DVDVR Message Board

DYNAMITE- 6/29/2022!

DEAN

That main was fun but I feel in both the Blood & guts matches they really struggle with the final acts? Basically Mox and half the participants just disappeared for the final 10 minutes, being on top of the cage that long is a cool visual but basically they always drag it out way too long given all the people who aren't up there who have to just lie around. I feel like i always dog these matches when the people are coming out (sans the picture in picture breaks which are just awful in this context, broken glass only used during it is dumb) and part of the initial everyone is in the match now phase but they get so crammed with dead time and most of the participants having to more or less twiddle their thumbs. Basically they've so far managed to have fun matches but i think they need to switch things up if they want to have a great one.

Also the cage being so far beyond the ropes really hurts here.

Also also injuries are unfortunate but having a hyper violent "everyone is gonna kill each other and you can only win by beating someone into submission" match where everyone is very careful to not touch or wander near the guy who blew his leg out kinda breaks the illusion. Leaving the guy out there with a fucked up leg for 15-20 minutes because you don't want to spoil the door opening spot is fucking moronic, AEW is terrible at basically everything involving wrestler health.

In better news thank fucking god they finally decided to book Nyla for Rampage before pride month is done, running those adverts with her all month while not booking her was gonna look bad.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, username said:

In better news thank fucking god they finally decided to book Nyla for Rampage before pride month is done, running those adverts with her all month while not booking her was gonna look bad.

Friday is July 1st, Pride month will be done

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Maybe Sammy was the secret all star of the match.

Dear Tony K: I don't ask for much. (mostly because you give it to me without asking), but PLEASE, give Yuta/Claudio a tag run for a bit. Can you imagine those two versus the Young Bucks?

• Like 7

That main event was a trainwreck in the best way, and I also appreciate Sammy Guevara's willingness to cheat death for my entertainment.

But the most important part?

Orange Cassidy using "Jane" as his walkout music once again.

• Like 2

That giant swing on top of the cage was insane. Goes to show you how much trust Jericho has with Claudio. 

What was the point of pulling up the ring apron and padding? I don’t recall anyone taking any bumps on the boards. Could that have been a planned Santana spot or were they possibly going to do a flaming ring spot with the rubbing alcohol? 

• Like 5

Loved Blood & Guts (or Glood & Butts in my group chat). It really felt like they got across that the BCC and Kingston/P&P were better "fighters" and if it wasn't for the weapons and numbers advantage, the JAS would be screwed in this environment. Hope Santana is ok. Rest of the show was good and easy to get through with Orange Cassidy getting a body slam over being the highlight.

• Like 5

For Blood and Guts I wanted to see a bunch of blade freaks bleed, a bunch of insane stuff and The Mad King get his revenge. 

They gave me all of that but ended with an awesome new plot point to get us an awesome feud between two of the best to ever do it. 

Incredibly fun match. 

One thing I love about AEW is that you know the “serious” guys are huge marks for the comedy acts. I could just see Dax and Cash asking Tony to set up a way for them to work with Danhausen and The Ass Boys.

The Max Caster line about Flint’s water…

A+ night of wrestling.

• Like 12

That was great. This felt more chaotic and sadistic than what I remember of the last one. Wheeler Yuter (thanks Taz) reminds me of TAKA a lot, and that's something you don't hear much. His body style, the tights, the performance -- how he runs even. It's something weird I picked up on during the Nese match from the other day and it won't let go. I look forward to the INTERNATIONAL FEED chat. Mysterious Benefactors, assemble! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Glorious pro wrestling fucking violence.

Kingston/Claudio is going to be a HOT feud.

I want to see a Claudio-Yuta tag team against Cool Magic. 

• Like 5

Blood and Guts Thoughts:

The JAS with the Magic Mike entrance!

Kingston's Crew are appropriately amped for this FIGHT. Claudio is hype. Wheeler Yuta looks like he is completely methed up for the match. WIIIIIILLLD THING! Moxley with the Triple H water spit! Twice! Regal officially retires once and for all by putting over how much damage Claudio and Mox did him. Regal tries to recruit Stone Cold to AEW...

