DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 6/29/2022!

DEAN

I was going to post my thoughts last night but ended up having to help out my wife with something and then it was bedtime, as I started my DVR'd watch at 8:30 (took advantage of "cooler" temps to mow the front yard).

I didn't know what "Jane" was but I did recognize that song from classic rock radio. Matches the character better I think. Match itself was fine, the story it told was top notch. And Best Friends are back, in tie dye track suits! Is Trent scowling a subtle hint?

Christian Cage is getting 1970s "get stabbed in Puerto Rico" heat. Luchasaurus as the evil dark dino could be fun. Serpentico is the best bumper in the business?

Caster's rap was fire. Super hot crowd tonight. The reaction from Assclaimed at FTR was great. Fun match, Gunns are good at stooging and bumping/selling although still need to work more on ranas. Danhausen and Caster would make a decent singles match. FTR are top guys and will hit a million suplexes. Feels a little too soon to have the break-up in my opinion but will be a good feud, and I expect Daddy Ass to choose his sons in the end.

Not a lot of room for matches with a 1 hour main event, but the Jade squash was a little disappointing. Feels like there is a lot going on all at once: Athena, Stat, and the Jade being "unmanageable" and due for a humbling/swerve.

Not much to say about Blood and Guts that hasn't been said. Can't believe they give a match like that away. Feel bad for Santana, think he blew his knee out on the tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Hard to work an audible there, but sort of made for a weird visual. Many crazy spots. So many tacks. Sill not sure what the rubbing alcohol was for, I was thinking it was for a Wizard fireball burn. I think I said "holy shit", "what the fuck", and "oh my god" about a dozen times and at one point my wife came from across the house to see if I was ok. Sammy's bump was both insane and probably as safe as that bump could be, very well planned and executed. The giant swing on top of the cage was harrowing. Good finish, and I'm glad it didn't immediately segue into a Kingston-Claudio brawl (although I'm wondering if King was hurt). I can imagine the post-match chat "Fuck you, Claudio, that was my fucking win, this is my fucking fight" "Shut the fuck up and enjoy the win for once, you asshole"

Final thoughts: Menard and Parker are made men; those canucks know how to bleed. I said above, I think Yuta and Claudio could be a fun tag team, they had some good chemistry and did a bunch of classic old-school double teams, plus the European Uppercut-German Suplex combo. And this was the first I've seen Claudio/Cesaro believe it or not, good lord he's big and mobile, perfect for the AEW top tier.

Looking forward to the Rampage Rumble.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the pictures of the Sammy fall, it was so well laid out. The big, white AEW logo at the front to make sure that it stood out from the mats, and marked the edge of the landing pad. The yellow drinks in the sweet spot, for extra visibility (and added a cool visual to the landing).

