DVDVR Message Board

MONEY IN THE BANK XIII - 7/2/2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I guess I'll be the one to say it - I hated the Liv cash-in. MITB is played out anyway, but that is two straight years the "face" winner of the suitcase almost immediately cashed in to do the totally non-face act of attacking someone right after having a match and winning in  a minute. It is the same as last year, everyone was like "NIKKI DESERVES THIS" and then she promptly lost the title and faded into the abyss.

I looked it up and all but the first year (Carmela held the case for a long time), they have burned through the women's case in a day. Five years in a row. They really don't know how to build to any original stories with it anymore. It's all just get it out of the way as quick as possible so they don't have to try and book two concurrent MITB stories. So I agree. It's played out.

2017 Carmela cashed in after 280ish days
2018 Alexa used it the same night
2019 Bayley used it the same night
2020 Asuka used it the next day
2021 Nikki used it the next day
2022 Liv used it the same night

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I guess I'll be the one to say it - I hated the Liv cash-in. MITB is played out anyway, but that is two straight years the "face" winner of the suitcase almost immediately cashed in to do the totally non-face act of attacking someone right after having a match and winning in  a minute. It is the same as last year, everyone was like "NIKKI DESERVES THIS" and then she promptly lost the title and faded into the abyss. I much prefer long-term stories leading to that big moment such as Becky when she first became The Man, or Bianca Belair's rise. 

Nope, I really dislike the visual of babyfaces opportunistically jumping champs after a match.  Backwards booking that usually doesn't help the babyface as much as an extended angle leading up to a hard-fought win would.  It makes even less sense when the champion is ostensibly a babyface like Rhonda.  An actual program leading up to SummerSlam would probably do more for Liv than a slip-on-a-banana-peel win.

Last year was arguably worse.  Nikki cashing in on Charlotte was a feel-good moment.  Charlotte was a heel and the two had been working a program where Nikki never actually beat Charlotte but would survive to the time limit.  No one was going to be too sad Charlotte got some payback.  But... Nikki not only jumped Charlotte after a longish match with Rhea Ripley.  She cashed in after Rhea got frustrated and beat down Charlotte post-match.  The sequence was: match ends, Charlotte celebrates a dq loss, Rhea hits Charlotte from behind, Charlotte gets rammed into post, Riptide, Nikki runs in and hands the ref the briefcase.  So, yeah, Nikki really looked like a coward there.  

Personally, I'd put the title back on Rhonda at WM but crowds seem into Liv, so i suspect she'll successfully defend the belt.  We'll see.  Either way, I think Liv will be sliding back down the card by Fall.

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

How underwhelming it will be when Theory cashes in and becomes the one to beat Roman.

He seems to be a guy Vince is Really behind especially for a guy that isn't at legend status but I don't see them going that far with him.

I'm happy for Liv but to me I feel like they should've went with her years 3 -4 years ago. I feel like WWE hold off so long in certain cases.

One wonders what the card would have looked like if they didn't move to the arena instead of the stadium, Roman would have to be on the card because there's no way you try to fill up a stadium without him. But trying to run 2 stadium shows in a 30 day period is some big hubris.  Just another baffling choice by these guys.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

To be fair, Asuka's cash in was more "Becky has to go on leave" than just burning the case.

Semantics. They used the case one day after she won it. Doesn't matter if Becky had to go on maternity leave. They could have had her vacate the title and do a tournament or something. The cash in wasn't a necessity to do there. But they did it to get rid of the case.

9 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I enjoyed every match except I skipped Lashley and Theory.

You should go back and watch it. It was a shockingly good match.

I went to the show and had a blast. One of the best cards I’ve ever attended live. The crowd was hot all night and not in that obnoxious “make shitty chants to get yourself over” sort of way either. We were all living and dying with every near fall in Usos vs The Street Profits. So much fun.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

He seems to be a guy Vince is Really behind especially for a guy that isn't at legend status but I don't see them going that far with him.

I'm happy for Liv but to me I feel like they should've went with her years 3 -4 years ago. I feel like WWE hold off so long in certain cases.

Man 2018 Liv was not very good at all (heck 2022 Liv is still pretty spotty), that would have likely been a disaster.

Because its a match big enough for WM, and there is a decent story in Becky falling as a crazed heel and eventually rising back up as a face to beat Rousey?

Like I'm more confused as to why you think they should rush such a match out now beyond your personal interest.

I think Liv doing a non-babyface thing to a babyface is a valid complaint if you're still nitpicky about strict heel/face dynamics. In front of that crowd and basically every crowd, Liv is the babyface and Ronda is the tweener at best. For internet fans, Ronda is a heel and, as has been discussed elsewhere, its not 2005 anymore when the internet fans and the "mainstream" fans are completely separate sects. The internet fans are the fans. Ronda is a heel who gets a big pop because she's a big star. Not one person was booing Liv Morgan cashing in. 

This is also why when we do get Becky vs. Ronda, it won't take more than a single promo to set up Becky as the babyface. Unless Vince or Rousey are still somehow crazy enough to not see the obvious fan choice. The crowd reactions for Lynch, especially now that she's no longer feuding with Belair (who is actually over as a babyface), have very obviously been "We'll boo you cuz you're playing the entitled psycho, but we still clearly love everything about you because your Twitter still tells us you're The Man." They've done the Becky-as-heel thing for close to a year and I'll credit the WWE for making it work to establish Belair, but let's not kid ourselves, she ain't Hollywood Hogan out there - she's Ric Flair, the "villain" that nobody really boo'd after awhile (which is kinda crazy on multiple levels all things considered). 

That being said I do wish they had had Rousey do something to show that she's a poor sport (which, I understand they didn't want to do because it would've tarnished Liv's "moment") after handing her the title. It didn't even need to be a post-match beatdown, but a post-match interview? I dunno. Just seems like they missed an opportunity there. I know there's been scuttlebutt about whether Rousey wants to be a heel, but I find it more and more plausible that Vince is just set in his ways and refuses to go "all in" on her as a heel because that's just what he wants (and actual crowd response be damned). It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Also, whoever said Theory/Lashley was good - yes, it was. Easily the best Theory match I've seen. He makes a good chickenshit heel in the midcard. That was the kind of match that actually made me stop and think, "Hey, maybe I can find enjoyment in Austin Theory." Then the Men's MITB match happened and I remembered he sent dirty messages to a 13 year old and I thought, "No, my initial assessment of my interest in him was correct."