LOTR: Rings of Power

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah, this gets its own thread.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER

Starring Robert Aramayo, Morfydd Clark, and Markella Cavanaugh

--

Premieres on 9/2/22 on Prime Video

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Evidently they dont have the rights to the silmarillon, so. . . Yeah. I'll give it a shot, but it looks cheesy as hell.

The trailer has got a Two Trees of Valinor scene, which I guess will be a flashback from Galadriel, so apparently they can use the material from The Silmarillion at least that way.

• Like 1

There's the Comic-Con trailer. So I have to ask... this is clearly a prequel to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings movies. Sauron hasn't forged the rings yet (although apparently they know he's evil already, which does beg the question of why they ever accepted them), and so on. But there are plenty of black characters in this, and yet there aren't any in the Peter Jackson films. Is this series going to be about how the Dwarves, Elves and Hobbits all got selectively genocided?

On 7/21/2022 at 7:48 PM, Matt D said:

Give it a couple of years.

No.

Drow were fine when they were malicious behind the scenes manipulators living in a depraved society.   Then Drizzt Do'Urden, the biggest D&D Mary Sue novel character since EGG's Gord the Rogue, came along and fucked up everything.

After that, D&D caved into fan service and created a good Drow goddess to qualify the existence of "good" Drow society to the delight of emo neckbeards the world over because playing a good-aligned surface elf just wasn't good enough.

Edited by J.T.

So am I the only one who thinks that this looks a way better version of Angelic Sauron than Amazon's version?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This ended up on Page 2 and I forgot it existed. Early reviews yesterday had things over 90%. Now we're hovering around 85%. I think two episodes were released to critics and there was some sense from some people that it was slow since it's just set up, but otherwise people seem positive. The 10 year old is reading The Hobbit right now (admittedly as the bit she needs to read on her tablet every day to unlock games; she's reading the Skulduggery Pleasant series for her actual books) so I do think we're in the mood for this today.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Let us know how much Silmarillion it steals. 

It's off limits:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series/

Interesting question. As we understand it so far, Amazon's rights to Tolkien's work are the same rights that producer Saul Zaentz bought in the 1970s, leading both to Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord Of the Rings and eventually to Peter Jackson's films. These rights only include material from The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit. So anything that's mentioned in those books (including Lord Of the Rings' lengthy appendices) is fair game, but anything exclusive to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, or Christopher Tolkien's 12-volume History of Middle Earth, is off limits. So the Amazon series probably can't touch The Fall of Gondolin, for example. But Númenor is fine. However, some recent reports suggest that the relationship between the new production and the Tolkien estate has been good enough that the latter have allowed some leeway. So we may see some encroachment on the strict letter of The Silmarillion after all.