• Like 1

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  The ramp is an extension of the Jumbotron!  I just noticed.  Ethan Page is great at being an annoying asshole- something that you can see if you watch his YouTube videos- in that he is really nice but he has an edge that he can ENHANCE and make his heelishness come from a place within himself.  He is a method actor really.  They kind of do the Will Ospreay match with the extended heat segment on Cassidy, but Page is more direct in beating the shit out of Cassidy and they use the RUBE'S picture in picture to extend the heat segment- as opposed to Ospreay just being an overpowering asshole the first part of the match.  The difference is that Ospreay used freakishly athletic moves to cut off Cassidy's comebacks while Page uses a more traditional heel offense to cut off Cassidy.  This is more about Cassidy's weird offensive stylings against Page's Mid-South heel offense as opposed to Cassidy's weird offense against Ospreay's spectacular offense.  The basis of both matches is Cassidy's babyface comeback.  It's just that Ospreay has more spectacular moves than Ethan Page and that's the difference a good TV match and a 5 star classic.  It IS summer now that Cassidy is coming out to "Jane"!  Man, Christian Cage is so fucking great.  He waits for the crowd to remember that he TOLD THE TRUTH LAST WEEK!  HE TELLS THE TRUTH THIS WEEK!  He says "sorry" like a Canadian and it makes his evil truthfullness even greater when he says the only good thing about Detroit is that it's next to Canada!  I forgot he was Canadian until just now and it all makes sense.  I guess that's why the show is so Canadian heavy.  Christian should go whole hog on the evil Canadian thing and just go full Bret Hart Truth Telling Heel Canadian.  That would be awesome and would go along with the FTR/CM Punk Bret Hart Revival.  So fun.  I am not overly stoked about Jungle Boy versus Luchasaurus.  It will be fine.  I love that Dax Wheeler plays total straight man to Danhausen.  It makes everything better when they stay hard ass ass stompers when teaming with something as preposterous as Danhausen. The fact that FTR is so high on the Ass Boys makes Cash Wheeler make Austin Gunn look fucking great.  Dax is so channeling the intensity of Arn Anderson.  The Gunn Clubb are actually an updated version of the Wild Eyed Southern Boys- with Austin Gunn assuming the role of Tracy Smothers and Colten Gunn being the quiet good worker of Steve Armstrong.  And evil.  Max Caster is good at beating some heat onto Danhausen as they thuggishly beat down Danhausen during YOUR picture in picture.  Danhausen is a good face in peril and the crowd is with him in his journey to escape those who hate him for dubbing them the Ass Boys BEFORE HE WAS EVEN SIGNED TO AEW.  FTR makes the hot tag and they do Stereo German Suplexes like the Rock and Roll Express would do Stereo Dropkicks.  FTR is using German Suplexes as the new babyface dropkick.  TAZ saying "IT'S A MIRACLE! " when Anthony Bowen walks is very beautiful.  Man,  Bowen didn't come close to connecting with the crutch.  Austin Gunn turning serious heel is going to be REAL fun.  "YOU betrayed me, DADDY!"  Jade Cargill is so transforming into a true Bryan Danielson disciple as her original flurry of offense is very Dragon-like.  Leila Gray got the Toni Storm memo and lays it in for a second before being overwhelmed.  Who was it that noticed Keira Hogan immediately taking off her heels when Athena's music hits?  That was fucking great.  It would be awesome if they continue Leila Gray trying to join the Baddies like Toshiro Mifune in the Seventh Samurai.  She's a good wrestler and she's definitely hot enough- not that I notice those kind of things.  BLOOOD AND GUTS!  They should have played Wild Thing on a loop again.  It is so the Song Of Violence and has been since 1994 with Onita.  Man, I think the opening sequence with Claudio did more permanent damage to Sammy than the big dive through the table. Tay Conti was the best noncombatant ever in a double cage match.  Daniel Garcia is built for this match.  So according to the picture in picture that you jerks have to suffer through, Sammy Guevara and Daniel Garcia are the tag team that we've all been waiting for.   They are both such bastards but Sammy is a flashy bastard while Garcia is a vicious violent bastard.  Wheeler Yuta channels FTR by hitting German Suplexes en lieu of dropkicks.  Jake Hagar and Claudio was a fun mini hoss battle.  I love how they build up the face off by both of them beel a little fella between the rings.  Garcia and Moxley is AWESOME as Mox channels Abdullah the Butcher and carves him up with a fork.  AEW has such a sense of history.  The Blackpool Combat Club getting in stereo hammer and anvils was awesome.  This match was a celebration of the weirdness of professional wrestling.  Jake Hagar is your secret superstar by cutting off the BCC and getting the JAS on offense.  I can't figure out what Ortiz did to his skull.  While you are SUFFERING through picture in picture, Lord Regal recounts the history of Hagar and Claudio being tag partners.  DID THEY HAVE MOX PILEDRIVE ANGE PARKER ON BROKEN GLASS... DURING PICTURE IN PICTURE?!?!?   I love that JON MOXLEY is THIRD in the Most Blood Derby.  It weird that Parker's nine alarm bladejob was set up in a tiny screen during a Statefarm commercial.  So Mox causes the two greatest crimson masks in the match- with the piledriver on Parker and fondue sticks on Daddy Magic.  Parker achieves a Top Five All-Time Crimson Mask.  Jericho in the Thrillseekers, Akira Hokuto against Shinobu Kandori, Brett Sawyer in Portland,  Cactus Jack in the KODM final, Angelo Parker at Blood and Guts.  Parker and Menard are your secret great death match workers.  Man, Menard is so fucking tough, as Mox bulldog chokes him into thumb tacks.  Mox goes face first into the thumb tacks.  Oh man, the Walls of Jericho in the thumbtacks is SO fucking HARDCORE.  Tay Conti, THAT JEZEBEL!  I think she hit a urican on the ref.  I don't understand why Jericho climbs to the top of the cage when he could just run to Lansing, but PRO WRESTLING!  I didn't notice last night that Claudio saves Eddie from tapping to the Walls of Jericho on top of the cage.  That is why Eddie isn't completely pissed by Claudio stealing the win.  That's some DEEP story telling.  That match was fucking insane but there were about ten things they wanted to say with it and they successfully stated it.  That was fucking great.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I didn't know what "Jane" was but I did recognize that song from classic rock radio. Matches the character better I think. Match itself was fine, the story it told was top notch. And Best Friends are back, in tie dye track suits! Is Trent scowling a subtle hint?

