DVDVR Message Board

UFC 275: Teixeira vs. Procházka (06/11/2022) - Kallang, Singapore (Singapore Indoor Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

No MMA fighter typically gets to write their own exit or go out the way they want. That's the tough thing about the sport. Fighters get old, they slow down, or they lose to someone better. Then they win and think they can keep going and have another run instead of just stopping.

Ortiz should've stopped after beating Ryan Bader. Wanderlei Silva should've stopped after beating Brian Stann. The allure of winning is too tough an addiction to walk away from.

Will really miss Joanna, she really built the women's strawweight division. Loved her style and technique. She has nothing to be ashamed of.

Main event was insane. I don't know what else to say. I feel bad for Glover Teixeira, but light heavyweight is looking very competitive again. So many moments when I thought it was over, or I thought Teixeira had it under control, then it kept going and going back and forth.

An immediate rematch wouldn't surprise me, but both those guys deserve millions for that performance, or more than what they get, easily. Easy Fight of the Year candidate too. At the very least, it's nice to see some life in 205 division again. That said, I don't see Jiri Prochazka holding onto it very long. It's going to be like pre-Jon Jones era all over again.

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Oh, Glover. Reminded me of Big Nog vs. Mir II.

Dude was in a grueling five-round war. It's easy to criticize the decision-making process, but he was going for the finish and thought he had the choke. It didn't work out well for him. Smallest of mistakes can cost you big. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Dude was in a grueling five-round war. It's easy to criticize the decision-making process, but he was going for the finish and thought he had the choke. It didn't work out well for him. Smallest of mistakes can cost you big. 

Why we love the sport.

• Like 1

Zhang wins, looking fantastic in the process, and Jiri gets gold in dramatic fashion. Fun show. Jiri is so physically dominant and a weirdo in his striking. But at the same time he's so bad defensively and while his gas tank was better than I thought he clearly slowed down later on. He's beatable but you got to survive some serious damage first. Never a dull moment in a Prochazka fight. His ability to escape some really compromising positions on the ground that was very impressive. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Speaking of end of year awards, 2022 Knockout of the Year? For me it's between Molly McCann's spinning elbow to Luana Carolina, Michael Chandler's front kick to Tony Ferguson and Weili Zhang's spinning back fist on Joanna Jędrzejczyk. I still have Michael Chandler's because nobody's put Tony Ferguson out cold before. Ferguson was out a long time and I was worried. Cameras didn't show him either.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think Uncle Dana will run immediate rematches in Jiri/Glover and Valentina/Santos. How did you score the latter, Jeffrey?

I'd go draw or 48-47, Valentina.

Also it's a good thing Jiri got the finish last night. Here's the judges' scorecards:

ufc-275-scorecard-teixeira-vs-prochazka.

Edited by TheVileOne

i was out of town last night so couldn't watch live, but i was SUPER hyped for this card leading up to it. Have only watched the main card so far, but that has to be an all-time great main card. Every fight delivered!

Jack Della Maddalena did his thing. great start.

Jake Matthews looked amazing out there. the patience, the accuracy, the power. wow.

Double Wow, the ending to Weili/Joanna 2! @The Natural i guess it didn't make much difference not being a 5 rounder. The spinning back forearm was a thing of beauty. Perfect placement. Faceplant. Goodbye, Joanna. You will be missed.

16 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

TAILA SANTOS And NEW.... wait what in the fucking hell kind of fuck.

I kinda thought Amanda Ribas got robbed last month but that was nothing... now we got the got damn Singapore Screwjob here.

Valentina/Santos was an interesting fight. i scored it for Valentina (Santos had control in rd 2 but didn't do a damn thing, while Valentina was peppering shots and still lead the stand-up battle). a score of 48-47 is perfectly acceptable IMO, but i'm with Elsalva:

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Didn't think it was a real robbery but 49-46 Valentina is a bad scorecard.

and then there's the main event. Been a Jiri fan ever since i saw him in Rizin. 

16 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

now THIS fight is all time great.

I've been calling for Jiri to be champ for years and have been hyped for it to finally happen here. Figured Glover was walking in to the inevitable. But once it got started, I was totally down with the old man legend run continuing forever.

Amazing back and forth fight, so many momentum switches back and forth. 

Totally thought/accepted Glover winning and then what the fuuuuuuuuuuck! Holy shit what a war. 

^^everything i could say. absolutely incredible fight. one i can't wait to rewatch. Jiri is the man. Glover is also the man.

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I don't see Jiri Prochazka holding onto it very long. It's going to be like pre-Jon Jones era all over again.

agreed. Jiri's a fun fighter to watch, but he's always been more than hittable and eats a ton of offense. It will be an exciting reign but i don't predict a long one.

• Like 3

Jiri's gas tank and chin did come through for him last night at least, but he was remarkably easy to take down and get on top of for Glover, who is not even a world-class wrestler. And he did look hittable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

And he did look hittable.

When has he not tho? That's been his MO since day 1. Makes himself available to make his opponent available and with his power he almost always wins out. He also is incredibly active and his best defense at this point is his pressure. He'll get countered into oblivion and not be able to recover soon enough I imagine.

Historically, how has Glover's control game on the ground been? Has he always struggled to keep people down?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

When has he not tho? That's been his MO since day 1. Makes himself available to make his opponent available and with his power he almost always wins out. He also is incredibly active and his best defense at this point is his pressure. He'll get countered into oblivion and not be able to recover soon enough I imagine.

Historically, how has Glover's control game on the ground been? Has he always struggled to keep people down?

