DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

Watching one of my "comfort food" matches in Tyler Bate vs. WALTER and wondering..........why in the fuck isn't Tyler Bate on my tv playing the wrestling machine underdog babyface against Roman Reigns right now? Tyler kicking out at 1 of WALTER's powerbomb is legit one of my few "holy shit" moments from the past 10 years or so.  I don't know about ya'll but I need to see a Wrestlemania crowd chanting, "TYLER BATE...OHHHH...TYLER BATE" to the beat of Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Watching one of my "comfort food" matches in Tyler Bate vs. WALTER and wondering..........why in the fuck isn't Tyler Bate on my tv playing the wrestling machine underdog babyface against Roman Reigns right now? Tyler kicking out at 1 of WALTER's powerbomb is legit one of my few "holy shit" moments from the past 10 years or so.  I don't know about ya'll but I need to see a Wrestlemania crowd chanting, "TYLER BATE...OHHHH...TYLER BATE" to the beat of Saturday Night by the Bay City Rollers.

I'm still befuddled they went with Dragunov as the guy to dethrone WALTER instead of Bate. Feels like Bate should have been moved over to regular NXT already if he wasn't going to lead the UK brand.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

Cornette has mentioned this on his podcast and now it really bugs me. A babyface will be getting beaten down and no one comes to help! Where are his friends? Even if he's a loner does he have not the t of his peers? Hottest act of the last 10 years in WWE? Three fun loving guys who are real life friends

That's one thing that I think helped Hogan become such a mega babyface, especially at the start in 84/85.  The babyface locker room always had his back. Lots of instances of him standing tall with Andre, JYD, Tito etc. 

Compare that to recent Vince booking like Cena to make out with his buddy Zack Ryder's gf. Which served no booking purpose other than to make the top babyface look either like an asshole or a dummy. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Hey now, he isn't quite that short. 

He is. The top of his head is the same height as my chin. That makes him 5'3-5'4". Exactly the same height as those lads. He's just had his height less exposed because he's been hiding in NXT UK where almost everyone is under 6 foot.

I think it also blends into the argument about ensuring guys don't get lost in the shuffle and everyone has something to do/direction.

In that era - guys went years where their entire purpose was just feuding with a particular manager and their latest signing, even across promotions. Your reason to exist was to fight the Heenan Family/Devastation Inc/the Horsemen etc.

.....although that really didn't go so well for Kazarian.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

He is. The top of his head is the same height as my chin. That makes him 5'3-5'4". Exactly the same height as those lads. He's just had his height less exposed because he's been hiding in NXT UK where almost everyone is under 6 foot.

His official height is listed as 5'7. Still not as bad as Adam Cole's I suppose.

13 hours ago, zendragon said:

I imagine the conversation goes something like this HHH: "ole fuck face is gone"

Trips will probably have a lot of similar conversations in the coming years I'd imagine...

"Hey Miro. Yeah, the old sack of shit is gone. We're already coming up with new Rusev Day shirt concepts for your return."

"Hey Keith. Yeah, the bastard's gone. No more singlets or Bearcats. Just a big push on your return."

"Hey Mox. Yeah, fuck that old piece of shit. We already have you main eventing Mania against Roman. You can gig every PPV if you want. Send Renee my love."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As long as Nick Khan is the one holding the purse strings, I wouldn't feel like WWE is any less volatile to work for than it has been. No doubt Triple H & the way he runs things and writes TV is going to be an insane improvement (in my opinion). But Triple H isn't the guy making the call on is Bray worth $6mil a year. Is Braun worth $1mil a year. Like sure Triple H is head of talent relations and can sign whichever free AEW guys he wants when their deals are up. Hey Miro we'll give you $1mil a year to come back. Keith Lee we'll give you a $1mil a year to come back. But when it comes to the end of the fiscal quarter if Nick Khan doesn't like the profit margins he's still got the power to go slash whoever he wants from the roster.

There's a bit of conflating going on. Triple H has all the creative power in the world right now, but executive power / final say is not his. He's still at the mercy of Nick Khan climbing that MK ladder. Triple H is only the Vince McMahon of the on screen product. He's not actually the Vince McMahon of the company.

• Like 4

I feel like I remember some rumblingz of maturity issues with Bate that kind of put the brakes on his career.

But it would make sense, given that’s always a risk when a guy hits it big at such a young age.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No.. that's true but Steph's also a co-CEO.  Hunter gonna have a lot of pull also on that end.  

Right. But if they really had all the power, why would Steph & Khan be co-CEOs? If the keys to the kingdom were theirs, wouldn't Steph be the sole CEO? And if they kept Khan (which by all rights he is a top tier cooperate exec they would want to keep), why wouldn't they put a very specific hierarchy in place that shows Steph is above him? The truth is (going by all the rumors bashing her when she took hiats) the board doesn't believe in her as an executive. But they do believe in Khan.

