DVDVR Message Board

6/8/2022!- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

So Dragon Gate has the highest ratio of belts to wrestlers.  I give them the edge over WWE because WWE has so many developmental people listed on their roster.  I don't think anybody complains about Stardom having THREE big singles titles for 25 wrestlers but I think it has to do with AEW having limited TV time and not having enough time to develop title matches for their myriad of titles.  That should change when ROH gets TV.  Stardom is a totally different booking idea than US big time wrestling and it works because you really concentrate on like six wrestlers at a time.

EDIT: Meanwhile, AEW had a BATTLE ROYAL of pushed guys and folks were noticing that there were ten pushed guys not in it. Meanwhile, you have WWE with 6 hours of television with maybe ten pushed people.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, DEAN said:

EDIT: Meanwhile, AEW had a BATTLE ROYAL of pushed guys and folks were noticing that there were ten pushed guys not in it. Meanwhile, you have WWE with 6 hours of television with maybe ten pushed people.

AEW is great at cycling people up and down too. Try explaining to someone on March 1 that Wheeler Yuta would be the second to last guy in the battle royal last night with fans chanting his name. I mean, for that matter, I think people would have been surprised about O'Reilly too, though not nearly as much as Yuta.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

AEW is great at cycling people up and down too. Try explaining to someone on March 1 that Wheeler Yuta would be the second to last guy in the battle royal last night with fans chanting his name. I mean, for that matter, I think people would have been surprised about O'Reilly too, though not nearly as much as Yuta.

It's a totally different philosophy than WWE.  Go read the WWE roster page.  I don't know who 3/4 of the people are and I have been watching 6 hours of WWE for a few months now.  I can see why they cut so many people.  

• Like 3

Remember all those belts in AJPW 80's before the unifications. 

Anyway I separate the western women division titles and Japanese junior titles to their own categories or groups of numbers. Same for other titles like lower card titles or gimmick belts etc.

The NJPW Strong Openweight tag titles are coming soon for NJPW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

The only reason I can think of why the All Atlantic title would have the Japanese flag on it is because that first round match is on that njpw show…

Fair point in theory, but now explain why China is on there lol

Things I don't understand after last night's show...

Why do many people seem to hate Kyle O'Reilly. I get different people have different tastes,  but he's been pretty stellar lately and he was the exact right person to win the battle royal based on the last month or so. He's been having good to great matches with a pretty wide range of people and mostly winning clean. Almost every other wrestler loses something by losing that match,  him taking Moxley to the limit after his last few wins means that he can credibly compete with anyone in the roster. 

Why are we putting The Hardys into a ladder match? Do they want Jeff Hardy to end his career on live television? I really hate watching Jeff Hardy these days,  not that he's been bad,  but because he looks like he's about one bump away from a wheelchair and I don't want to be there when he takes that bump. 

They could have named that championship any damn thing,  why All-Atlantic? It just seems like a weird thing to be the champion of.  Is Aquaman a contender? Why not the All-Elite Championship? The World championship is the World's championship. Why not have the next step down be the promotion's championship? It would be like the U.S. champion being the de facto #1 contender,  because they are the champion of the "home" territory. 

I'm excited about Forbidden Door, but they need to do a better job on introducing the NJPW guys to the audience. Am I the only one who has no idea who those dudes with Will Osprey are? If not. If they were all in the room with you right now, would you recognize them?  Seriously,  what are their names? Do you remember? I don't. 

Ok,  I like Cole better than most sound here,  but why on God's green earth does he need to be involved in an Adam Page/Okada match?

Is Danielson going to be at Forbidden Door? If so,  who is he wrestling? Not Okada, not Tanahashi, not Osprey, most likely not Shingo... I'm not that excited about anyone else.

What do they need to do to get the audience to care about Thunder Rosa? I'm not taking about us,  we aren't the audience. We are people who will watch wrestling in languages we don't understand from time before we were born,  we don't count. How do they get the live audience who goes to their shows care about Thunder Rosa when she's not wrestling Britt Baker? The biggest issue with the division is that exactly one woman is over with the entire audience, and everyone else only really exists in relation to her. 

