DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 6/17/2022

The Darby/Fish match from start-to-finish was glorious professional wrestling. Great goofball "Oh you're so GOTH!" mockery in the pre-match interview, followed by a really good match, KOR coming out and playing guitar on the chair, the Sting run-in that made sense (he knew KOR would come out no matter what), the great sell from KOR's nutshot, Sting kicking the bat after he just nutted KOR, Fish's begging off, etc. That is exactly why I watch fake fighting.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

Please tell me Athena's finished is not now called "the O-face."

That's what she originally called it before she went to the WWE.

Rampage was good tonight. Darby vs. Fish was a solid damn match

• Like 5

So I googled trout slapper...

Spoiler

troutslap.gif

Willow has gotten so much better than her days in WOW is crazy. Back then she seemed borderline untrained. Strat v. Jade in battle of the Amazons. I am here for it!

I feel like the end game for the Ass-claimed is Austin and Colton get tired of Max calling them the ass boys and turn on them turning The Acclaimed face in the process. I just hope before that Daddy Ass makes them all scissor and sing Kumbaya

• Like 4

• Favorite big of Martin vs Mox was the neckbreaker on the apron during PIP and one of the big transitions being Martin avoiding it in the ring. I liked the corner toss because it got over the idea that Mox is just going to chuck you around and if you try to block it, he'll brute strength you the rest of the way. They did a good job putting Dante over on commentary and I did like that he lost in the end (or at least got nailed by the lariat) because he got frustrated and took his eyes of the ball. Mox's finish was nasty.
  • Wish we had gotten more Bear Country doing Bear Country stuff in that trios match but it sort of protected them not to be in it. The act is pretty over. There's a world where they could be letting Max stretch while Bowens is out (they basically did that for Bowens when Max was out to high effect) and it'd only make him better, but this is probably more fun.
  • Long-ish Jade match. She might have outgrown the crossover splash thing but I still kind of like it. Her picking up the pedigree is great, in part due to the fact it works well with her finisher set up. There are still moments where she overly anticipates things but that'll come with time as she's in more and more situations. Willow's entrance is top notch. The music is different from what anyone else has.
  • I'd rather see Fish than O'Reilly. Yeah, I said it. I like the way he just dismantles a guy instead of doing a ton of moves and spots, and the ones that he does do look more nasty than highlight-reel-y. He's got this pitbull/bulldog thing to him. Someone (maybe Sting!) needs to do this to him though:

797QqO.gif

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

SATURDAY REFLECTIONS:  I love how they try to build up Dante Martin as having a chance against fricking Jon Moxley.  I love how they set up the mistake that Dante makes by allowing Moxley to go into Stan Hansen mode instead of keeping him at bay with lowgrade flippy highflying.  While YOU were in picture and picture, we few, we happy few, get to hear about the budding romance between Taz and Lord Regal.  Jericho, Taz, Excalibur and Lord Regal are the only commentating team to compare with the IMPACT! commentary team.  Martin is waaaay better now than he was a year ago.  If he can wrestle the Blackpool Combat Club every day, he will become the best wrestler to come out of AEW.  I love how he sets up his high spots when he is in with BCC,  Big Match Dante is so much better than Dark/Elevation Dante Martin.  Taz explaining the scissor party to Jericho is a great moment.  Austin Gunn has postmatch dance moves that will have to steal for my daughter's wedding in August.  Wilma Hummingbird is such a great candidate for the Baddies.  She would be a different kind of empowered woman.  She is a great babyface though.  I love that Jade does the BCC Chop Me Challenge and LOSES to Willow.  I love that Jade makes Willow look like a million bucks  by just selling for her, as all those squashes add into the backstory of the match.  The fact that I learned that the original idea was Will Ospreay vs Andrade makes me not like the Orange Cassidy substitution suddenly.  Why does CMLL have that much control  over Andrade?  KOR is the king of goofy faces.  I'm glad he will be around for five years.  I love that Darby Allin hits bumps as crazy as I have ever seen him hit in a match where Bobby Fish basically wrestles it like 1998 Koji Kanemoto.   It's weird.  It's like Darby Allin is Lee Scott if Lee Scott was pushed to WCW Saturday Night main events.  While YOU were watching picture in picture, Bobby Fish works the crowd like a good pro wrestler will do.  This all feels like Jericho is taking more control of the booking.  He is transitioning into the New Dusty Rhodes.  Bobby Fish is so fun getting beaten on because he is caught SHOWBOATING for the fans.  Bobby Fish IS El Samurai.  Fish has so much offense for Allin to sell and it makes this match a fucking great Darby Allin match- sorta like Allin assuming the role of Matt Riddle.  Like how Ricky Morton had great matches against the endless offense of Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard.   YA SEE, what they SHOULDA DONE is have the HOUSE OF BLACK come out with the lights going out and they look all confused as to why they are there!  That would have ruled.  Oh well, Sting's fine.  KOR makes that whole run-in by showing how you take a nutshot.  Yes.  