Fair point. Sometimes fighting with your chin can work. It's a huge risk though.

Historically, I recall Glover having had a pretty good, dominant ground game. He's also done well against tough, grinding wrestlers in the past earlier on his UFC run. 

All I can think of was Glover smashing Anthony Smith's poor head into oblivion, man. That Prochazka was able to time and time again get out from underneath dominant positions speaks to his determination, strength, and illusive. 

Meltzer:

Regarding last night's UFC 275 show, the Jiri Prochazka light heavyweight title win over Glover Teixeira was one of the greatest fights in UFC history. I'd say even more exciting than either Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson and Jon Jones vs. Gustafsson I, which were the two best light heavyweight title fights in history. The scores going into the fifth round were 39-37 in favor of Teixeira, 38-38 and 38-37 for Teixiera (a judge giving Prochazka a 10-8 round). Teixeira was winning round five as well when with 28 seconds left he got choked.

Dana White wasn't there (he had a big weekend as his son turned 21) so there was no talk about who Prochazka will face next. I think a lot of people would want the rematch.

As far as Google searches, the show did 1.1 million which is very low for a PPV show. It was a great show but this was not a main event that was going to draw a lot. The last three fights all had a story coming out. Valentina Shevchenko nearly lost to Taila Santos. The fight could have gone either way 48-47. Most (73% of media scores) had Shevchenko so this was not a robbery but it was a very close competitive fight. Judge Howard Hughes gave Shevchenko rounds two, four and five. Judge David Lethaby gave Shevchenko four and five only. Judge Clemens Warner gave Shevchenko every round except three. The way I saw and most did was one and three for Santos and four and five for Shevchenko and it came down to round two.

Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Zhang Weili fight seemed the most talked about going to the show. Weili looked her career best, and Jedrzejczyk announced her retirement after. She had been talking during the week that if she lost she would likely retire so it wasn't a decision in haste. She was a great champion and real star who put the 115 pound division on the map as something significant as champion. She said she was 35, had trained for 20 years and wanted to have kids and start a career.

---

Edited by The Natural

Fight Facts:

Get Out Your Checkbook: When the dust settled, the UFC awarded six post-fight bonus honors to the competitors on the card. The main event earned “Fight of the Night,” while the other fighters that notched finishes beyond the headliner all claimed “Performance of the Night” checks. Only five other past UFC cards have seen more than four POTN bonuses, most recently in London at UFC Fight Night 204.

“Czechmate” is a Great Headline: Late into the fifth round, Jiri Prochazka submitted Glover Teixeira to claim the light heavyweight crown. Prochazka became the first fighter from the Czech Republic to hold a UFC title.

Denisa is a Girl’s Name: Prochazka put himself on a 13-fight win streak with his win over Teixeira. The last 11 victories for “Denisa” have come inside the distance.

Judges, Schmudges: With this win inside the distance, the Czech champion lifted his spectacular career finish rate to 97%. He has not needed the judges to issue a final verdict since he fought Mark Tanios in 2016.

A Regular Gaethje: Since making his promotional debut in 2020, Prochazka has picked up three wins, all by finish. Those wins have all been accompanied by bonus checks, and he has earned four post-fight bonus awards for those three triumphant performances.

It Ain’t Over till It’s Over: With 28 seconds left in the fifth round, Prochazka locked up the rear-naked choke and finished Teixeira. The time of 24:32 is the fifth-latest stoppage in company history.

The End Was Nigh: Throughout all the stoppages in UFC history, prior to UFC 275, only 25 had taken place in Round 5. Of those late conclusions, Prochazka’s is the third for a light heavyweight, and Teixeira has been involved in all three.

No Cigar: Of all the fifth-round defeats in company history, Teixeira is the only competitor to have been finished two times in Round 5.

She Sweated It: After five close rounds, Valentina Shevchenko kept her grip on the flyweight strap by split decision against Taila Santos. The Brazilian is the only fighter to ever win multiple rounds on official scorecards against Shevchenko at 125 pounds.

A Win’s A Win: Although it was close, Shevchenko notched another title defense, her seventh since claiming the vacant strap in 2018. In doing so, she set the record for the most consecutive championship defenses in a single women’s division.

Nipping at Nunes’ Heels: Between bantamweight and featherweight, Amanda Nunes defended her belts seven times, with two coming at 145 pounds and five at the lighter division. She and two-time foe Shevchenko are tied with the most total championship defenses in UFC women’s divisional history.

Ultra-Elite Company: Of all the champs, male or female, only five before Shevchenko had ever notched seven straight defenses: Anderson Silva, Georges St. Pierre, Jose Aldo, Jon Jones and Demetrious Johnson.

He Spins, She Spins: In a likely title eliminator, Weili Zhang scorched Joanna Jedrzejczyk with a spinning back fist to win the rematch. She is the first female fighter to land a spinning back fist in UFC history.

Wildey’s Here: Throughout her career, “Magnum” Zhang has earned 82% of her victories by stoppage. All 18 of her finishes came within two rounds, following the 2:28 time in Round 2 for her demolition of Jedrzejczyk.

See You in Nine Months: Following her knockout loss to Zhang, Jedrzejczyk left her gloves in the cage and announced her retirement. Should it stick, “Joanna Violence” will leave the sport with a litany of UFC strawweight records under her belt, including: Most wins (10, tied with Carla Esparza), second-most knockouts, most decision victories (eight, tied with Esparza), longest win streak (eight), and most championship victories (six). Her 1,754 significant strike connects places her overall with the third-most in UFC history, behind just Frankie Edgar and Max Holloway.