• Like 7

me when Hangman called out Okada:

Super Excited GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

me when Adam Cole inserts himself:

Excited Not GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

add me to the "confused about the 'All-Atlantic' belt" list. i was sure that was a Trios Title announcement, but instead it's this....other thing?

man, Marina Shafir is just kind of a reaction vacuum, isn't she? absolutely zero crowd investment when she entered. maybe it's the low key music? or maybe it was that awkward backstage promo? regardless of the reason, she should not be on TV.  the match was decent enough, though.

Kyle O'Reilly is the only one of the Undisputed trio that i can stomach. He has a weird personality that is just beginning to get a chance to shine through in those multiman promos, but his in ring style is a lot of fun. that DON win over Darby is looking less like a fluke and more like a future.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, twiztor said:

man, Marina Shafir is just kind of a reaction vacuum, isn't she? absolutely zero crowd investment when she entered. maybe it's the low key music? or maybe it was that awkward backstage promo? regardless of the reason, she should not be on TV.  the match was decent enough, though.

Yeah, I think the super low-key entrance with the violin music is a cool change of pace but I think you have to do something to make fans care about her first to really pull that off.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, twiztor said:

Kyle O'Reilly is the only one of the Undisputed trio that i can stomach. He has a weird personality that is just beginning to get a chance to shine through in those multiman promos, but his in ring style is a lot of fun. that DON win over Darby is looking less like a fluke and more like a future.

My favorite thing about O'Reilly is that he a douchebag heel, but never a coward. He is there to fight,  he may or may not cheat,  but he's not running from the fight. Other than that stupid rebounding lariat,  he also might have the best offense on the entire roster. Give me O'Reilly vs. Yuta asap. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Why do many people seem to hate Kyle O'Reilly.

I know this is a general question but it ties into what I want to ask @just drew

Considering your hatred for The Elite is it possible your hatred for Kyle is that he's guilty by association?  Let's say hypothetically him and Fish either joined BCC or went and did their own thing.  Is there a chance that you would like them more?  Or are they forever damaged goods to you.  This isn't me trying to fan any flames but a genuinely curious question I have.

And circling back to the the quoted question I think part of it is who he's with.  In the past I didn't like him due to being with Davey Richards though came around when he teamed with Fish.  Then UE was fine until the end and his feud with Cole plus teaming with generic green dude in NXT didn't light my world on fire.  It's been so long since I can remember Kyle being part of something I care for yet I want to believe there's something there.  So yeah, sign me up for a singles push and let's see how far he can go.  Because taking out anything else he's tied to his singles matches recently have been unexpectedly fun ones to watch.

I was pretty confused about the need for another singles belt, but if they keep it to non-US wrestlers only, that would be a pretty good gimmick. Good way to get a lot of guys from other companies in for one-off good matches that don't need much if any tv time to build. The name is silly, but at least it's "old school territory" silly and not "named after our tv stations" silly.

They really need women's tag titles more than anything though to get more value out of their roster.

• Like 1

I loved Kyle O'Reilly back in the "Coming down the aisle playing air guitar on the belt" period of the Undisputed Era. 

I still like him. 

I'm just sick to death of the Undisputed Era/Elite. It's been, what, four years? It's time to move on. 

It's definitely a guilt by association thing. When Adam Cole has been at the forefront for this long and wins the Owen when he really didn't need it, and the Undisputed crew has had SO much screen time over the last four years, it's just too damn much. 

Get them away from each other and don't run back the Kyle/Cole feud. Just let it be done. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I was pretty confused about the need for another singles belt, but if they keep it to non-US wrestlers only, that would be a pretty good gimmick. Good way to get a lot of guys from other companies in for one-off good matches that don't need much if any tv time to build. The name is silly, but at least it's "old school territory" silly and not "named after our tv stations" silly.

They really need women's tag titles more than anything though to get more value out of their roster.

I’ve said it and others have, too…no more women’s titles unless they’re going to do more than one women’s match on Dynamite.  If they REALLY want a women’s tag, they should unify the singles.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the outfits tonight Thunder Rosa's Bride/Game of death jogging suit, Toni Storms SM collar, battle of the well dressed men between Wardlow's flow print and Scorpio's Barber shot quart.

Wrestling was good to

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, (BP) said:

My primary issue with O’Reilly is that he reminds me of Hans Klopek from The Burbs and it makes me uncomfortable.

Reveal hidden contents

13963-CAB-E01-F-4-A23-BD3-C-29-D91-E9477

There's an element of that, compounded by the cupping marks he had (now obscured by band-aids?). That apart though, and given he's Canadian too & with a 'technical M&A' move set, presumably the gimmick he should really be aiming to emulate is Benoit's no-nonsense Crippler gimmick (without any reference ever to Benoit, obv.).

