DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 7/6/2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

A few other thoughts...

So the Bucks are faces now?

I'm so tired of Penta now even as someone who was really into him in LU. This is the 5th or 6th time I've seen him do the "mask gets pulled off get beat with a small package" finish

I'm guessing the ATT guys where really indy workers. 

And I think it might be time to do a soft disband of The Dark Order. Don't do a break up but just let everyone go their sperate ways. John Silver has been a break out mens star and doesn't interact with the rest of the group much. Maybe he and Hangman can go after the tag titles, This is the first time in a while Anna Jay has done anything with the group. She usually has her own thing going on. So you have to singles that broke out. You may have something in Preston Vance so keep him in the tag team with Uno and if this trio's tournament ever gets off the ground you could do Uno/Vance/Reynolds (Or Hangman/Silver/Reynolds)

I was honestly thinking that’s where they were going with the Dark Order promo.

Speaking of promos, I forgot how great Moxley’s backstage promo was. WOTY candidate.

Roosh-Penta was my favorite Penta match. They brought the hate and some relative stiffness. Going to be a fun trios match when Alex and Jose face off.

Bowens being hurt apparently gave the Assclaimed the build it needed to really make the heel turn a big one.

That was also my favorite Shafir match, but I’m still just not seeing it. She took and sold a stiff beating, Toni seemed to really relish blasting her with forearms. She also showed a bit of personality as a second on Friday. Thunderstorm are off to a good start, hope they stick together once there’s a women’s tag tournament.

Main event was definitely a stiff brawl, shocked there wasn’t blood. Ending was interesting in concept but a little rough in delivery with Mox popping up a little fast from the cannonball and the broken bulldog choke...at least in. Y opinion.

Friday looks really great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

So the Bucks are faces now?

The BTE-Undisputed Era feud seems a long way off considering everyone involved except the Bucks is hurt.  And it’s not at all certain Omega will be back anytime in the foreseeable future.

I thought a Bucks face turn was in the cards anyway.  Cole seemed penciled in to be the heel in the BE-UE feud,  I think Bucks would have sided with Omega against the other three.

Add me to the list of people really into Penta in LU, but turning the channel when he comes out in AEW.  A little of his act goes a long way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, just drew said:

I actually thought the Ass Boys turn on the Acclaimed could’ve been done a bit better. To me, Billy should’ve been more conflicted. Like, he knows which team is the more talent, and that his sons are entitled little shits, but they’re still his kids. I’ll give them some time to play it out, though.

I thought it came across a bit off as well, with nothing in between him siding with the Acclaimed on Rampage and the turn tonight. It seemed like the angle was written for Billy to eventually adopt Caster and Bowens, but they (probably rightly) figured that the Ass Boys have no future without Billy and changed it up last minute. Like Austin and Colton are fine, but they're at their ceiling in AEW's loaded tag division. At least with Billy, they could be a reasonably credible gatekeeper trios act. Acclaimed still have upward mobility as a fresh face act and will be just fine on their own, so long term it makes sense long term to go this route, even if all the signs pointed the opposite way.

• Like 2

How can you say where their ceiling is, when they are so early in their careers? Both Austin and Colton Gunn are still in double figures of how many matches they've had. They're still green. They could be really good in a few years.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

How can you say where their ceiling is, when they are so early in their careers? Both Austin and Colton Gunn are still in double figures of how many matches they've had. They're still green. They could be really good in a few years.

I could be wrong, but all the signs I see say they're not going much farther than they are. They're only featured to the degree they are due to nepotism. Most things about them scream "generic," with the saving grace for both being that they look similar enough to make generic team, which there is usually a niche for. They're fine in the ring, dare I say even good, for their level of experience, but they don't project as wrestlers likely to be at the top of any AEW division. They also had the unfortunate luck of Christian stumbling onto "Ass Boys" which is going to follow them their entire careers. It was boon to get them off the perpetual Dark circuit, but is bad for their long-term prospects beyond being a low-card comedy team.

Their absolute ceiling is probably pre-Roman Usos, but that would involve them grinding as a team for 10 years because neither had any singles prospects (not due to talent, but the "which one do you actually push/what do you do with other one" dilemma). More realistic is something like 2.0 where they parlay their stooging abilities into a role as the low-ranking fodder in a main event stable. I'd still bet on them staying about where they're at before either of those, though. "Ass Boys" will always get heat no matter how many babyface teams go over them, which is an important role on the card and a difficult one to fill.

Austin Gunn is such a magnificent cartoony '80s heel with his over the top bumping and feeding. If you can't find a consistent spot for a very charismatic bump machine that makes his opponents look good then get fucked. Austin Gunn is #1 on my AEW power rankings followed by Hayter and Rush. Colton could use some of his brother's charisma but he's got some real nice bounce in him. I think he may be a better face than heel long term. I've been saying it for months but Austin is Buff Bagwell 2K22. Bless him. 

Felt like there was some more juice in Assclaimed before the turn but I'm glad we got what we got. "What are we going to do now, father?" lives rent free in my head. I hope they don't drop the leave it to beaver promos. 

• Like 6

I thought it was a good show as usual. I'm sad that they broke up The Acclaimed and Gunn Club all ready. SCISSOR ME DADDY ASS was probably the funniest thing Billy Gunn has been involved with in years.

I agree about Rush vs. Penta with the mask being used too much. Once it's a shocking. The fifth or sixth time not so much.

Moxley vs. King was a solid match. That running cannonball that Brody does is brutal looking.

Overall an enjoyable night of action. 

6 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I thought it came across a bit off as well, with nothing in between him siding with the Acclaimed on Rampage and the turn tonight. It seemed like the angle was written for Billy to eventually adopt Caster and Bowens, but they (probably rightly) figured that the Ass Boys have no future without Billy and changed it up last minute. Like Austin and Colton are fine, but they're at their ceiling in AEW's loaded tag division. At least with Billy, they could be a reasonably credible gatekeeper trios act. Acclaimed still have upward mobility as a fresh face act and will be just fine on their own, so long term it makes sense long term to go this route, even if all the signs pointed the opposite way.

The problem with Daddy Ass siding with Caster and Bowens is that would make Assboys the faces right? would throw the whole dynamic off

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I thought it was a good show as usual. I'm sad that they broke up The Acclaimed and Gunn Club all ready. SCISSOR ME DADDY ASS was probably the funniest thing Billy Gunn has been involved with in years.

Funniest thing since he was Cute Kip wearing Candice Michelles gear to the ring in Impact

7 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

They also had the unfortunate luck of Christian stumbling onto "Ass Boys" which is going to follow them their entire careers.

Christian?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FXFPmmeXEAM-BYM?format=jpg&name=small

New banner of AEW Champions.

Looks great but I wish the TBS title was on Jade's right shoulder. Same with the tag title on Nick Jackson. Don't hide it behind Thunder Rosa.

It's little production details like this that would go a long way to making AEW a much better brand.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2022 at 2:19 PM, The Natural said:

Most looking forward to Christian Cage as two weeks running, he's cut the two best promos this year. The first after his heel turn was tremendous, actually getting "Shut the fuck up!" chants.

Three weeks running:

What a twat.

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

So is Colt done done with DO/AEW?

I thought it was reported that internally he's been shifted over to The ROH brand full time. That's why they haven't brought him in to AEW tapings. He's in the same boat as Brian Cage. Still under contract and employed, but marked as an ROH guy now.

Weird tho there wasn't an official on screen reason / angle for him not being in DO anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

There was a reason he’s not in the Datk Order. His soul got transferred into a Banana.

That's an excellent reason, but I don't remember seeing that. Did I miss an episode of Dark?