Claudio is going to be larger then so many opponents in AEW which is going to be huge for his push. Sammy is such a great smaller guy for Claudio to show off. Poor Sammy is such a great heel. Never should turn face. Regal is so good at putting over people that he's supposed to hate in his commentary.

REGAL WITH THE HEENAN REFERENCE! "Lose if you have to, win if you can, but always cheat". I nominate Yuta as the new Prince of German Suplexes. So many great germans. Pops it purposefully and with menace. 

So many awkward bumps with the distance between rings and cage. They really need to work on that for future matches.

SPINNING SPRINGBOARD UPPERCUT. I missed Claudio so much.

Regal loves the fight, you can hear it.

Moxley in early, and let the NASTINESS commence.

We're only halfway in and we have people getting forked up already. They need a pencil to honor the original sheik while they're at it, just for weapon bingo. And we have Color! Menard with the greatest lights are on but no one's home bloody look. Triple Hammer Elbows. Parker is a nine hundred percent great chickenshit heel before Claudio catches him and they get to play Parker Punishment Pinball.

Taz gets to use the word plethora! Someone gave him a word of the day calendar for christmas, didn't they?

Taz and Regal, being known as supreme ass-kickers, are loving this and putting it over so much.

And never mind Annie Lenox's Walking on Broken Glass, Jon Moxley's Piledriver on Broken Glass is the song of violence for the 2020's

and here's the thing about Blood and Guts compared to NXT WarGames. They are willing to go that extra mile in just sheer "We have so much hate that we're going to to things that would get us years in prison, and you can't stop us". And they don't spend a lot of useless time facing off when there's fighting to be done.

Did that Piledriver on glass happen during PiP (I got this... um. elsewhere). Yup. I didn't think they'd show the replay when they came back. 

Oh my god that pop up European from Claudio. You just hang in mid air, looking down at Claudio, and look down, and know what's about to hit you at nine billion miles an hour. So good. Eddie has that "deranged Austin" look down when he's looking at Jericho. Just casual *thwack thwack thwack thwack* with the cane to get his hands on Jericho.

That awkward space between rings strikes again with the Hagerbombed through the table. Looked so uncomfortable.

Sheesh. The last time I saw this much ring disassembling, Daniel Bryan was fired from WWE. God.

RUBBING ALCOHOL TO THE OPEN WOUND OF MOX! JUDAS EFFECT INTO THE TACKS. DAYUMN. Mox has twenty tacks in his back and legs and takes a DDT on the tacks for good measure. No surprise, but Jon Moxley is one sick fuck.

JR with the Jezebel reference. Classic.

Oh no, Jerico climbing to the top of the DIABOLICAL STRUCTURE (JR didn't use that one, but you know that he wanted to). and Kingston's like "You've just activated my trap card!"

Nice that most of the top of the cage is reinforced, makes this top of the cage stuff more active. I wish there was fighting in the ring, but you know, I guess they want everyone to focus on the roof.

Sammy says his goodbyes to Jericho, knowing what's about to happen.. I'd like to think he said "If I don't make it Chris, stay away from Tay, you got it?"

BON VOYAGE SAMMY! 

Funny, the landing is just perfect, as the towel on Sammy makes it looks like he's a neck brace already. Best time for a PiP. No one's gonna change the channel during THIS commercial break. HOCKEY FIGHT ON TOP OF THE CAGE!. 

I think this cage top area fight is a bit too long, but eh.

Running Boot in top of the cage? OW.

GIANT FUCKING SWING ON TOP OF THE CAGE? OK. That's fucking nuts.

DOUBLE SUBMISSION ON TOP OF THE CAGE FOR THE WIN.

Holy shit.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, A Guy Named Tracy said:

That giant swing on top of the cage was insane. Goes to show you how much trust Jericho has with Claudio. 

What was the point of pulling up the ring apron and padding? I don’t recall anyone taking any bumps on the boards. Could that have been a planned Santana spot or were they possibly going to do a flaming ring spot with the rubbing alcohol? 

I think they wanted a reason to focus on the top of the cage, so they destroyed the ring area to give people a reason to stay down in the ring, and let the fight on top be everyone's focus. The rubbing alcohol was smashed into Mox's open wounds, so I'm thinking that there was no flaming table spot planned.