• Like 6

My main takeaways from this show:

- Willow Nightingale is a bit of a joy to watch due to her crazy amounts of charisma. Her music is amazing too.

- If they’re not careful the Acclaimed and Ass Boys will turn into massive baby faces, their entrance is getting crazy reactions.

- Hook vs. Who? Shota?

- Main event was crazy good and violent without the need of being too flashy, loved that they have them lots of time. Fish looked like a killer.

• Like 4

Just a great show top to bottom.

No one believed that Dante was going to beat Mox a week before main eventing the PPV, but announcers tried to sell him having a chance and both them and Mox did a lot to put him over in a loss.

Acclaimed are already over as faces, the eventual feud with them and Ass Boys over the paternal attention of Daddy Ass will be great. And Caster’s rap was great, highlighted by Austin’s wink after the “NDA” line. Interesting squash.

The HOB-DT promo was a drag until the “gangly creep” line. I was going to complain about the feud that will never end but I happened to catch the Smackdown main event and by comparison, this is still a young fresh feud.

Willow’s entrance music RULED! Match took a couple of minutes for them to get comfortable, really started picking up in PiP, ended up being great. Jade is getting there. Willow for ROH champion!

Pre-main event promos were awesome, really set a tone for what was to come. And what a fucking match, Darby made Fish look like a great white. I’m going to enjoy Darby while I can, I really can’t remember anyone who bumps like him, and he also sells so well. That pin looked like he was trying to set up the Scorpion Deathlock, so bridging it back into a flash pin was a shock.

Jericho was great on commentary all night, and shone in the main event. He really puts the wrestlers and the action over, Dean suggesting he is doing some booking (maybe specific to Rampage) makes sense in that light.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

That argument between Jericho and Regal about Johnny Saint had me howling.  

Mox is the man.  THE man, right now.  He proves a mean character doesn’t automatically default to a heel character.  He even countered “The Bret Hart Special” sleeper reversal in the corner.  To my knowledge no human being in history has ever countered this move.

Today I learned the difference between a Lariet and a clothesline.  Never stop growing.

This Ass Boys/Acclaimed Union makes me happy.  Bowens is brilliantly staying relevant to riding out this injury.  It’s like they re-invented the FBI.  They could be doing better with Bear Country.  

I might have spaced out during what I think was a Hookhausen promo.  It’s been a long week.

That was a quality match from Jade/Willow.  

Brutal dive from Darby.  Good grief.  

I think as a potential booster to the overall ppv buy rate.  I’d suggest doing  like a small discount on PPVs if you order early.  I know Don Draper would look at my suggestion and go: “A coupon? Really?”

Darby Allin is so good.  His selling and bumps really make you feel it.  I love that human grenade has a killer roll up finisher.  