So the way I read the situation, Steph is co-CEO for visibility purposes. To project a certain PR image. Oh this isn't such a big deal. Vince left but Steph has been doing this for 20 years and this isn't actually a big change that should rock the boat. While that is the public face of the decision, the behind the scenes reality is the board would much rather Khan be the one pulling the strings. Because it's all about the profits. Bray Wyatt who? Who cares? Just make more money this quarter than you did this quarter last year.

Basically the treatment of the talent will a bit better. But it's still cooperate wrestling with a cooperation running it for profit. The infrastructure is too big to change. Khan is going to have say in everything financially related for the foreseeable future. And let's not forget, his vision is even more ruthless than Vince's was.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Basically the treatment of the talent will a bit better. But it's still cooperate wrestling with a cooperation running it for profit. The infrastructure is too big to change. Khan is going to have say in everything financially related for the foreseeable future. And let's not forget, his vision is even more ruthless than Vince's was.

That can be all true but to me.. if Hunter wants a man/woman..  he'll get them. 

I agree with you. If he wants someone he's going to get them. My point is from a talent perspective, how is that any different than it was? He can get them. We both agree on that. But there's still no job security in WWE. NK will be able to cut anyone and everyone if he sees fit. So do we get a perpetual cycle of Triple H signing people, Khan releasing them, then Triple H re-signing them? No. Because NK is above Triple H in the pecking order.

Triple H can sign whoever he wants to however much he wants. But ultimately it's still NK's whims and really the finances of the company that will dictate if talents get to stay through the deal they sign.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Triple H can sign whoever he wants to however much he wants. But ultimately it's still NK's whims and really the finances of the company that will dictate if talents get to stay through the deal they sign.

Who gets to offer the terms of the contract? Is HHH allowed to put no-cut clauses in to pre-empt that? Or things like “early termination of deal automatically pays out 3x value of deal plus voiding of no-compete”?

I mean you don't have to offer Keith/Miro/whoever a million a year to come back as I'd be gobsmacked if AEW is paying them anywhere near that. Wyatt and Braun were very much "you guys cost way too much and have to go" where getting them to come back would likely cost big bucks (although with the way CYN is panning out perhaps not for Braun...), if those fellas like and trust HHH and say $400k/year tops what AEW pays then that may be enough to both get them back and not knock the budget out of whack.

Also Nick Khan likely isn't an idiot, cutting guys in that specific way would just lead to reports of chaos behind the scenes and the company jumping the rails without the founder and that's the last thing any of them want. They all are likely talking to one another and if there is a handful of guys Hunter vouches for and says will be a big part of the shows they aren't gonna bat an eye at paying them reasonable amounts. If Hunter comes up with two dozen names like he seemed to want to do at times with NXT 1.0 that is when things will be more... complicated.

I am actually rather curious what would happen if an AEW wrestler just publicly went on twitter and requested their release. Legally they'd be stuck but given how much AEW's audience was likely strongly opposed to WWE not releasing talents in similar situations I wonder if it'd just be easier to let them go than take the image hit.

This is more just random musings than thinking any of the big AEW names are close to doing that (not even MJF IMO), I just used Miro and Keith because they were mentioned a couple posts before mine.

19 hours ago, AxB said:

Yes, definitely in the "same bracket" at least, if not exactly the same same height as those two. My under 5'7" ass had definitely something on him back in 2017, so he can't be much taller than your estimate. Not that it's any kind of problem to me. Not since that Dijakovic match on Youtube portion of Worlds Collide and that was still sometime before the WALTER matches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, username said:

I am actually rather curious what would happen if an AEW wrestler just publicly went on twitter and requested their release. Legally they'd be stuck but given how much AEW's audience was likely strongly opposed to WWE not releasing talents in similar situations I wonder if it'd just be easier to let them go than take the image hit.

This is more just random musings than thinking any of the big AEW names are close to doing that (not even MJF IMO), I just used Miro and Keith because they were mentioned a couple posts before mine.

Supposedly they let Cody go rather than exercise his option year in his contract.

When Kylie Rae requested her release, AEW just granted it. Not sure what happened with Bea Priestley, but clearly her contract ended earlier than it otherwise would have done, because she's Blair Davenport in NXT UK now.

Wasn't there a ton of other issues with Kylie Rae early AEW run that made her release easier to accept.   She was struggling with her issues at the time and I thought there was an urban legend involving Kylie and Brandi Rhodes and bullying.   

• Like 1