• Like 1

Was it a MATCH of the year candidate? I dunno. I think that there's just way too much happening in here to call it a Match of The Year. plu syou know, technically, 85% of the in-ring stuff happened technically BEFORE the match begun (due to Blood and Guts not officially starting until all 12 men are in). 

FIGHT of the year candidate? Indubitably.

• Like 5

Yes, I'm on a posting spree, but that match has me super hype like a triple caramel Macchiato. Couple last thoughts for now.

I wish Jericho had taken the Parker spot? Why? Because "Parker Punishment Pinball" is fun wordplay.. "Jericho is a Pinball Wizard" would be Wordplay AND a reference to one of the greatest songs of all time.

Kinda interesting that they basically wrote their (interim) champion out of the match with 10-12 minutes to go in the match with the Judas Effect, Rubbing Alcohol and DDT on the tacks. Yuta didn't take any death spots either (gotta keep their Pure Champ unstained? ;))

Glad they used Tay Conti opening the cage door for two reasons, one of course is to allow the fight to go up top, and two to get her backstage so she didn't have to watch the Sammy flying spot from ringside. That's a bit much to ask of anyone, especially a heel.

Speaking of that spot, Kingston should've wished Sammy well in his future endeavors before throwing him off the cage. ? (no: Seriously, great job of foreshadowing the spot by mentioning that Hell in a Cell fall obliquely as well as Jericho taking the throw off the cage last time.)

and finally, UFC gives bonuses to the fight of the night. No offense to what went before it (which I will now go and watch), but if they do give out bonuses, this needs to be a 12 or so way bonus. They earned their fucking paycheck (and spot) tonight/

Anyway, going to shut up now and try to figure out how to dump this adrenaline high.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Yes, I'm on a posting spree, but that match has me super hype like a triple caramel Macchiato. Couple last thoughts for now.

I wish Jericho had taken the Parker spot? Why? Because "Parker Punishment Pinball" is fun wordplay.. "Jericho is a Pinball Wizard" would be Wordplay AND a reference to one of the greatest songs of all time.

Kinda interesting that they basically wrote their (interim) champion out of the match with 10-12 minutes to go in the match with the Judas Effect, Rubbing Alcohol and DDT on the tacks. Yuta didn't take any death spots either (gotta keep their Pure Champ unstained? ;))

Glad they used Tay Conti opening the cage door for two reasons, one of course is to allow the fight to go up top, and two to get her backstage so she didn't have to watch the Sammy flying spot from ringside. That's a bit much to ask of anyone, especially a heel.

Speaking of that spot, Kingston should've wished Sammy well in his future endeavors before throwing him off the cage. ? (no: Seriously, great job of foreshadowing the spot by mentioning that Hell in a Cell fall obliquely as well as Jericho taking the throw off the cage last time.)

and finally, UFC gives bonuses to the fight of the night. No offense to what went before it (which I will now go and watch), but if they do give out bonuses, this needs to be a 12 or so way bonus. They earned their fucking paycheck (and spot) tonight/

Anyway, going to shut up now and try to figure out how to dump this adrenaline high.

Try some Xanax. 

I'd been waiting to see a War Games match live since 1987. 

I'm glad that was the one. I was damn near up in the nosebleeds, so I missed a lot of stuff, but I dl'd the show as soon as I got home. 

FTRHausen was SUCH a cool surprise. Dax and Cash's lockups are a goddamn marvel when you see 'em live. 

I could go on, but I gotta work in the morning. 

Professional wrestling is the fucking coolest. 

• Like 12

Guys. We really only need three words and they’re my favorite three words:

PRO

WRESTLING

MOTHERFUCKERS

Fuck yeah, what a fucking night. Start with Jane and end with a top tier wargames match. If not for the tons of commercials, this may have been my favorite match of the year.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

Was it a MATCH of the year candidate? I dunno. I think that there's just way too much happening in here to call it a Match of The Year. plu syou know, technically, 85% of the in-ring stuff happened technically BEFORE the match begun (due to Blood and Guts not officially starting until all 12 men are in). 

FIGHT of the year candidate? Indubitably.

IMO, it isn't even the best cage match within the past week.