DVDVR Message Board

6/8/2022!- AEW DYNAMITE!

DEAN

1 hour ago, Casey said:

That's it boys, AEW is done. Sell it to Daddy Vince.

He’s already got one sub-million viewer development farm pal, not sure he needs another. Besides at 76 he’s probably looking at simplifying things rather than leaning into the crazy. When Carny Dave even is calling foul on some of these decisions, a moment of reflection is probably needed. A few defy logic.

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Look, I get that the naming of the All Atlantic title is as bothersome as looking at a crooked picture hanging on the wall in someone else's house. The other thing I wanted to add was that WWF had a European Championship that was rarely defended in Europe. I think this is probably as dumb as that and probably as annoying. We're stuck with it now though. I don't really know what else to do about it other than just deal with it until I'm not annoyed by it anymore.

The European Title didn't have a flag of like Brazil on it tho did it lol

If you have a region specific title the least you can do is not fuck up and put things not a part of that region on the title. 'Hey guys here's your new World Title with Mars on it. What? I know it's annoying but should probably just deal with it.'

Sorry dawg I'm just not in favor of allowing and supporting purposeful inaccuracies that just act to lower the threshold of average intelligence in society. ?‍♂️

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

I think more likely it will be the ultimate test of Excalibur's verbal pyrotechnics.

I NEED the security jobbers to all have names from Chuck Taylor's list.  "This is" Howie DeWitt, "New in Town" Luke Wilcox, Frank "Grabass" Hernandez, "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany, etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Let's put mars on it.

Let's put Mars bars on it.

Wait. Scrap that. Let's just get some Mars bars.

17 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

The European Title didn't have a flag of like Brazil on it tho did it lol

If you have a region specific title the least you can do is not fuck up and put things not a part of that region on the title. 'Hey guys here's your new World Title with Mars on it. What? I know it's annoying but should probably just deal with it.'

Sorry dawg I'm just not in favor of allowing and supporting purposeful inaccuracies that just act to lower the threshold of average intelligence in society. ?‍♂️

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing the more I think about this title.

I wonder what feedback the company making the title had. The more I think about this, the more I just want a logical explanation.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I NEED the security jobbers to all have names from Chuck Taylor's list.  "This is" Howie DeWitt, "New in Town" Luke Wilcox, Frank "Grabass" Hernandez, "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany, etc.

All Sack Drew Gulak, No Gimmicks Needed Steve the Samurai, Bareback Benny Figg

• Like 2

We just going to gloss over the fact that "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany is probably the single greatest sleezy indy gimmick name EVER and I'm incredibly sad that no one has ever used it for real.

That dude should be on posters for every State Fair show in the old Texarkana territory forever.

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

We just going to gloss over the fact that "Hard Wood" Rich Mahogany is probably the single greatest sleezy indy gimmick name EVER and I'm incredibly sad that no one has ever used it for real.

That dude should be on posters for every State Fair show in the old Texarkana territory forever.

He used it one whole time. Thank Mr. Stokley Hathaway for that.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=144118

• Like 1

It's a shame that for whatever reason, Chuck's real life personality hasn't transferred over to TV very well, if at all. Him and Trent are funny as hell, but when they get on camera, it's almost like they're really shy. It does make me think that Chuck would have really good future as a writer for people who need help with wrestling promos. Like he's better at writing things out than saying stuff on the fly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Tagging people is dumb and why tag you when you're vain enough to read it anyway. This shit isn't fucking reddit. If you want that, then go there. We're all in a discussion here. We all can read. Stop being weak.

No reason to get hot. You don’t like what I have to say, put me on ignore. Pretty weak to get so annoyed.

28 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Speaking of Miro, is Lana ever showing up or what? Feels like maybe they did a long tease there without knowing for sure if she was coming in or not. 

That was weird. I would’ve bet my lunch money she was coming in when Miro came back. 

The only reason I can think of why the All Atlantic title would have the Japanese flag on it is because that first round match is on that njpw show…

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

No reason to get hot. You don’t like what I have to say, put me on ignore. Pretty weak to get so annoyed.

I'm fucking around on a keyboard and typing out wild shit in between doing real work because I'm bored or I need a break. You don't even know what getting hot is.

Also, I have to laugh at the "pretty weak to get so annoyed" remark coming from the person who can't help themselves from saying the same tired shit about the same wrestlers every week, but you do you.

• Thanks 2

Also:

1) The class action lawsuit stuff is legitimately hilarious and a great way to chew up some scenery until they get to Wardlaw challenging Scorpio.

2) There are too many tournaments. Less is more. At the very least there should be some breathing room between the Owen Hart tournament tournament and the current one for a new title that you don’t need. and Matt D is right - they haven’t done enough work yet to differentiate the titles they already have. Another one just muddles things.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's a shame that for whatever reason, Chuck's real life personality hasn't transferred over to TV very well, if at all. Him and Trent are funny as hell, but when they get on camera, it's almost like they're really shy. It does make me think that Chuck would have really good future as a writer for people who need help with wrestling promos. Like he's better at writing things out than saying stuff on the fly.

The one time we really got a glimpse of Chuck's sense of humor was when he was cutting a promo for Orange Cassidy setting up a match with someone (Jericho?) and he said something like "and this time...THIS TIME HE'S GONNA TRY!"

• Like 3

Sure they have. The TNT title is the secondary title to the World, just like the TBS is to the Women’s World title.

All-Atlantic is almost 100% a way for AEW to have a constant presence in, say, New Japan, or NOAH, or DDT, or any other promotion - without having an AEW wrestler on the card. I’m willing to bet the house (lol what house??) that the first champion is from New Japan, and we now get an AEW title defended on NJPW shows.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sure they have. The TNT title is the secondary title to the World, just like the TBS is to the Women’s World title.

All-Atlantic is almost 100% a way for AEW to have a constant presence in, say, New Japan, or NOAH, or DDT, or any other promotion - without having an AEW wrestler on the card. I’m willing to bet the house (lol what house??) that the first champion is from New Japan, and we now get an AEW title defended on NJPW shows.

Probably. I almost wonder if that's why it's called "All Atlantic," so it can represent something in the Atlantic theater while being defended primarily in a Pacific-based company.

• Like 2

How many titles should a promotion have?  All information is from cagematch.net.

Promotion- Roster Size- Singles Titles- Tag Titles- Trios Titles

STARDOM: 25-  5- 1-1

NEW JAPAN: 63-  6- 2-1

WWE:  213- 11- 5- 0

AEW/ROH: (141/0)-(6/4) -(1/1) -(0/1)

AAA: 17- 5- 2 -1  

Stardom has a a belt for every 5 wrestlers.  New Japan has a belt for every 10 wrestlers.  WWE has a belt for about every 20 wrestlers.  AEW/ROH has a belt for about every ten wrestlers.  AAA signs nobody to a contract.

EDIT:  Note that I subtracted all the non-wrestlers from the roster size.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

How many did Zero-One have during the Hashimoto era? I feel like they must have set some kind of record, even if a lot of the were borrowed/imported from other promotions. I recall they also had plans for a "Super Heavyweight" title to help get Matt Ghaffari over but it never materialized. 

EDIT: reminding myself that, as stipulated by another astute poster earlier in the thread, I'm not a baby, I went ahead and looked this up myself. At one point they had 6 singles titles and 2 tag titles, which is pretty crazy. Pretty sure they had some other singles titles from outside promotions regularly defended there as well although I'd have to pore through results to confirm which & how many.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
Facts
  • Like 2