DVDVR Message Board

July 2022 Wrestling Discussion

16 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

He did that targeted limbwork at 30, and the same internet that gifted him a fruit basket loved it. It was inevitable that he'd try it again in a big spot and overdo it.

He wasn't working a rest hold at 4:30 in the morning at WM30. I swear to jeebus, he's still got Reigns in an armbar as we speak.

Also, 32 had that stupid Undertaker/Shane match with the magic box storyline that went nowhere.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Hogan vs Andre: This is the start of round 2.  I can tell you, as a kid, I wasn't hyped for this match.  They'd already rematched in February and also met in the Survivor Series a few months before that.  Hogan/Andre was beyond played out at this point.  I do like how Andre figured out his heel character and essentially became a video game final boss.  His moveset is all chokes and headbuts and his finish is, supposedly, a single underhook suplex -- but it's more like a hiptoss where he falls down.  Anyway, it's still increasingly sad to watch as you spend the match afraid he's going to hurt himself or fall down (which he does at one point and the announcers cover it by calling it a falling headbutt).  In another nonsensical finish, Hogan hits Andre with a chair in front of the ref, and then Andre gets it from him, after what feels like an eternity, and hits Hogan back.  Then the ref calls for a double DQ.  Logically, Hogan should have been DQ'd immediately.  Anyway, there is a funny moment where I legit LOL'd: Hogan and Virgil are fighting in the aisle and Hogan sets up Virgil for a vertical suplex.  Then he thinks better of bumping on carpeted concrete, so he just drops Virgil instead.  LOOOOONG posedown afterward ends my viewing night. 

The rest of round two is next.  Prediction: more Elizabeth boob shots, more dull, short matches.

If you had the VHS tape of this like I did, the 1st tape ended with Hogan/Andre and they did intermission. Can't remember what started the 2nd tape though. And yeah, that Hogan suplex on Virgil was uuuuugly. He had VIrgil up and was like, "nah, fuck this."

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:19 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Yes, for the a good portion of his career, it was Chicago.

I remember there was a pretty funny joke during the brief Road Warriors/Luger & Sting feud before their Chicago Street Fight where Luger says something like he's not ready for the street fight because he's actually from Oak Park or another Chicago suburb.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Just wait til you get to Brown-Piper @Technico Support ?

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Aw man.  So much of the racist, sexist,homophobic 80s WWF stuff bugs the shit out of me on these rewatches.  With the exception of Mania 3, I mostly ffwd'd through Adrian Adonis' matches because it's so tasteless.  I'll make sure I'm having a drink during Piper/Brown because that shit was gross.

You'll be spared now since that no longer exists, the match has been removed entirely from the Peacock. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Hey bud if it makes you feel better you could think about how Piper used the wrong kind of paint and ended up stuck looking like that for a week or so...

I thought it was someone pulled a rib on him and stole the special type of solution to get it off. So he had to walk through the airport looking like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember there was a pretty funny joke during the brief Road Warriors/Luger & Sting feud before their Chicago Street Fight where Luger says something like he's not ready for the street fight because he's actually from Oak Park or another Chicago suburb.

Yeah, I saw that Nitro where that happens not too long ago. Why didn't Luger shoot back with, "waitaminute, aren't you guys from the suburbs of Minneapolis?"

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought it was someone pulled a rib on him and stole the special type of solution to get it off. So he had to walk through the airport looking like that.

IIRC it was Andre who stole the paint remover. Or at least that's who Piper gave the credit to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

IIRC it was Andre who stole the paint remover. Or at least that's who Piper gave the credit to.

I kind of remember Piper blaming Jake, I’m sure he blamed others besides Andre and Jake. 

Edited by Mister TV

7 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I kind of remember Piper blaming Jake, I’m sure he blamed others besides Andre and Jake. 

Knowing how much he hated Mr. T, I'm surprised Piper didn't blame him for it.