Jane: 

Also Jane, Orange Cassidy, and Wet Hot American Summer: 

Get it now?

And no, Trent's look didn't mean anything. He always looks like that.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I threw one in there that you missed from the skimming ?

Regarding Tay's dress/skirt, props for dressing EXACTLY like the type of character that would be with Sammy's character. After it happened I was like, yeah, Sammy would be with a woman who would have to pull her skirt back down in a fight.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Jane: 

Also Jane, Orange Cassidy, and Wet Hot American Summer: 

Get it now?

And no, Trent's look didn't mean anything. He always looks like that.

I love that movie (although it's been quite a while" and definitely did not make that connection, so thanks!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Did poor Bryce REALLY need to climb the cage at the end? Come on.

They either need to commit to sending a ref up there with the wrestlers or figure out a better way to communicate timing with the wrestlers  up there, so Jericho doesn’t have to repeatedly scream down ARE WE IN A BREAK? on camera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, EVA said:

They either need to commit to sending a ref up there with the wrestlers or figure out a better way to communicate timing with the wrestlers  up there, so Jericho doesn’t have to repeatedly scream down ARE WE IN A BREAK? on camera.

Statlander needs to teach them all ASL.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

A 4 man both (5 tonight inuding Regal) is just too much of a clusterfuck.

Didn't JR replace Schiavone? There were only 4 out there counting Regal.

Christian dressing like when Ron Burgandy gets fired & depressed in Anchorman is the best. Luchasaurus is now dinosaur Kane. The music sound realllll close to the original Kane music.

That Blood & Guts was so fucking good. Sucks Santana got hurt. Looked like the PCL & LCL ligaments might have gone (the ligaments on the sides of the knee). There was some awkwardness on top of the cage, wonder if he had a role to play in that.

I thought they did a pretty good job covering for him. It obviously wasn't a serious enough injury that he needed to be removed. Whoever posted that AEW did that to "not hurt the cage being opened spot".... you realize Eddie still entered the cage after that right? The door being opened had nothing to do with keeping him there. Probably had more to do with JAS losing and it making them look bad if they lose 5 on 6. It essentially still was 5 on 6, but visually there were 6 guys for each team in the cage.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

That happened last year, too. It happens a lot with Jericho in general. He's gotten really blatant in his spot calling and looking for time cues.

I'm not a fan of cage matches having people leave the cage, but I get why they did it here. I think they needed that finish to happen where everyone could see both guys in the submissions for it to work. I guess they figured that the top had the most visibility for that.

That said, another fun as hell show. What a couple of weeks for AEW! I think Friday will be at least fun, too. They're on a nice roll.

• Like 3

Shit, I forgot all about Christian being Super Heel of all time on the show. He's the best. And for my money, he's dressed either like Jacques Cousteau or an evil college professor. Give him a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows. 

