLY makes the tag!  CAsh hits fucking BEAUTIFUL Brainbuster for two!  Gory Special for two!  They take it to the crowd and this becomes COMPLETELY AWESOME!  Jay hits Cash with the BELL!  FOR TWO!  Okay, this match is now better than the first one.  Notice they completely flipped the psychology of the match as the Briscoes are wrestling completely heel and FTR is the face- as opposed to the first match, where FTR were complete heels.  FTR hits the Big Rig and FTR takes the secoind fall!  Maaaan,  Cash and Mark are beating the fuck out of each other.  Mark and Dax are now beating the living fuck out of each other.  Mark hits a Blockbuster off the apron on Dax!  This is going BROADWAY.  It has to.  An awkward ref bump.  Visual pin on a J Driller.  Visual Pin on a Big Rig!  Jay kicks out at SEVEN!  Cash makes the save on another Doomsday Device!  This match was better than the first match and then the ref bump happened and it settled into being not quite as good as the first match.  Cash drives Mark from the top through a table!  It is now Jay versus Dax from here on out, it looks like.  SECOND ROPE PILEDRIVER BY DAX ON JAYFOR THE WIN!  That was fucking great.  Should have gone BROADWAY.  Almost as good as the first one.  It was was better at points.  It was waaaay fucking stiffer.  That WAS fucking great. What a great fucking PPV.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 Star FTR?!?!?

Fun night of wrestling.

Honestly, wouldn’t have minded if they had Deeb go over, she seems to have a home in ROH. Garcia-Yuta was fun and I would’ve been fine with another 5-10 minutes. Truly expected Lethal to win, don’t know that Joe is more than a special attraction at this point. 

• Like 3

The preshow matches were all decent. I'm a big fan of Deppen, Christian, and Zayne and wouldn't mind seeing any of them regularly in ROH although they're all in pretty high demand across the indies. Willow Nightengale and Allison Kay probably looked the most impressive out of the bunch. It was also nice to see Prince Nana back.

I was wondering how the large height differential would play out in the Claudio/Gresham match but they worked really smart. Lots of good ground game and legwork by Gresham and excellent strikes and counter-wrestling by Claudio. Putting this on first was a good choice as it drew fans in and would not have been as well received after the tag titles match. It seemed relatively short though.

The Boys have gotten quite a bit better since the last time I saw them wrestle. I'm still not sure if them going over was a good choice here as The Righteous were really starting to click before ROH shut down. Speaking of improvement, Dutch was just kind of a generic bigman heater when I last saw him, but he looked a lot better tonight.

For as long as they've done the Pure Title rules I've never really gotten into it as it felt overly gimmicky for some reason, but I realize the point of them having unique rules to differentiate the title. That said, this match delivered just as I thought it would. Both guys put on technical clinics while also peppering in lots of intensity.

Fun, fast-paced stuff from Rush and Dragon Lee. I know there's a lot of politics involved with all the lucha guys, but I hope to see some more of LFI in AEW.

Deeb/Martinez was just as good a technical clinic as the Pure Title match. I think Deeb is one of the best Ameircan female wrestlers out there now.

I wasn't that into Joe/Lethal but it was fine. That has to be one of the few times I've seen the Lethal Injection hit where it didn't look overly contrived. I'm glad Joe won even though I'd rather see him as a regular in AEW.

"Motherfucker I love professional wrestling"
That's about all you can say about the match. No elaborate angles, just two teams at the top of their games just trying to see who's better. Everything built and made sense. The callback of FTR grabbing eachother's hands when they were in submissions like in the DIY matches, Dax hitting the Arn Anderson DDT spot, Jay repeatedly going for the J Driller, just so much good stuff here. For a while I thought they were going to go the full 60 and end up a draw, but no. There's still five months to go in 2022 but this is going to be MOTY.

I want to see a Dax/Jay singles match as well as FTR/Bryan & Mox in a "can an elite tag team beat two top level singles guys?" match.

Ian and Caprice have always been great on commentary but maybe it's from hearing such a mixed bag in AEW for a long time but the two of them really shone through here. Excellent show from top to bottom. If ROH can get regular TV and events going again and further distance themselves from AEW they'll be a top promotion again.

• Like 5

On 7/22/2022 at 12:49 PM, The Natural said:

If Death Before Dishonour delivers as it should, it'll be a contender to AEW Revolution and AEW X NJPW Forbidden Door for Card of the Year.

This might have taken over FD as my show of the year.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This might have taken over FD as my show of the year.

I'd put this as my best PPV of the year so far as it didn't have near as much filler as the AEW PPVs have had. The main card was a tight three hours and didn't have any pacing issues.

• Like 3

I am physically exhausted from watching that show tonight. It was that good. 

I'm glad Claudio won. He'll be a great and deserving champion.

Martinez vs Deeb was my second favorite match of the night. 

Nothing is topping FTR Vs The Briscoes. Legit match of the year right there. 

• Like 5

Just now, Phantom Lord said:

Nothing is topping FTR Vs The Briscoes. Legit match of the year right there. 

If not for the main Garcia/Yuta would have easily been MOTN. That was just exquisite with Regal being a true delight on commentary. 

• Like 4

Just now, NikoBaltimore said:

If not for the main Garcia/Yuta would have easily been MOTN. That was just exquisite with Regal being a true delight on commentary. 

William Regal can do it all: face, heel, promos, commentator, authority figure, comedy, seriousness, manager. WWE were so fucking stupid to release William Regal. When Regal's available, he's an immediate hire.

• Like 6