DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 6/29/2022!

DEAN

I understand why they did it for Forbidden Door, but J.R. not being out there for the first half of the show again has me wondering if they're thinking of doing a WCW style booth where they add someone at the top of the hour. If so, please take someone out. A 4 man both (5 tonight inuding Regal) is just too much of a clusterfuck.

Great show though and that main over delivered on FREE TV. FREE TV. Can't reiterate enough how happy that I am for 2.0. Think about this, June 25, 2021 they are released from their WWE contracts and within 370 days they go from being developmental fodder to main event stars in one of the most high profile matches of the year on national TV in front of 13,000+ fans. 

A E fucking W

• Like 11

Just watching as I work so I'll post my thoughts as I go:

I'm glad they're using the new stage from Forbidden Door and from a few Dynamites ago, it's the best/sleekest one they've done and I hope it becomes the new standard one. Makes the old one look thrown together by comparison.

Oh Shit, Jane is SO much better for OC than Where is My Mind. The slow build up to the pop when his name shows is its amazing. Makes me remember some wet hot american summers.

Loved the continued tease of the Body Slam until it was actually the finisher, more of this please. OC hit all the right notes for me today.

Luchasaurus has gone full Dino Kane Oscuro and it kinda works. Goddamn at that Chokeslam on poor Serpentico.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 6

What a fun night of ULTRAVIOLENCE~!   So much fucking blood.  I love matches like that but like others have said, it's hard to keep up the level of intensity when dudes are swooning from plasma loss and fatigue.  These matches are grueling. 

I know the death clock is supposed to build tension, but at some point you'd think it would be time to shorten the time interval in between competitors.  Your gas tank has to be insane to make sure the match is full of quality spots and God help you if you are the guy taking the big cage bump.

Good of the Jefferson Starship to sign the license for Jane to Tony for use in Orange Cassidy's entrance music.  It may be blasphemy, but I feel that Jane is a better walk out song than Where Is My Mind.... not that there is anything wrong with Where Is My Mind.

Claudio is the best new addition to BCC that one could ask for not named Sonny Kiss or Josh Woods.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

It sucks that Fubo TV has every network that I want, EXCEPT TNT. So, I'll be looking for recaps and or replays  to see how crazy this is going to be. (I used to have YouTubeTV but that was missing NESN)

OH man, that's why I dropped Fubo and went back to Sling.  I remember it was a Wednesday night last Summer when I tuned in for Dynamite and realized TNT was gone.  I changed streaming platforms right that second.

16 hours ago, just drew said:

None has been confirmed, but there are strong indications that Santana is unhappy and would just as soon leave. Stinks, because they should’ve had a run with the tag titles, but iiwii…

People are like, "if you go by Santana's Twitter..." and then I check his Twitter and there's nothing really there,  it's all the same indeterminate complaining you see on social media, what we called "vaguebooking" back in the days when I used Facebook and people would post vague whining just to get attention.  Sorry, if you're using social media and you're posting complaints, post the actual complaint.  All that being said, I hope he's okay.  I had no idea he hurt himself and had to look it up after noticing he wasn't celebrating at the end.

Anyway...

What a show!

The company is an actual wrestling fan's dream.  Who would have believed me four years ago if I told you there's be a new national promotion on actual TV and they'd dedicate the ENTIRE SECOND HOUR of their flagship TV show to an actual by god Wargames match on free TV?  What a time to be a wrestling fan.

I have many criticisms about Dusty Rhodes, but I have to give the guy all the credit in the world for creating this match.  Good guys are up when it's even, bad guys are up and getting heat when they have the advantage, rinse, repeat until you do your finish.  It books itself.  Wrestling is not hard unless you overcomplicate it.

I really liked the subtlety of the finish instead of Claudio turning OR the two fighting over Claudio "stealing the finish."  Kingston was frustrated but had to admit it was cool that they won.  They can slow build this if they want to (just not as slow as Julia Hart's turn).  Kingston was selling his back at the end and I hope that's just work.

LOL @ this large, conspicuously-placed, oddly-located, weirdly elevated "timekeeper's table" and Sammy's deadman bump onto it.

