DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2022 - 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

If the Padres make the playoffs, those games count toward the suspension so it would reduce how many games he misses next season

just remembered this story from 2014 (when suspended players could play in the postseason post-suspension):

Spoiler

Suspended slugger Chris Davis won't be playing in the AL Championship Series for the Baltimore Orioles.

Manager Buck Showalter said Thursday that Davis will be omitted from the 25-man roster, which must be submitted on Friday morning before the Orioles host the Kansas City Royals in Game 1.

Davis was suspended for 25 games by Major League Baseball on Sept. 12 for testing positive for Adderall, a banned amphetamine.

His suspension included the final 17 games of the regular season and Baltimore's three-game sweep of Detroit in the AL Division Series, meaning the first baseman has five games left to serve.

"We're not going to play with 24 for five games," Showalter said.

The only way Davis could play if the ALCS reaches six games is if he replaces an injured teammate on the roster.

and as it turned out, the ALCS went 4 games and Davis was suspended for the first game of 2015.

So there's a good non-integrity of the game reason to bar players from the postseason in the year of their suspension, it would intentionally incentivize making your postseason series last longer if you could get a player back at some point in the postseason

On 8/12/2022 at 10:32 PM, odessasteps said:

Also, if you are a professional athlete, and you have a team doctor, I don’t know if I would take any thing with a prescription without them signing off on them. And least then you have plausible deniability and or a scape goat.

We're talking about the guy who said "which one?" in response to being asked about the motorcycle accident that broke his wrist.  I'm guessing deep thinking and listening to good advisors are not his strongest suits.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Passan jinxed it.  @DEAN's cousin Drew Rasmussen  lost the perfect game in the 9th. 

The spoiled little bastard deserved it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Vinnie Pasquantino also had 14 hits and 4 homers over an 11 game homestand. On checking his Wikipedia, I already knew he was from Richmond, VA but I just found out he was a high school grad from Midlothian (James River HS)

He was born 5 months after the infamous Midlothian Middle School card. Which is the only reason why I just mentioned Midlothian.

Anyways, I was at the Friday & Sunday Dodgers/Royals games and Dodger fans really didn't seem as annoying as the annual Cardinals/Yankees series here, or even the Cubs series. I suspect most of the Dodger fans at the games are exiles from California who ended up in the midwest and it was the first time the Dodgers played in KC since 2014. Now, if they're putting the Dodgers in KC every other year with the impending schedule change, maybe my impression would change.

• Haha 1

The one upside of the Yanks having zero offense now that isn't named Aaron Judge - the games are way quicker

Last night's Red Sox/Yanks game last only 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was the shortest game between the two teams since 1994

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Lawl.

When Manny Machado is calling you out or dismissing you, you probably need to seriously rethink your life choices. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Italian Nightmare is winning out over Italian Breakfast* for the Vinnie Pasquantino nickname. Also he's the AL POTY (this is my last Vinnie post for the moment)

(* - short story is that back in 2011, the Royals had a game in Boston that had a rain delay and went deep into the night and Fox Sports KC didn't account for that and flipped from the game to an episode of Round Up Streetball so Royals fans were figuring out Streetball nicknames for various Royals and one of them dubbed Billy Butler "Country Breakfast" (which makes sense if you've seen Billy Butler).. so when Vinnie was coming up, someone tried dubbing him "Italian Breakfast" which is technically a phrase that makes no sense)

Italian Nightmare sounds like a guy who would have shown up in a wrestling territory in 1983

• Haha 1

At this point, they've just got to have raised the white flag on this season and are just trying to get to the end of September without soiling themselves.  

It's going to be amazing when they hire Mattingly in the offseason. 

Also from that 9th inning

The ninth inning also included plate umpire Laz Diaz losing track of the count on Carlos Santana's at-bat. Instead of it being 2-2, Diaz changed the count to 3-1.

"Yeah. I messed that one up," Diaz said in a pool report.

After the fourth pitch, Santana asked him if he was at 3-1: "I said, no it's 2-2. Then I started thinking, maybe it is 3-1, because I forgot I called that first pitch a strike," Diaz said. "There were so many pitches going on, I lost the count on that first pitch. I knew I called a strike on the steal, and that's the only one I remembered. I couldn't remember the one before that.''

Diaz said the Angels could have challenged the revised count but didn't.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Also from that 9th inning

Here's the video:

I'd say the haul the Angels are going to get from trading Ohtani is going to be ungodly.  But... this is Anaheim.  They'll probably trade him to the Mets for a box of stale bagels and a tour of LaGuardia Airport. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'd say the haul the Angels are going to get from trading Ohtani is going to be ungodly.  But... this is Anaheim.  They'll probably trade him to the Mets for a box of stale bagels and a tour of LaGuardia Airport. 

They aren't going to trade him because Arte Moreno has decided he isn't gonna trade him. That is why the rumors at the trade deadline just stopped.

Now they might be able to convince Moreno to change his mind but I don't see that happening

(The caveat here is that the report - which came via Jon Heyman - is that Moreno didn't want to trade Ohtani because Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon were out injured. So theoretically, if everyone was healthy, then a trade might happen. But Trout and Rendon will also never be healthy.)

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

They aren't going to trade him because Arte Moreno has decided he isn't gonna trade him. That is why the rumors at the trade deadline just stopped.

Now they might be able to convince Moreno to change his mind but I don't see that happening

Well, someone's going to have to talk to Arte then. SO's a FA after '23 and they're going to lose him for nothing since, short of them offering him a literal billion dollar deal, there's no chance in hell he'd re-sign.  

Just because Trout was an idiot and signed a forever plus one day deal, doesn't mean he has to. 

Ohtani is a once in a lifetime player. 

Someone's (read: LAD, NYY, NYM, HOU) is gonna pay him a LOT of money and they're going to be a team that doesn't suck.

Edited by Raziel

That rarest of all birds - an MLB player leaning into a pitch to get hit, getting hit, AND not getting awarded first:

If you can't tell, I 100% think this was the right call. 

Edited by RIPPA
Fixed formatting
  • Like 1

I can see what the umpire saw but it goes against common sense that during a random 3rd inning at bat that a batter's brain would be pre-programmed (since you can't really think that fast) "if this ball is close I'm gonna stick out my leg and get hit by it."

I remember one time as a kid, that Jeff Blauser got hit on the elbow and the umpire didn't let him take first because he didn't try to move out of the way. Blauser kept one of those pads on his arm and tended to stand close to the plate. Anyway if I recall, Cox went ballistic as he tended to do and got tossed, and I still think that baseball players really don't like getting hit by baseballs and unless its Game 7 of the world series they aren't jumping out in front of baseballs flying at them just to get one free base.

• Like 1