DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 7/18 - 7/24/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Bianca Belair takes on Carmella.  Bianca is Vader, but more agile.  Carmella is spunky, beating on Bianca as Bianca struggles to recover from the beat down I fast forwarded over.  Bianca does a great ten punching thing in the corner.  Bianca is awesome.  She is the best possible Lex Luger.  That was good.  Rey Misterio Jr takes on Damien Priest!  Rey takes an assbeating like Rey Misterio will- being one of the greatest babyfaces of all time.  His comeback is filled with BABYFACE FIRE!  Priest takes a Psicosis bump and we are all flooded with good memories.  Priest is good taking Rey's offense.  Great nearfall on Priest kicking the crap out of Rey's skull.  Priest crushes Rey with a Black Tiger Bomb and then postmatch. Dominick joins the Judgement Day!  OR DOES HE?  That was good.  Seth Rollins and Ezekiel wrestle again!  These guys are MAGIC together.  I love that they do a very elaborate head lock segment.  They have a good lowgrade offense match.  Ezekiel has a Steiner's level of offense he moves into.   They have an awkward roll-up but Ezekiel saves it by hitting a nice powerbomb.  Ezekiel is such an eighties throwback but an NWA late 80s throwback.  I love how he is a channeling of Doctor Death.  Ezekiel kicks out of a Superplex.  Seth Rollins beats him again with a curbstomp.  THAT was good.  It's a night of good wrestling.  Future Dark Order member, Angelo Dawkins, is being fed to Omos.  MVP gets Omos disqualified.  That wasn;t very good.  Oh, they are now making it a tag match, adding MVP and Montez Ford.  That could be good,  Omos beats on Dawkins again.  MVP comes in and beats on Dawkins.  Dawkins makes the hot tag and Montez Ford gets stomped by Omos.  Things happen to set up a great one count nearfall on Omos after a Ford Superfly Splash.  The Usos run in and stop Ford from hitting another Superfly Splash and that became a whole bunch of angle.  Omos isn't bad.  He sells pretty well for a big dude.  Theory and AJ Styles wrestle again.  It's a battle of Wrestling Machines.  Theory is Daniel Garcia's style with Sammy Guevara's punchable face.  AJ Styles reminds us that he is still in the match by hitting a giant wad of impressive offense.  Ziggler superkicks Theory and Theory is counted out.  WWE leans on the countout a lot.   Postmatch,  Styles hits a Styles Clash.  That was perfectly fine as we once again have an angle en lieu of a match.  Asuka, Alexa Bliss and Dana Brooke!  Dana Brooke doesn't get on TV much.  I'm guessing she is BORN TO BE PINNED!  But we'll see.  Nikki ASH is ready to be pinned too.  And actually, Doudrop is pretty pinnable.  And Tamina is REALLY BORN TO BE PINNED!  OH! EVERYBODY GETS PINNED! It's the 24/7 run-in!  Asuka taps out Nikki ASH in the actual match!  So we called it.  That was fun.  That was a perfectly fine episode, that was actually more wrestling heavy than it's been in a while.  

• Like 3

Show was pretty much background noise for me. The bits I caught of matches seemed decent enough but nothing really held my full attention. The Miz/Paul segment was alright but nothing special.

• Like 1

I only watched like half of the show. I smell a new t-shirt for Becky with her train inspired tag lines. I wonder if she'll get the old Braun Express entrance too.

Bianca vs. Carmella was pretty good. I don't get the hate Bianca gets from some people either. She's good on the mic and good in the ring. What more could one want. Carmella held her own in this though. It's just we all knew Bianca was winning so she could face Becky.

It's amazing how they killed Judgement Day dead when they took out Edge. They could have kept him in the group. But as we know, the WWE doesnt want us having nice things. I skipped most of this match to watch the Derby. Rey does the best that he can with what he's given.

Zeke vs. Seth might be the match of the week. It was really good. Loved the near falls and Zeke almost scoring the upset after that huge jumping knee. He and Seth have good chemistry together. They should try to keep it going. I'm just waiting for Elrod to show up to complete the three faces of Elias. 

I tuned out after that. 

• Like 1

OMG.  It's literally internet content, why on earth would you cut them off.  

And I don't know who the blonde lady is, but she needs to learn how to mic people in a conversation. Holy god.  How do you get on TV without knowing how to do that?  

EDIT --

• Like 1

I missed Some NXT 2.0 shows.

I guess those tags guys got repackaged with Gacy.

Seems both WWE women tags and NXT women tags will be quietly retired? Oh well. 

Hope Mandy Rose destroys Zoetty Starketty. Cora Jade was robbed.

JD/Grimes was good. Never been fond of JD, but he looks better than I last recall. 

Strong/Kemp was decent. The stuff building to Diamond Mine vs. Tony D. and co. was decent.

Axiom had a nice showcase debut. Still not big on the backstory.

Pretty Deadly vs. Briggs/Jensen was solid.

