DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

imagine being The Yankees and yet with all the legendary broadcasting voices that have accentuated and continue to accentuate the beauty and the prestige of the sport, and with how all in every other aspect of the rich history of the sport The Yankees are so integral to it that you literally cannot tell the story of baseball without singing the praises of the franchise, somehow, the best you can do in the broadcast booth is Jon Sterling.

My understanding of the Sterling situation is that basically everyone in the organization knows he is abjectly awful and Suzyn only makes him worse.  

The only people who like him and want him to stay are the ones named "Steinbrenner". (George, as I recall, absolutely loved him. But of course, he last heard him 12 years ago.) 

So, he'll have to be carried out of the stadium feet first before he is ever fired.  

• Thanks 1

Jayson Stark has an article on The Athletic that is a little over the top (not surprisingly) with ALL INFIELDS AREN'T THE SAME!! OMG!!! HOW DID NO ONE NOTICE!!!! when pretty much everyone knew this.

But long story short - due to the new rule changes, MLB is planning on enforcing how infields are maintained

So here is how MLB is about to start dealing with that dirty little secret:
• Let’s start with the rule itself. It says the outer edge of the infield dirt is supposed to extend no more than 95 feet from the center of the pitcher’s mound. OK, good to know.
• So MLB now does plan to enforce that rule, beginning next season. That makes sense.
• But it does not plan to enforce the rule literally, according to sources. It will allow up to a foot of leeway in either direction, to account for what one source described as groundskeeping “error.” So it’s still possible the back edge of the dirt in various parks could extend anywhere from 94 to 96 feet from the center of the mound.

So in the article an AL executive immediately says "Everyone is going to "err" on the larger side"

Also from the article  - MLB recently measured all 30 parks, only one park was found in violation (but was not named)

56 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Jayson Stark has an article on The Athletic that is a little over the top (not surprisingly) with ALL INFIELDS AREN'T THE SAME!! OMG!!! HOW DID NO ONE NOTICE!!!! when pretty much everyone knew this.

But long story short - due to the new rule changes, MLB is planning on enforcing how infields are maintained

So in the article an AL executive immediately says "Everyone is going to "err" on the larger side"

Also from the article  - MLB recently measured all 30 parks, only one park was found in violation (but was not named)

It's not just baseball, but with most forms of entertainment, the more money that gets involved, the more the fun little "unique" things about that entertainment get sanded away. Personally, I've always felt that baseball having unique and non-uniform fields was a plus. Something cool that set it apart from other sports.

• Like 3

Shows how little we pay attention to the infields when I can probably name all the stadiums with Outfield dimension exceptions but the only thing about the infields are the 2-3 stadiums that have the dirt strip from the mound to the plate.  I couldn't even venture a guess as to what field has a too-big infield.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wonder what MLB would have done if they tried to put this rule change in when you had stadiums that didn't have infield dirt.

Remember - Rogers Centre didn't have dirt until like 2016

A borderline with the same perimeter of a dirt infield:

4c5vk8nipwh41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Hamhock

2 hours ago, Log said:

It's not just baseball, but with most forms of entertainment, the more money that gets involved, the more the fun little "unique" things about that entertainment get sanded away. Personally, I've always felt that baseball having unique and non-uniform fields was a plus. Something cool that set it apart from other sports.

Oakland's massive expanse of foul territory will always be beautiful to me (and it's potential as a tactical advantage is severely underestimated)

• Like 3

On 9/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, Travis Sheldon said:

A good friend of mine was from New York, but he was a Pirates fan.

His nostalgia for Sterling's voice made him tune into satellite radio to the Yankees broadcast because he could not live without Sterling's stellar calls.

There was a woman that would come on for a few innings that was just as cringe inducing (to me).

I would rather listen to Harry Carey's worst on repeat than listen to Sterling.

Hell, Joe Nuxhall was more coherent than Sterling.

Sometimes I just think about this, randomly, for no reason.

9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Sometimes I just think about this, randomly, for no reason.

That had to be the basis for Will Ferrell's impression of Caray.

An aside, a college friend of mine attended the game where they unveiled the statue of Caray (seen at 1:36 in this video). He got very drunk during the game, as one does at a Cubs game. Afterward, a local news station was getting fan reaction to the statue. He got stopped and asked what he though of it and responded with, "Well, it looks like Harry getting sucked into Hell."  He didn't make it on the news that evening.

• Haha 2

On 9/15/2022 at 8:05 AM, RIPPA said:

wonder if that parks name rhymes with Benway (to be fair, I think the unofficial policy is that anybody trying to measure Fenway is accosted before they find the truth about the length to LF)

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Surprised the Fun Police don't protest this being hazing or bullying. 

At least it's not football teams trying to stick low paid rookies with $15k dinner bills.