DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 7/1/2022

According to the FITE app, Rampage "kicks off with" "the first ever" 20-person Royal Rampage with the winner receiving a title shot against (interim) champion Jon Mox(ley).

oJnMxoy.jpg

According to my good wrestling chat buddy Rod(ney) (who used to post here as The Cobra 2 and who also lives in Japan and who once bodyslammed Naito into the ocean): "According to the match graphic, the battle royal will be held in two rings. The competitors will be Frankie Kazarian, John Silver, Rush, Orange Cassidy, Hangman Page, Konosuke Takeshita, Penta Oscuro, Powerhouse Hobbs, Ricky Starks, Keith Lee, Swerve Strickland, Darby Allin, Dustin Rhodes, The Butcher, The Blade, Max Caster, Tony Nese, Matt Hardy, Dante Martin, and Brody King."

(Also posted by AxB and confirmed by porksweats, who was there).

Winner is the first guy to fight Mox? Seriously, there are, like, 17 guys on that list who I'd love to see fight Mox. Prolly gonna be a heel, but I'd love for it to be Darby. He and Mox have great ring Chemistry. Brody King might do the best job of making Mox seem like a physical underdog, let him fight from underneath. I like Penta, Neese, and Hardy but they'd be my bottom three, the guys I'd be least excited to see win this particular Royal Rampage.

Rod and I agreed that Brody King is the guy whom we would both most like to see get the rub. Then I posted a "phrasing" meme.

So, Brody King wins, or we riot.

Or, like, 16 other guys would be OK too.

Even if Matt Hardy wins, we are unlikely to actually riot. It's not like that would be a bad match.

NFxODHY.jpg

Also I think I hate Takeasoup now. He has somehow leaned out since coming to America! And we all know damned well what he has been up to there.

Also: Nyla Rose vs Tony Storm. Yikes! They are gonna beat the hell out of each other! So much stiff violence! AEW's women's division rules now. 

Also also: Young Bux vs Bishamon. My autocorrect wants to change Bishamon to "Hispanic." What the hell, autocorrect! Are you trying to make Matt and Nick look racist? Android Fire's autocorrect is somehow worse than Apple's. (also worse than apples. Thanks again, autocorrect).

That's what I get for trying to save (a lot of) money I guess. 

I really really really hope El Phantasmo is still in America. Or any other wrestler from The Mysterious Orient (which is where Rod and I live) who came over through The Forbidden Door and somehow managed to avoid injury. It's not like this won't be a very fun match all on its own, but a run-in would ensure that I get to mark out constantly from the start of Andrade vs Fenix until the end of this Rampage, and beyond, including re-watches and discussion.

What a wonderful time this is to be a person who loves pro wrestling. I know I say that too much.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I THINK I read the result of the battle royal on Twitter and THUS I think it is going to be awesome.

I can confirm this Dean, it was an incredible ending.

Hobbs/Nese start it off also

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

In my decades of being here, I can't remember any other taped weekly show where we, as a community, so thoroughly avoided spoilers. EVERYONE read Smackdown spoilers the second they happened.

Indeed, and massive thanks to all who might know spoilers but don't post them.  It really makes the shows more enjoyable when even taped you don't know what happens.  And considering I can easily see eight people on the list who may win it it's great to see it play out instead of knowing in advance.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

In my decades of being here, I can't remember any other taped weekly show where we, as a community, so thoroughly avoided spoilers. EVERYONE read Smackdown spoilers the second they happened.

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Indeed, and massive thanks to all who might know spoilers but don't post them.  It really makes the shows more enjoyable when even taped you don't know what happens.  And considering I can easily see eight people on the list who may win it it's great to see it play out instead of knowing in advance.

We've such a considerate community on this message board. So refreshing to elsewhere on the 'net.

• Like 6

I always check the Elevation spoilers to see if anyone I know worked the tapings. Scrolled a bit too far and did see who won The Royal Rampage by accident. I won't indicate either way on how I feel about it. I will just say I'm looking forward to see how they get there.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Other than the Smackdown 6 era, I think people read spoilers to decide if it was even worth the time to watch or tape. With AEW so far, that hasn’t been a question.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I read the spoilers intentionally. Spoiler-aversion is for cowards. I wish they taped Dynamite too so I could get the results early. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Cody is still in WWE

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Royal Rampage was kinda disappointing aside from the incredible visual of Brody choking a limp Darby for the elimination. I get that if you want to elevate guys like Brody and KOR you have to give them Ws, but nobody believed either had a god damn chance against Mox so they just feel really flat as choices imo.