Cora's explanation of her turn on Roxanne was good. Not fond of the tag titles being dropped in the trash though I did like the rest of the division wanting to beat her ass for it. I presume they return in some manner though I wonder if they maybe just bring back the main belts with the original planned rules before Vince monopolized them for the main roster.

I skipped the JD parts of the segment with Bron. Dug Bron's parts.

Figured GYV were getting repackaged as Gacy's boys. Not sure I like it though it at least gives them something to do. Curious to see where they go with Gacy clearly after Grimes.

The battle royal was decent but nothing super special. I did like how they used Cora. Zoey Stark as a surprise return and victor was neat. Curious to see if she is the one to dethrone Mandy. Feels like Toxic Attraction has been ready to move on and up to the main roster for a few months now so I kind of hope it happens. Would be nice to see things open up a bit more in the women's division beyond them. Would also kind of like seeing them as foils to Liv or Bianca.

Sorry I'm late.  DARK was like three hours long.  Roxanne Perez is such a GREAT babyface.  She's like Jay Youngblood.  Cameron Grimes takes on JD McDonagh.  I am unfamiliar with McDonagh.  I see from cagematch.net that he is an Irish guy who was trained by Finn Balor.  Interesting.  This match is good.  Cameron Grimes is on a hot streak.  McDonagh is all World of Sport nifty.  I loved the leg scissors of Grimes legs through the ropes into a halfcrab.  I've never seen that before.  McDonagh looks really sharp in the picture in picture.  When we return, Grimes goes on offense, but McDonagh cuts him off and works on the knee some more.  This match is great.  Grimes sells a crushed knee like a KING.  Great comeback by Grimes, bashing McDonagh head into the mat.  Great spot where Grimes gets his ruined knee tangled up in the ropes and McDonagh kicks the crap out of his knee and allows McDonagh to hit a Backdrop Driver for the win.  Man, Cameron Grimes is really great.  That was great.  Cora Jade is dressed EMO!  Damon Kemp and Roderick Strong wrestle!  Kemp is fun in a Scott Steiner 91 kind of way.  Roderick Strong is the Christian Cage of NXT.  He brings the veteran presence to the match.  NXT emulates the Steiners like AEW emulates Bret Hart.  The finish was kinda screwy.  Pretty Deadly are fucking great.  YEE-HAW! ROLL TIDE! SADDLE UP!  They look so awesome with the cowhide shirt type thing.  They are SO much more cooler than Briggs and Jensen.  Pretty Deadly are battling it out with the Ass Boys for best sniveling heel  tag team in wrestling.  Pretty Deadly are awesome being so douchey beating on Jensen, our face in peril.  The crowd gets behind the Doofus Jenson's STRUGGLE to escape the many levels higher offense of Pretty Deadly.  Briggs makes the hot tag and they crush each others' midsection with mutual cross body blocks.  Briggs and Jenson hit a TOTAL ELIMINATION after some things having to do with the belts being not used!  That was good.  Wrong team won.  Pretty Deadly should jump to AEW.  It's Axiom!  Hey!  According to cagematch,  that's A-Kid!  Hey!  It's Zoey Stark!  She is second biggest success story out of Championship Wrestling From Hollywood, right behind Max Caster.  Annnnd it's a fucking battle royal.  It was good for a battle royal, I guess.  Tatum Paxley should jump to AEW and join the Baddies.  Nikita Lyons should start her own version of the Baddies.  Stark does her Ode to Eddie Guerrero by doing the fun near self-elimination.  The Cora Jade last second attempt to steal the win was fun.   That was a fun episode.

• Like 3

WWE needs to declare a moratorium on wacky not-eliminations in battle royales.  They’ve kinda run Kofi’s balancing spots on tables and guardrails into the ground, and I thought the spots they had Naomi do in the past few Royal Rumbles were rather contrived.  Wendy Choo escaping elimination by landing on her blanket instead of the mat got a groan from me.  I guess the best way for a heel to avoid elimination would be to put down a couple tarps when the match begins?  They did at least one more not-elimination later, when someone got thrown out and caught by…. someone then thrown back in the ring.  The Kofi and Shelton Benjamin spots were best when they started doing them years ago, but now every Rumble has at least one and they’re staler than agents’ much loved ram-your-own-shoulder-into-the-corner-post spots.

• Like 1

The "you forgot this person was never eliminated" trope needs to die yesterday.

And what the fuck happened to "Axiom"? I swear in the first vignette of his I saw there was no hint of super powers or lucha maskery. Did they add all that at the last minute? What the FUCK is a "math superhero"??? 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dog said:

And what the fuck happened to "Axiom"? I swear in the first vignette of his I saw there was no hint of super powers or lucha maskery. Did they add all that at the last minute? What the FUCK is a "math superhero"??? 

if you can leave the arena and go chill in catering until only one person is left in the ring, why doesn’t everyone do that?

After the first promo, I expected Axion to be some sort of hacker.

59 minutes ago, Dog said:

Mathman.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I guess you can add Zack Gibson to the list of people who should never go completely bald.   I mean he was always bald but the hair on his beard compensated well.  Now it looks someone put his head in a vice and it is stuck when he is facing you

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1