The rubbing alcohol was a clear shout to Madusa tossing up Paul E.'s '80s cell phone in one of the War Games, or however she tried to smuggle it in. Too bad they didn't have Eddie bust out a pen to give a nod to the other day. I honestly didn't notice Santana's injury or him even disappearing from the match, though it felt like somebody was missing. My only complaint with the whole thing was the laying around on top of the cage for what seemed like a silly amount of time, ostensibly while they talked about what they were doing or just wasting time on purpose. Maybe both. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Shit, I forgot all about Christian being Super Heel of all time on the show. He's the best. And for my money, he's dressed either like Jacques Cousteau or an evil college professor. Give him a tweed jacket with patches on the elbows. 

The rubbing alcohol was a clear shout to Madusa tossing up Paul E.'s '80s cell phone in one of the War Games, or however she tried to smuggle it in. Too bad they didn't have Eddie bust out a pen to give a nod to the other day. I honestly didn't notice Santana's injury or him even disappearing from the match, though it felt like somebody was missing. My only complaint with the whole thing was the laying around on top of the cage for what seemed like a silly amount of time, ostensibly while they talked about what they were doing or just wasting time on purpose. Maybe both. 

I think the first laying around was trying to figure out when they were going to break. At the end, they seemed to just have to kill time since they ended a bit early. Timing the show is still one of TK's biggest weaknesses. I agree with whoever said they just need to find a sponsor next year that will let them show Blood N Guts commercial free.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Log said:

That happened last year, too. It happens a lot with Jericho in general. He's gotten really blatant in his spot calling and looking for time cues.

I'm not a fan of cage matches having people leave the cage, but I get why they did it here. I think they needed that finish to happen where everyone could see both guys in the submissions for it to work. I guess they figured that the top had the most visibility for that.

That said, another fun as hell show. What a couple of weeks for AEW! I think Friday will be at least fun, too. They're on a nice roll.

In full agreement with everything. May I add to the first paragraph, Jericho blading.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Log said:

Yeah, on reflection I didn't mind it as much here. Only times I liked cage matches going up top of the cage roof are WarGames 1992 (*****), Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker at In Your House 18: Badd Blood (*****) and The Undertaker vs. Mankind, King of the Ring 1998.

Edited by The Natural

47 minutes ago, EVA said:

One word: DRONES. I cracked up for Vanguard 1 hovering around the participants draped in a referee shirt...

45 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Statlander needs to teach them all ASL.

...and cracked up again for Jericho signing "I QUIT I QUIT" while getting hammered by Eddie.

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That Blood & Guts was so fucking good. Sucks Santana got hurt. Looked like the PCL & LCL ligaments might have gone (the ligaments on the sides of the knee). There was some awkwardness on top of the cage, wonder if he had a role to play in that.

Slight pedantic correction. The PCL is at the back of the knee (posterior). It and the ACL (anterior, front of the knee) are the cruciate ligaments because they cross in a crucifix arrangement and prevent the knee from sliding back and forth.

The ligaments at the sides are the LCL (lateral, on the outside of the knee) and MCL (medial, on the inside of the knee). These are the collateral ligaments (literally "both sides"), they prevent the knee from moving fro side to side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if they're going to go conflicted dinosaur when Jungle and Luchasaurus finally meet before the main boss showdown. Will be a super compelling moment regardless of the end result. I'm excited.

7 minutes ago, elizium said:

Slight pedantic correction. The PCL is at the back of the knee (posterior). It and the ACL (anterior, front of the knee) are the cruciate ligaments because they cross in a crucifix arrangement and prevent the knee from sliding back and forth.

The ligaments at the sides are the LCL (lateral, on the outside of the knee) and MCL (medial, on the inside of the knee). These are the collateral ligaments (literally "both sides"), they prevent the knee from moving fro side to side.

Doh. LCL & MCL is what I meant.

I've torn my ACL and needed surgery to repair it. And my kneecap did dislocate when it happened. So I'm unfortunately all too aware of which ligaments go where lol.

• Like 1