Was that Aubrey Edwards that Tay took out?  Also, if you know you're gonna brawl, don't wear a skirt that you have to stop punching in order to constantly keep from hiking up.  ? And settle down, all of you.

Angelo Parker crawling out through a gap in the cage like that gif of the octopus getting out of a boat through a tiny hole.  He's gonna steal Gresham's nickname.

LOL @ the botched rubbing alcohol gimmick, with Tay trying to pass it back to Jericho THROUGH THE BARS and spilling it all.

I did wonder what the hell everyone else was doing while Eddie and Jericho fought on top of the cage for 10 minutes.  Trivia contest, maybe.

Chuck Taylor is still alive, guys!

Are they giving JR rest and letting him just do mains/second hours?  That's cool.

OC gets his old music AND some orange juice!  We're partying like it's 2019!  Very good match with a fun story and OC winning with a BODYSLAM.  Excellent.

Christian has gone full on douchebag, dressing like a 70s English spy and wanting to hook up with young Jack's mom.  And then he unleashes HEEEEEEEEL Luchasaurus.  You know he's a heel because he dresses in black.

RAMPAGE RUMBLE!  That's gonna be cool.

Friday's Bucks match should be great but I hate non-title matches to see if the contender is worthy, from a logic perspective.  

Another Jade jobber match and she's in a feud with two people, which is really unfocused.  I did like the wrinkle of the designated jobber being turned to the dark side by Stoke, but that was about it.  Points to Athena for hauling ass (get your mind out of the gutter) to the ring and forcing Stat to keep up, like "oh, we're running running, not wrestler running?"

Caster's rap was amazing, as always.  Fighting a juggalo!  A white guy in whiteface!  Danhausen bringing out FTR is "waking up and choosing violence," as the kids all say today, I think.  So great.

What a show.  We all love wrestling.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Swift said:

Unfortunate closed captioning...

IMG-20220629-184107.jpg

There's a fungus among us!

Love the slow burn for Eddie/Claudio while still leaving the fires burning for Eddie/Jericho. Based on the chat they were having afterwards, it looks like there may have been something planned for the post-match, but Eddie was hurting too badly so they called an audible and nothing happened. Honestly, it works for Eddie: he's pissed at Claudio (right or wrong) for inadvertently stealing his shine at the finish, but he's going to swallow his pride for now and accept the win. He was also a good soldier from start to finish.

I was worried WBD (Warner Bros. Discovery) might put the kibosh on all the violence inherent in the AEW system, so the match turned out to be a violently pleasant surprise.

• Like 5

I just did my write up for Monday for SC but to me it felt like three matches in one. Everything before Mox brought out the glass was one thing (a little more sports entertainer-y with big moments and spots built to), which was then followed by the deathmatch that Mox brought with him, and then due to the poor footing (From the tacks) the last 10-15 felt akin to the real danger of a scaffold match in a way that these cell-top altercations usually don't anymore.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Eddie winning the title is going to be Mick Foley 2.0

It'll be an all time pop if they do it right and, damn it, I trust AEW to do it right.

Hmmm, what if Eddie wins the Royal Rampage? Him vs Mox leading to him vs Punk?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Eddie winning the title is going to be Mick Foley 2.0

It'll be an all time pop if they do it right and, damn it, I trust AEW to do it right.

23 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Hmmm, what if Eddie wins the Royal Rampage? Him vs Mox leading to him vs Punk?

I like the idea of Royal Rampage but give Eddie Kingston the AEW World Championship proper, not the Interim light. Grand Slam 2022 would so be fitting. Eddie Kingston has to win the AEW World Championship at some point, he's had one of the best AEW runs ever and he's the heart of AEW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

and if Eddie wins the belt, I'd absolutely HAVE to have it be from pinning Punk.  (Bias is showing, i love Kingston and couldn't care less about Punk).  It would definitely mean more if it wasn't an interim and also, him pinning Moxley wouldn't have the same impact.

