DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

16 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

$30k seems like a good amount to ask for when you don’t really want to take indie bookings but you want your fans to think you want to take indie dates.

Facts. Listen I'm not hating on anyone. Get that money. You're worth what people are willing to pay and she has a couple signings lined up. So she isn't over priced. But let's put some context in here. The Undertaker wants $10k for signings. In the 2000s Kevin Nash was $10k to book for a match. Braun Stroman's rate for non-CYN indy appearances is $10k. Sasha's rate is charging 3x more than Nash, The Undertaker, & Braun Stroman.

I think this is a wrestling bubble thing more than anything else. She has mainstream fame because of Star Wars. You add that on top of the wrestling fame, and maybe that price makes more sense in the Comic Con scene or something? I'm not sure. But I can say for sure putting your wrestling rate at $30,000 is you saying you really don't want to take any bookings. Because that rate is like double the entire gate most of even the best indys make. The only people that could afford to book her are the tippy top indy's and money marks that purposely lose money on events.

So AEW could afford that. Mayyybbeee GCW & MLW? Impact might be able to scrape together enough to use her once? But that's it. Knowing the ins and outs of the budgets for running indy events, that is crazy crazy crazy crazy money to ask.

• Thanks 1

@NoFistsJustFlipsThe $30k asking price is for appearances/signings. 

Think of it as when a lounge books a musical artist. There's an appearance fee that sounds crazy but you are 1. Selling tickets and 2. Selling way overpriced drinks. 

The comic-con circuit is similar to that.. you are paying Sasha Banks $30k (and others their fees) but you are going to get that all back with ticket sales and autographs. 

She is maybe a special case too because you're pulling from the wrestling crowd and then you are also pulling from the Star Wars crowd. Remember, she was in two episodes of The Mandalorian but there are already three action figures of her character. She has a cool looking character, so they sell well. 

She's not taking any in-ring bookings until 2023 and people are speculating does she want the time off, is it something contractual with the settlement or is there the possibility for her signing a new deal with WWE as they close in towards Royal Rumble season. 

• Like 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
19 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Facts. Listen I'm not hating on anyone. Get that money. You're worth what people are willing to pay and she has a couple signings lined up. So she isn't over priced. But let's put some context in here. The Undertaker wants $10k for signings. In the 2000s Kevin Nash was $10k to book for a match. Braun Stroman's rate for non-CYN indy appearances is $10k. Sasha's rate is charging 3x more than Nash, The Undertaker, & Braun Stroman.

I think this is a wrestling bubble thing more than anything else. She has mainstream fame because of Star Wars. You add that on top of the wrestling fame, and maybe that price makes more sense in the Comic Con scene or something? I'm not sure. But I can say for sure putting your wrestling rate at $30,000 is you saying you really don't want to take any bookings. Because that rate is like double the entire gate most of even the best indys make. The only people that could afford to book her are the tippy top indy's and money marks that purposely lose money on events.

So AEW could afford that. Mayyybbeee GCW & MLW? Impact might be able to scrape together enough to use her once? But that's it. Knowing the ins and outs of the budgets for running indy events, that is crazy crazy crazy crazy money to ask.

A lot of these Comic-Con signings, if I remember right, the talent gets paid up front and the convention recoups their costs by charging per autograph. It's why you don't go in and get autographs from wherever, you buy a ticket for each signing. So a convention's going to book Sasha for $30,000, then that convention's going to charge people $100 for a signing/photo op ticket. At that point you make money after 300 signings, and since most of those conventions have two or three signings in a weekend, they'll get their money back easily.

An indie show isn't going to have that kind of turnaround. When I was announcing, one of the groups I worked for booked Ric Flair in 2008. (Hilariously, his asking price was $16,000.) Even at $75 tickets, they didn't make their money back.

That said, I significantly doubt she's asking for $30,000 per date for wrestling bookings. To be honest, I'd be surprised if she was even taking wrestling bookings.

Thanks. Looks like I had my wires crossed and thought that was the rate for wrestling bookings too. I can definitely wrap my head around that price for Comic Con signings with the ridiculous amount of revenue being brought in and the structure you guys laid out. I can see that making sense and both parties ending up making a lot of money out of it.