42 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I’ve said it and others have, too…no more women’s titles unless they’re going to do more than one women’s match on Dynamite.  If they REALLY want a women’s tag, they should unify the singles.

@CoachTonyK

there's a pretty simple way to get more interest in the women's divisions. it will build new stars and get more reps for those who need it the most:

PUT MORE WOMEN'S MATCHES ON TV

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Reverse hair vs hair tournament where the losers have to grow their hair out, revealing their embarrassing hairlines

E: It's called the Christopher Daniels Cup,  of course.

Didn't someone do this on the idies?

Other thoughts; the new belt two ways to make this work one they send it to Japan full time like WWF Lightheavy weight title or the NJPW US title more recently being defended in states. two book it in a separate fashion than the TNT title. Their was a period where in WCW the US title was based more around feuds between Curt Henning, DDP, Raven, and Goldberg. While the TV title had Benoit, Booker, Finley, Saturn and Rick Martel just putting on bangers every week. Make one these belts more of a "workrate belt" if you are gonna keep it stateside.

I like Adam Cole wearing the Owen. I hope he wears it every week the Owen carrying around a slammy.

"Lead by the visionary Tony Khan" listen I like TK and feel I'd like him if I met him in person but damn does he like hearing his name on TV, seeing it in print and getting his ego stroked!

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

Is Danielson going to be at Forbidden Door? If so,  who is he wrestling? Not Okada, not Tanahashi, not Osprey, most likely not Shingo... I'm not that excited about anyone else.

If he's close to 100% by the show I'd have to imagine he'll be featured. We all know that the chance to work in Japan was part of what sold him on going to AEW. Maybe ZSJ? he was talking that up recently.

Bryan vs Zack or Bryan and Yuta vs Zack and MiSu (or Despy or, say, TAKA) would be well worth getting excited about, in my opinion.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

If he's close to 100% by the show I'd have to imagine he'll be featured. We all know that the chance to work in Japan was part of what sold him on going to AEW. Maybe ZSJ? he was talking that up recently.

Bryan vs Zack or Bryan and Yuta vs Zack and MiSu (or Despy or, say, TAKA) would be well worth getting excited about, in my opinion.

Zack Sabre Jr vs Danielson would be some quality pro wrestling.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Matt D said:

Probably. I almost wonder if that's why it's called "All Atlantic," so it can represent something in the Atlantic theater while being defended primarily in a Pacific-based company.

I keep thinking All-Atlantic is a nod to "Mid-Atlantic"  like how the Owen belts resembled the old Stampede belts.

As for too many belts I really with they would only showcase the ROH/AAA/NWA/NJPW /IMPACT what have you on Battle of The Belts. make that show feel special and stop cluttering up Dynamite and Rampage with other promotions hard are

As for KOR he's a big example of my main problem with modern wrestling too many guys who are obsessed with being great workers but missed out on the ideas building a character or a gimmick. Like his matches deliver but I just don't care about the dude

• Like 2

Brandonetico is done being calm.

My Thunder Bae vs. Maldovian Murder Face Marina may not have had the most heat.  But it got it just right all the same.  Technique beats raw power this time around and I loved it.  Shafir does the same face my mom would make when I handed in my report card.  Bae looked hot in her Bride gear.  She is real good at that rasslin’.

I’m continually baffled by AEWs inability to do another Battle Royal as good as the All In preshow one.  This wasn’t bad at all.  It got a lot of little seeds planted throughout the under and mid card.  KOR fucking rules, but I get it that the Undisputed flavor being stale.  

Mox is fucking killing it right.  He counted his chip stack in that promo.  My dude is staking his claim that he is The Man in this business.  He gives William Regal the “willycobbles”.  Duh fuc?

Good promo from The Baddies.  

I watched the international feed this week.  That fucking ruled.

Wow.  Wardlow is a fucking DORK.  He dresses like my step father.  That doesn’t work for me brother.  That being said.  Let’s see…

20 security dudes x 3 power bombs a piece at least + 1(2?) for Sterling = 62 power bombs?  That sounds exhausting.  

I don’t want to see Jeff Hardy die.  But I have some airplane glue if he needs it next week.  

That Swerve fellow…

• Like 7