Nick getting in some greedy cool spots with the double ring set-up. Beautiful.

Storm/Rose was pretty good too.

• Like 2

Awesome!  After ten four star plus matches in seven days, let's clean the palette with a stereo Royal Rumble.  OH NO! THE WHOLE MATCH IS IN PICTURE IN PICTURE!  The Butcher starts off by crushing Darby against the safety rail!  John Silver and Hangman Page hug and do some hijinx after Double Suplexing Powerhouse Hobbs!  Rush comes in a beats on Johnny Hungee!  Rush beats on Ricky Starks!  Butcher and the Blade work over Darby and Max Caster!  CAN MAX AND DARBY WORK TOGETHER!  Penta and Rush beat on each other outside the ring and I am SO into this feud.  John Silver is eliminated by Hobbs!  Shane Strickland comes in and eliminates Max!  CAN SHANE AND DARBY WORK TOGETHER!  Keith Lee and Powerhouse Hobbs are in the same ring!  Oh awesome!  We can get picture in picture in picture in picture!  Matt Hardy comes in in the tiny screen!  Hey!  It's Dustin Rhodes.  I was thinking yesterday- when is Dustin Rhodes wrestling again?  Rush lowblows PENTA and PENTA drags them both to the floor.  Andrade hits PENTA with a chair.  BRING IN DRAGON LEE AND LET'S GET THIS FEUD ROLLING!  Dante Martin will be eliminated spectacularly, I'm guessing.  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA!  He hits his Flying Lariat on Swerve.  He hits his Blue Thunder Bomb on Darby!  HE SUPLEXES DARBY AND SWERVE!  AT THE SAME TIME!  YAAAAY! KONOSUKE!  It's Brodie King!  I think I read that he wins this.  I can only hope.  JANE!  It's Summertime!  Dante doesn't die when eliminated.  TAKESHITA and Orange Cassidy FACE OFF!  Cassidy eats a Takeshita Brainbuster!  OH NO!  B and B eliminates Takeshita!  Everybody gets eliminated in like 20 seconds!  It's Darby versus Brodie King for the title shot!  King's cannonball is as GNARLEY as Toni Storm's Flying Hip Attack!  Brodie King!  I did read that earlier!  Well Brodie motherfucking King versus Jon motherfucking Moxley will TOTALLY rock.  Konosuke Takeshita was the TOTAL Superstar of that match.  That was fun.  KONOSUKE TAKESHITA! BRODIE MOTHERFUCKING KING!   Hook says something incomprehensible.  Hook IS the Ultimate Warrior!  Hey!  It's Hirooki Goto on my free TV!  CLUBBERIN!  MORE CLUBBERIN!  Nice Locomotion Northern Lights Suplex by Matt Jackson.  Now HE Suplexes two guys at once, but not all crazy like Konosuke Takeshita did.  ESCALARA by Nick Jackson!  Matt Jackson hits a Jerry Lawler fistdrop during picture in picture. IATIF. YOSHI-HASHI is our face in peril during the picture in picture!  He makes the HOT TAG!  A lot of stuff happens! Many nearfalls as Goto and Y-H burn through their finishers!  Meltzer Driver!  The Young Bucks win!  That was good.  Nyla and Toni Storm!  This should be good.  I dig Marina Shafir hanging around Nyla.  WHY ARE THERE NO TAG BELTS?  I am not noticing Toni Storm's pants.  I love that Toni Storm's elbow strikes are 60% stiffer than 90% of the New Japan guys last Sunday.  AWESOME!  MARINA SHAFIR CHEATS FOR NYLA!  Mannnn, IATIF.  Marina CHEATS EVEN MORE during picture in picture!  Toni takes an assbeating on the outside.  Nyla and Shafir versus Deeb and Martinez is your money match.  Nyla beats the fudge out of Storm and fish hooks her like three different ways.  I will find out tomorrow if the crowd was behind her while Nyla was beating the hell out of her,  FLYING HIP ATTACK!  German Suplex!  Pendulum DDT for the win!  Marina attacks Storm postmatch!  Thunder Rosa makes the save!  I can only assume it will be Shafir/Nyla vs Storm/Thunder Rosa and that'll be good.  That was a fun episode.  AEW RULES FUCKING GODDAM WORLD! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Oh and how dirty did they do Roosh with that vanilla dog shit sundae of a theme song? Oh boy oh boy was I sad to hear that.

edit: good call, Dean, with the shout out for them highlighting Takeshita so much. He is incredible.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4