Tony Skee-a-vone should’ve been there for the STING reveal.  It’s mandatory.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Matt D said:
  •  
  • Wish we had gotten more Bear Country doing Bear Country stuff in that trios match but it sort of protected them not to be in it. The act is pretty over. There's a world where they could be letting Max stretch while Bowens is out (they basically did that for Bowens when Max was out to high effect) and it'd only make him better, but this is probably more fun.
  • Long-ish Jade match. She might have outgrown the crossover splash thing but I still kind of like it. Her picking up the pedigree is great, in part due to the fact it works well with her finisher set up. There are still moments where she overly anticipates things but that'll come with time as she's in more and more situations. Willow's entrance is top notch. The music is different from what anyone else has.

Wrestling is best served buffet style. Right now TK has been giving us a lot of US post-ROH/PWG 200lbs give or take indie style (swerve, KOR, Fish, Neese, Atlas, Lethal, ect) we could use a larger serving of Bear County or JD Drake (Drake as a Bear Country Cousin maybe in the trios tourny?)

I continue to feel we are getting a slow burn story with Jade over looking her opponents. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Just a great show top to bottom.

No one believed that Dante was going to beat Mox a week before main eventing the PPV, but announcers tried to sell him having a chance and both them and Mox did a lot to put him over in a loss.

Acclaimed are already over as faces, the eventual feud with them and Ass Boys over the paternal attention of Daddy Ass will be great. And Caster’s rap was great, highlighted by Austin’s wink after the “NDA” line. Interesting squash.

The HOB-DT promo was a drag until the “gangly creep” line. I was going to complain about the feud that will never end but I happened to catch the Smackdown main event and by comparison, this is still a young fresh feud.

Willow’s entrance music RULED! Match took a couple of minutes for them to get comfortable, really started picking up in PiP, ended up being great. Jade is getting there. Willow for ROH champion!

Pre-main event promos were awesome, really set a tone for what was to come. And what a fucking match, Darby made Fish look like a great white. I’m going to enjoy Darby while I can, I really can’t remember anyone who bumps like him, and he also sells so well. That pin looked like he was trying to set up the Scorpion Deathlock, so bridging it back into a flash pin was a shock.

Jericho was great on commentary all night, and shone in the main event. He really puts the wrestlers and the action over, Dean suggesting he is doing some booking (maybe specific to Rampage) makes sense in that light.

Yeah, Jericho's been on fire for commentary as of late. I'd love to see an Elevation where he riffs with Wight and maybe toss in Ian Riccaboni for play by play before ROH gets up properly. Jade definitely deserved the Chris Jericho Sports Entertainer of the Week award.

• Like 3

New Rule: Only folks who can do topes to the level of Darby Allin can call that the tope suicida.

Actually, we need a tope ranking chart

My suggestion (From High to Low)

Tope Darby

Tope Suicida

Tope Peligroso

Tope Mal

Tope

"Tope"

Other thoughts: 

New and Innovative sell of the crotch shot as we get a two for one Yambag special. You KNOW Trips is watching and said to himself "Why didn't I ever think of that with Ol' Sledgy?"

If we're going to put Dante up against the various members of BCC, he needs to form his own squad of High Flyers.  Call it, I dunno, the Orlando Top Flight. Then run endless matches between the two groups. BCC! OTF! AEW!

If I had the ability to speak matches into existence, please, give me Bear Country vs FTR. Just a 8 minute or so match. Give FTR a chance to work as the face side of their usual "Midnight Express  vs Rock and Roll Express" techniques in the ring. Or perhaps Bear Country vs Swerve in Our Glory.. Come on, admit it, y'all want to see Bear Country and Keith Lee clubber each other senseless.

I'm shocked that AEW hasn't trademarked and marketed a "It's Good to be a Baddie" T-shirt.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DEAN said:

While YOU were in picture and picture, we few, we happy few, get to hear about the budding romance between Taz and Lord Regal.

That's Mr. Maniac to you.

• Like 2