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 3

Missed opportunity: when Garcia entered the match while Claudio had the giant swing on Guevara, they needed 10-20 seconds of Garcia chasing Claudio around the ring in circles trying not to get hit as they piped in Curly going "WOOB WOOB WOOB" over the PA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I need to watch the first hour, but from the sound of it, Christian's blowing Edge's heel run from this year out of the water.

Indeed he did - as someone else said Dark Luchasaurus is the new Tomko (and improved). 2 promos in 2 weeks and this whole feud is set to be fire. Christian is channeling some of old Brett and Owen Hart heat. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I just did my write up for Monday for SC but to me it felt like three matches in one. Everything before Mox brought out the glass was one thing (a little more sports entertainer-y with big moments and spots built to), which was then followed by the deathmatch that Mox brought with him, and then due to the poor footing (From the tacks) the last 10-15 felt akin to the real danger of a scaffold match in a way that these cell-top altercations usually don't anymore.

I went to my friend's house to watch last night and we were saying about how nervous we were when everyone started going up to the top of the cage. They also made it still feel dangerous after Sammy's fall. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, EVA said:

Maybe I’m just skimming the thread too fast but I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of SETTLE DOWN posts regarding the Tay/Ruby brawl.

I threw one in there that you missed from the skimming ?

Was that Aubrey Edwards that Tay took out?  Also, if you know you're gonna brawl, don't wear a skirt you have to stop punching in order to constantly keep from hiking up.  ? And settle down, all of you.

• Haha 3

I was going to post my thoughts last night but ended up having to help out my wife with something and then it was bedtime, as I started my DVR'd watch at 8:30 (took advantage of "cooler" temps to mow the front yard).

I didn't know what "Jane" was but I did recognize that song from classic rock radio. Matches the character better I think. Match itself was fine, the story it told was top notch. And Best Friends are back, in tie dye track suits! Is Trent scowling a subtle hint?

Christian Cage is getting 1970s "get stabbed in Puerto Rico" heat. Luchasaurus as the evil dark dino could be fun. Serpentico is the best bumper in the business?

Caster's rap was fire. Super hot crowd tonight. The reaction from Assclaimed at FTR was great. Fun match, Gunns are good at stooging and bumping/selling although still need to work more on ranas. Danhausen and Caster would make a decent singles match. FTR are top guys and will hit a million suplexes. Feels a little too soon to have the break-up in my opinion but will be a good feud, and I expect Daddy Ass to choose his sons in the end.

Not a lot of room for matches with a 1 hour main event, but the Jade squash was a little disappointing. Feels like there is a lot going on all at once: Athena, Stat, and the Jade being "unmanageable" and due for a humbling/swerve.

Not much to say about Blood and Guts that hasn't been said. Can't believe they give a match like that away. Feel bad for Santana, think he blew his knee out on the tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. Hard to work an audible there, but sort of made for a weird visual. Many crazy spots. So many tacks. Sill not sure what the rubbing alcohol was for, I was thinking it was for a Wizard fireball burn. I think I said "holy shit", "what the fuck", and "oh my god" about a dozen times and at one point my wife came from across the house to see if I was ok. Sammy's bump was both insane and probably as safe as that bump could be, very well planned and executed. The giant swing on top of the cage was harrowing. Good finish, and I'm glad it didn't immediately segue into a Kingston-Claudio brawl (although I'm wondering if King was hurt). I can imagine the post-match chat "Fuck you, Claudio, that was my fucking win, this is my fucking fight" "Shut the fuck up and enjoy the win for once, you asshole"

Final thoughts: Menard and Parker are made men; those canucks know how to bleed. I said above, I think Yuta and Claudio could be a fun tag team, they had some good chemistry and did a bunch of classic old-school double teams, plus the European Uppercut-German Suplex combo. And this was the first I've seen Claudio/Cesaro believe it or not, good lord he's big and mobile, perfect for the AEW top tier.

Looking forward to the Rampage Rumble.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the pictures of the Sammy fall, it was so well laid out. The big, white AEW logo at the front to make sure that it stood out from the mats, and marked the edge of the landing pad. The yellow drinks in the sweet spot, for extra visibility (and added a cool visual to the landing).

• Like 1