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Knowing how much he hated Mr. T, I'm surprised Piper didn't blame him for it.

I don't know if all the stuff wrestlers from the Mania I-II era say about Mr. T being phony tough is true or just wrestlers putting over wrestlers as being the toughest people in the world.

But I do know know that Piper is lucky Bad News was a professional, because Allen Coage could've ripped Piper's arms off, shoved one down his throat and the other up his ass, and given him a self high five in his abdomen if he'd wanted to.

Of course according to Piper he was leg-diving Kevin Nash in his mid-40's and woulda gone after Brock Lesnar if he'd bumped him a second time during the Hogan b-day party angle in his late-50's, so maybe he was the phony tough guy after all...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mister TV said:

I thought he only blamed Mr Fuji?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

See, this is why physical media is important. 

Not to get into the same ugly argument we got into last time about this, but that match ain't exactly the empty arena match with Lawler vs. Funk or a Tupelo Concession Stand Brawl. It's a pretty terrible match in a terrible for reasons we all know storyline. Also, it lasts all of three minutes or something weird with an awful finish. I get the completist angle of this like I said before, but it's barely worth watching it on Dailymotion or somewhere 30+ years later. When someone made the case of about what if Allen Coage's grandkids (apparently the WWE Network/Peacock is the only place you can see WWE content in 2022 or no one collected VHS/DVDs in the 32 years since) wanted to watch this, my first thought/question is why would you want to ruin wrestling for them by watching that awful travesty of match even w/o the overt racism of blackface Piper? Why not have them watch his pre-WWE stuff or his SNME match with Hogan which was probably his best WWF match during his run? I wouldn't immediately go to a lowlight of lowlights even if it's at Wrestlemania. And also, yeah, I'm pretty sure they watched it and weren't that thrilled or enamored by it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nothing to do with any of the current discussions happening in this thread, but I took a nap earlier and put on an ECW playlist I have saved on YouTube. I woke up, and a Dr Death versus Raven match was ending, and then a Gangrel/Vampire Warrior versus Tommy Dreamer match started. Talk about two people I never knew had stints in ECW, how weird.

Now I’m about to go to sleep, so I put on a playlist of 90s All Japan - and the first match is Bam Bam Bigelow versus Kenta Kobashi. What’s next, Big Bossman versus Toshiaki Kawada??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

If you had the VHS tape of this like I did, the 1st tape ended with Hogan/Andre and they did intermission. Can't remember what started the 2nd tape though. And yeah, that Hogan suplex on Virgil was uuuuugly. He had VIrgil up and was like, "nah, fuck this."

Yep.  I remember renting it on two tapes.

17 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Hey bud if it makes you feel better you could think about how Piper used the wrong kind of paint and ended up stuck looking like that for a week or so...

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

13 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

13 hours ago, Mister TV said:

10 hours ago, AxB said:

I thought he only blamed Mr Fuji?

Need to start that "apocryphal wrestling stories" thread because this is definitely a candidate for "sounds great but probably never happened."

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Need to start that "apocryphal wrestling stories" thread because this is definitely a candidate for "sounds great but probably never happened."

AKA The Roddy Piper Pinocchio Thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Let's not and say we did.  Because I'll set the over/under on 2 pages before someone brings up the Savage/Steph story.

Also, from @Gordlow via my thread:

On 4/14/2020 at 1:23 AM, Gordlow said:

Here's an excerpt from an interview I did with Bad News back in 2004:

One other thing I’ve always wondered, how did your family react to Roddy Piper painting himself half black?

My family didn’t like it, I didn’t like it, but him and Vince thought it was a great idea. I figured that if he was going to do that he was taking his life into his own hands, plus I didn’t like Piper anyway, he was a racist, so I figured if he got beat up for it or whatever, he deserved it.

What were they going for there?

I have no idea. I don’t know if it was just to make fun of us, I don’t know what they were trying to prove.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4