But as Stefanie said, Ric Flair charged $16,000. How could Sasha charge double Ric Flair for a wrestling show ya know? That's where I was mixed up. Because almost no one could make money in that scenario from a promotion standpoint.

I don't know what she'll do wrestling wise. I think she definitely wants to continue wrestling but she also strikes me as someone who wants to do a lot of things whether it's something as big as acting roles or just personal, starting a make up/cosmetics line or doing something with autism (she helped raise her brother who is autistic). 

I could see her doing a dream match in Japan. I could see her wrestling a match with H.O.G. as she has a lot of connections there. I could see her signing with AEW. I could see her signing a part time deal to return to WWE. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Thanks. Looks like I had my wires crossed and thought that was the rate for wrestling bookings too. I can definitely wrap my head around that price for Comic Con signings with the ridiculous amount of revenue being brought in and the structure you guys laid out. I can see that making sense and both parties ending up making a lot of money out of it.

Yeah, plus I think when people see $30,000, they forget that conventions are multi-day affairs as well. Try booking a wrestler for two shows over a weekend and see that $10,000 for Kevin Nash or Braun Strowman whoever turn into $20,000, unless they feel like cutting you a deal.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Turns out the long missing Bret/Magee match was…. aired on WWF TV in 1988, but only in Arabic.

Good TV Match there... Bret controlled.  Tom Magee got whatever stuff on offense he needed to.  He showed off some moves for a guy w/ that stature. Can see why McMahon thought Magee could go places.  But yeah.. most the Bret Hart show. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Back what 2 decades ago when this forum had a Teddy Hart folder I got him  confused with Gary Hart and wondering how old ass Gary was doing moonsaults.

That’s why he kept calling the Gang “Moon.” Poor Gang didn’t know Mr Hart was calling for a finishing move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Back what 2 decades ago when this forum had a Teddy Hart folder I got him  confused with Gary Hart and wondering how old ass Gary was doing moonsaults.

To be fair, given the weirdos he managed, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gary Hart would've also had a cat army.

Edited by cwoy2j

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gary Hart brings out the cast of Cats to get his revenge on the Von Erichs, leading to Kerry and Kevin facing Rum Tum Tugger and Bustopher Jones at the Cotton Bowl

If you believe the rumors that are out there the idea of Kevin vs a cat takes an incredibly disturbing and awful turn.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think most people had a long list of things that would ultimately end Michael Elgin career.  Stealing protein  powder in Japan was not one of them I bet.  ?

Lol. He’ll just get banned from the country but what an idiot. The yen is super low vs the US dollar now as well, not sure how he’s paid I know he’s Canadian. But now is the time to buy in japan lol. I got curious about jail food in Japan so I googled and at least prison food looks very healthy and good quality. Do any of our Japan residing friends have info about that? Just curious about food all the time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think most people had a long list of things that would ultimately end Michael Elgin career.  Stealing protein  powder in Japan was not one of them I bet.  ?

At the end of the day, I just hope it means he stays gone.

7 hours ago, The Great ML said:

That’s why he kept calling the Gang “Moon.” Poor Gang didn’t know Mr Hart was calling for a finishing move.

I think it was posted here years ago but there's a Gary Hart promo where he explains him and the OMG used to be part of the same crew in Chicago. Moon was Gang's nickname.

• Like 1

Re: Sasha 

Another thing to consider is that she's a woman. A lot of dudes out there probably would pay >$300 for 2 minutes of her time, a handshake or a really uncomfortable (for her) hug and a picture. How much were her Cameos?

• Like 2

There's some weirdly misogynistic undertones in discussing Sasha's worth/right to expect 30k for her time. She's worth as much as someone is prepared to pay her. By the sounds of things, promoters are prepared to pay it. Nor does it play into any attempt to spin some diva narrative about it either.

The "just asking questions" route while choosing to avoid critically analysing whether the other men are worth the price tags mentioned is a bit of a red flag in that context for where this discussion is coming from. 

Beyond that, why does anyone care what she makes?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, hammerva said:

Yeah, that explains why the staff in the drug store were following me around the health and supplements section. They assume all big bald Canadians are out to steal their protein powder now.

At least Jeff Cobb got a laugh out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4